Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I bought this laptop, wich im suppose to receive it on the 20th..

I wanna know what type of emulation will i be able to run on it decently...

The Laptop is a "HP zv6170us" and the stats are:
----------------------------------------
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Class: Athlon 64
Processor Number: 3800+
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Bus Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
Memory Speed: PC2700 (333MHz)
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM
Installed Memory: 1 GB
Maximum Memory: 2 GB
Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Video Chipset Brand: ATI
Video Chipset: RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP
Installed Video Memory: 128 MB
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Display Size: 15.4 in
----------------------------------------

Im pretty sure this can run: SNES,Genesis, GBA roms pretty nice..

But im wondering bout PSX,DC,N64 etc etc

Hope some one helps out... thanks

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
PSX and N64 should work fine I think, DC, I don't know if it will be fine with the current version of Chankast, but if it will make progress it might be possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah i see, yeah im guessing playing with DC emulation wont be to good since its still so early in its stage, so i would be having slow downs and stuff, i guess more deep in the future when they improve the emulator and optimize it and stuff, then i will be able to play better.

But maybe in the future ill be able to buy a more powerfull Laptop, seen how soon Windows Vista will be avaiable and it will support tons of ram and other features.

I can see it already ..people posting there spechs

5.0ghz
8GB Ram
1 Trillionbyte HDD
HD-DVD/RW
1GB ATI RADEON OMEGA AERO XTREME
LOL

Ah the posibilities :p

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Mystical Itachi said:
5.0ghz
8GB Ram
1 Trillionbyte HDD
HD-DVD/RW
1GB ATI RADEON OMEGA AERO XTREME
LOL

Ah the posibilities :p
Now there's a future to look forward to ;)

Actually they already have gotten processors to run at 5.5ghz with liquid nitrogen cooling on Toms Hardware Guide (other places to I'm sure).

·
Registered
405 Posts
hold up guys, I have that vid card setup
(amd 64 3200, 512 ram)
and I tried running megaman legends 2 with petes ogl 2.7 on the "nice" setting
and there were times it would stutter, so I guess it will do it but not with all the bells and whistles

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
XxCrashxX said:
hold up guys, I have that vid card setup
(amd 64 3200, 512 ram)
and I tried running megaman legends 2 with petes ogl 2.7 on the "nice" setting
and there were times it would stutter, so I guess it will do it but not with all the bells and whistles
IMO, it was probably due to XA audio or something, cause I have a slower computer and I have no stuttering issues in MML2, just that annoying issue with XA audio going out of sync with the video.

Anyways, I think that laptop will be sufficient to run emulation just one thing, make sure you're plugged into the wall a lot or else your battery will die fairly quickly with that AMD :p

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
remember playing on a laptop, in addition to snake785's advice, dont play on your lap. reason being is that if you play on your lap, two things happen. one, you usually block the vents for the CPU fan. secondly, your own body heat transfers. with a hot running CPU like that AMD and playing CPU intensive games, it will be Toastville, population: You, very fast ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, i was always careful on that area, i always tryed using a flat solid piece of wood or plastic, so that the laptop was stable and had ventilation....
I also didnt like getting my laps burned lol

My friend, the guy who i sold my old laptop to ,a (dv1000), he uses it on the bed..i told him..thats not good...its gonna over heat...but kids this days dont give a **** or listen...*sigh*...its his now..whatever lol

·
Registered
774 Posts
Snake785 said:
IMO, it was probably due to XA audio or something, cause I have a slower computer and I have no stuttering issues in MML2, just that annoying issue with XA audio going out of sync with the video.
If you ever experience stuttering problems I'd suggest you give PSXeven a try. In every case where I experienced stuttering with ePSXe, using PSXeven fixed it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.