Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Aim 4 the stars...
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intel's already dropped their prices! (1500 -> 590 dollars). Do you think the Rizen is going to live up to AMD's claims?

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
In a mere technological sense, it's an expected minor update compared to what is currently on the market.

If you consider AMD's state prior to this, it is a major comeback. Whoever pulled that off, in the engineering department, is a genius.

If you consider Intel's state prior to this, they'll have something faster out within a year and keep the competition interesting, as in the old days.

Ryzen is not a technological miracle, it is close to a miracle in the engineering sense, considering AMD's state.

So, it won't bring the performance Intel's first Pentium did when it came out, nor the performance of some groundbreaking processors that came after the original Pentium (Pentium 3, Athlon 64 (x2), Core i7).

·
298 Posts
The only one who has something to lose is Intel.

The Intel's fanboys will never betray him. Even if they organized their own version of the Gulags in genocidal mode in the middle of the Fifth Avenue. The same apply for AMD / NVIDIA, is like a religious thing.

The end of Moore's Law is near, we are seeing it.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I think that with proper TIM on their next CPUs, Intel will remain popular with gamers due to the overclocking capabilities of the 7700k/the cpu refresh that will replace the 7700k.
Considering how many games require pure power over 4c/8t and disregard anything over that, a 7700k will likely remain a better pick for those games than anything AMD offers.

But I think the 7700k is the only one where Intel has the upper hand, AMD takes the rest. If I'm loading up for the future, I'm getting a 1700x and seeing how far it'll OC.

·
I mustache you a queshtion
1,972 Posts
Pretty good so far:

http://digiworthy.com/2017/02/27/ryzen-7-1700x-benchmarks-vs-i7-6800k/

AMD Ryzen Benchmarks: Ryzen 7 1700X Beats Core i7 6800K in 9 out of 13 Games Tested

"The Ryzen 7 1700X benchmarks showcase the $399 CPU outperforming $420 direct competitor, whilst offering two more cores, four more threads, higher clock speeds and a lower TDP. This is pretty impressive isn’t it?"

Standby power of 62w vs 98w (-57%) seems a standout. Gaming is also -40% power.

The hype just got real.

·
Deus ex machina
1,110 Posts
Ouch.

All those previous single threaded Ryzen tests have just stopped making sense.
Dolphin seems to favor fast cache, intel did something with haswell that gave incredible boost to dolphin performance and it is probably related to the cpu cache changes they did, while most other applications got a small boost in performance dolphin got something like a 40% boost or something. Other intel cpus didn't have anywhere near bump in performance in dolphin as haswell. Probably it is not that easy to overcome that performance boost for amd.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
sorry AMD fan in gaming you cannot surpass my 5 years old 3770

·
1,972 Posts
When multicore gaming becomes prevalent AMD will be the better choice, unless intel cuts their prices a lot. Just because things like dolphin only use 2 cores it doesn't mean that other games will continue to do this.

Multicore is the future, and AMD are a lot more competitive for this.

Also -40% tdp is impressive,

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
You can also get intel 8 cores for even less. That xeon was just the fastest reasonably priced out there... and it works in dual sockets too.

·
1,972 Posts
Second hand prices are meaningless. On the right day you can get stuff off ebay or wherever for peanuts. You can even get stuff for free if he's your mate. You should only base on new prices, as second hand prices are so volatile and random.

Reminds me of a lot of threads on reddit "I got a gaming computer for $100" and then when you read it you realize that it was almost gifted.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
The intel I posted to is at around that price for more than a year now. There are literally thousands of this same processor and the one slightly slower (at ~50$) available at that price.

·
retired
8,103 Posts
Not really, gaming performance is bad on the Ryzen currently simply because most, if not all of the games in the market are not optimized for its architecture(yet).

People seem to have forgotten it is a new CPU, and most gaming benchmarks are done with older games(likely optimized for intel when they are dominating). Watch this video for a more elaborated explanation. IMO, it is kicking Intel's ass for sure.Ever wonder why the Ryzen only failed gaming but beats Intel in everything else?

and also:

AMD CEO Says Ryzen Gaming Performance Will Improve With Future Patches And Developer Support
(which could be a brag, but I don't see why developers would ignore them if AMD is really reaching out and provide them with whatever they need.)
http://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-gaming-performance-improve-future-patches-developer-support

1 - 20 of 81 Posts