Next Generation Emulation banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
I am personally thinking of picking up either a 6 or 8 core Ryzen 2K to replace my I5 3570k system along with whatever replaces the 1070 on nvidias side. Should see a nice boost when streaming since my i5 3570k is feeling a bit of a squeeze when gaming and streaming at the same time. The i5 is still perfectly fine when gaming by itself but add streaming to that and yeah things take a dip.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Have things stagnated or Intel got lazy?
an i5 2500 is still good and I don't think there is a massive jump from that cpu to a current one.

@Lasnap Your i5 3570k is still solid.

Haven't followed latest benchmarks closely but we haven't seen a jump like we did from pentium 4 to Conroe in a long while. On AMD side I think there was a jump recently but Intel has been steady but slow.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
Have things stagnated or Intel got lazy?
an i5 2500 is still good and I don't think there is a massive jump from that cpu to a current one.

@Lasnap Your i5 3570k is still solid.

Haven't followed latest benchmarks closely but we haven't seen a jump like we did from pentium 4 to Conroe in a long while. On AMD side I think there was a jump recently but Intel has been steady but slow.
NOT when I am trying to play and stream at the same time its not. Which is why I am looking for an upgrade with 6-8 cores.

Also Ryzen was a MASSIVE jump over previous generations on AMD's side of things.

·
Administrator
15,433 Posts
I am going to ditch my 3570k soon with a 8700k, my reason? my z77 mobo is dying and I don't feel like getting another replacement. Getting artifacting for no reason and its not the display or the gpu as I tried both on another pc and it was fine. I also have never built a pc higher than mid range so this will be the first time (yes even with current gpu prices or future prices)

Also I can't use CEMU at framerates I like so that is the other reason. And yes streaming and other things running in the background while gaming has hit its limit on quad core.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
yup, this is shady as hell, this honestly looks more like a smearing campaign then anything else, in this cases companies are usually given between 90-180 days to fix, this gives them 24 hours and they went public first, if they where truly just researches with no affiliations they would have probably had at least the decency to contact AMD first. Also most of them its not exploits, but more of the virus variety, i dunno if for all of them atm but most require infection of the system rather then being able to be breached from the outside. A few of their disclaimers also sound fishy like the fact that they don't want to feel obligated to update on the site if it does get fixed, the name of the site: amdflaws is also really sketchy ...

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
I am personally thinking of replacing my i5 3570k with either a 2700x or 3700x depending on which one is out at the time I get the $1300-$1500 around for the upgrade. 16gb of ddr4 3000mhz ram 250/256gb ssd+4tb hdd I have filled both a 1tb hdd and 2tb hdd and whatever replaces either the 1060 or 1070 from nvidia.

This will be for streaming+Gaming.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Do you have a twitch channel??

I still need to see some benchmarks where it clearly shows a big jump in performance from my current build.

I know I don't have a great top of the line pc but I can't justify an upgrade for 10 to 15 fps more.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I am personally thinking of replacing my i5 3570k with either a 2700x or 3700x depending on which one is out at the time I get the $1300-$1500 around for the upgrade. 16gb of ddr4 3000mhz ram 250/256gb ssd+4tb hdd I have filled both a 1tb hdd and 2tb hdd and whatever replaces either the 1060 or 1070 from nvidia.

This will be for streaming+Gaming.
Due to the increased importance of ram with ryzen - not only their xmp speed, but also their ability to use manual timings - it's a good idea to make sure you get some quality ram. People typically recommend b-die. I've been told that 3200mhz with 14 timings is confirmed b-die, that's what I got and I can confirm it was b-die (and overclocked well so far).

I still need to see some benchmarks where it clearly shows a big jump in performance from my current build.

I know I don't have a great top of the line pc but I can't justify an upgrade for 10 to 15 fps more.
What's your current CPU? Right now the jump in performance is still limited for the most part. There's far more potential due to the huge increase in cores, but both Intel and AMD have somewhat limited higher speed per core, which games still prefer for now. Intel does have an edge in that regard, with AMD having an edge for multiple cores.
Personally, I did see a HUGE boost in a few games with great multithreading support, such as Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2. My 4 cores / 4 threads @ 4.4ghz cpu was limiting my performance hard in those games. HUGE improvement there. But games with older technology would have benefit more from 4 cores / 8 threads at 5ghz (for example) over the ryzen 2700x with 8 cores / 16 threads ranging from around 3.9ghz to 4.3 ghz depending on how many cores/threads are under use.

This video gave a quick test on the subject:

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts

twitch channel is https://www.twitch.tv/topken/

As for ryzen ans RAM I am aware of things hence going with at least 3000mhz.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
twitch channel is https://www.twitch.tv/topken/

As for ryzen ans RAM I am aware of things hence going with at least 3000mhz.
The issue is that, if what I was told is correct, 3000mhz and 3200mhz doesn't guarantee b-die ram. While 3200mhz + 14 timings should always be b-die (afaik).

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
I still have a haswell 4590 cpu and a GTX970 plus 16gb ram.

Can't justify right now +-800 bucks on a Z370 board + 8700k + 32gb ddr 4.

I don't spend that much time gaming on this pc anyways.

In a year or 2 we'll talk.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Definitely not worth upgrading if you don't feel a need for it. Honestly if your machine is capable enough to play the titles you enjoy then the only course of action is to spend money on a good monitor. My ultrawide does 100hz and has G-Sync and it owns bones.

Being on the fence about hardware, may as well wait for Zen 2 or the supposed 8 core intel's.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts