Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the following scenario and how it worked:

I have a Macbook Pro. I have been using a few different video game emulators such as Snes9x. There is limited availability, though, of emulators for Mac, especially when it comes to PS2, etc. whereas there are many more for Windows.
https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/
My thought is to run a Windows emulator, either Parallels or VMWare Fusion, and then run whichever video game emulator inside the Windows emulation. It seems like it would work, but I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this or if anyone thinks this would work/not work.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, questions, etc.

Thanks,

Firoj.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,148 Posts
I remember Parallels which worked great for me in the past. I also remember a community who had some patches to make games work but can't remember the name now.

Here is a old video I made in the past playing some games:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,533 Posts
The real easy path:
Boot Camp
This by far.

Gaming in a virtual machine generally isn't that great. They're fine for "easy" games and emulators, but you'll have issues with ones that use DX11 or newer. (Actually, I don't think DX12 works in VMs yet) Boot Camp bypasses all of this by running Windows natively on your machine. Yeah, dual booting kinda sucks but you won't run into the various VM graphics layer issues. Just Windows issues in general :)

·
366 Posts
Games and emulators that do not require hardware acceleration can be played in a VM

The last time I saw someone trying to use Parallels was to run SolidWorks, but it was unable rendering anything in the program. SolidWorks rendering fails even on native Windows with some versions of Intel HD drivers... What can be expected from a VM then? Back then VirtualBox solved said problem.

"QEMU/KVM may finally be a way for proper gaming in a linux enviroment."

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,148 Posts
I used Parallels in the video I posted earlier and as you can see it works great. There was some compatibility issues with some games but there were patches for many games to make them work properly.

I haven't used OSX or Parallels in years now so I have no idea what's the current state of things.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,533 Posts
I just looked over the Parallels update log and in a lot of ways, it's more impressive than Virtualbox and VMWare. I guess it's to be expected though because on Windows you can just run the game in the host OS. Obviously on Mac you don't have that option so gaming is a high-priority focus on its VMs.

As a side note parallels has a trial version.

Games and emulators that do not require hardware acceleration can be played in a VM

The last time I saw someone trying to use Parallels was to run SolidWorks, but it was unable rendering anything in the program. SolidWorks rendering fails even on native Windows with some versions of Intel HD drivers... What can be expected from a VM then? Back then VirtualBox solved said problem.

"QEMU/KVM may finally be a way for proper gaming in a linux enviroment."
There's supposed to be an upcoming standard that allows you to split the GPU resources just like you would with a CPU in a virtualized environment. This would allow you to get away with using just one GPU as opposed to requiring at least two. I don't remember where I read this but I read about it but few months ago.

·
366 Posts
There are multiple approaches to run non-native applications on other platforms without resorting to emulation and/or VMs. I personally prefer compatibility layers and wrappers. These can even correct bugs on the native platform and incompatibilities in the new ones.

I can't find the logic of using Linux or macOS as the host if you end up having to hand over the GPU to a Windows guest machine to run a graphical application with a 3rd-party API acceleration. Outside of the scopes of servers and security researchers, it would be much better to run Windows natively.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Boot Camp?

·
Registered
2 Posts
To run Windows in a virtual machine within macOS, use Parallels Desktop , VMware Fusion , or VirtualBox . This method will allow you to run Mac and Windows applications concurrently, though the virtual machine does not support as much Windows functionality as a dual-boot configuration. vidmate app instasave.onl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts