Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a suggestions and idea's (and potentially beta release) thread for an App i suggested to @Ruantec

I've noted on various forums, that users are less then enthusiastic about Windows Photo Viewer on Vista/7, and that others consider it Bloated / Stunted and not to be nearly anywhere near as fast as the XP Picture and Fax Viewer.

So I put it forward to @Ruantec, and asked him if he would be interested in making such an app.

Well, this thread is to say that Yes he is, interested, and he (and myself) are interested in knowing what other people would like in the app :D.

Some idea's so far,

• Cooliris style thumbnail viewer, done right it will obviously be better then cooliris heh.
  • Selecting next/previous picture using the left and right directional buttons.
  • Set as Desktop background (without the pathetic jpg compression, noted to be in photo viewer by Strike)
  • The same, or similar right click menu that exists when you click an image in picture and fax viewer.
  • APNG and Animated Gif support
  • Red eye removal.
  • Resizer tool, with quality slider to adjust save size.
More idea's are welcome :D

Edit.
Picture and Fax viewer has a Zoom filter that prevents images from jagging up as you zoom in, while photoviewer does not.
Which behavior is preffered. Also if possible does anyone know of any low performance costing HQ filters that can improve the display of the zoomed image?
Maybe we can use the same zoom filter as firefox's? it seems to be relatively good quality.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Verry nice news XD.
Now for something useful in this post of mine: Well imho except for adding to what you said:
1 a rotate clockwise/counter clockwise option;
2 maybe tweaking the the set as background option to have the following options: Center, Tile, Stretched, Fit (where the image fits the screen without loosing any aspect ratio), and maybe fill (same as fit image does not loose aspect ratio but it fills the whole screen, i for one can do without but this app its not addressed to me in particular :p).
3. And lets not forget about slideshow which should be like the fax viewer one except also having options like (center, stretched, fit and maybe fill);
Anything more (like some extra editing options for example) would be bloat imo and can be done better in a app made for editing probably, like gimp for example, the thing about fax viewer which we all liked was its simplicity so that's probably the goal for this to.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
;) i didn't think i needed to mention the rotate functions as its a stock setting of picture and fax viewer :D

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
- The DEVIL image library or ImageMagick could be used as a start base.
It also supports many of the such functionalties people expect from an image viewer. Its LesserGPL, so possible to include with closed-source apps.
ImageMagick is more Imageviewer material, also since it supports more formats and features out of the box (its BSD too), and can allow for basic image-editing capabilities.

- A thumbnail collecting database wouldnt be bad, along with maintainance operations, like purging dead entries, reoptimizing, and advance thumbnail generating (like generating a folder's thumbnails in advance).

- Some hardware-accelerated display (but color-accurate operations like zooming).

- 3 thumbs up for cache-ahead and cached/viewed pics kept in memory for faster sequential display. Some image viewers suck specifically for absence/medicrity of this one.

- skipping the integrated functions DEVIL and ImageMagick can already handle out of the box, like HDR support, format conversion, multithread/core parallelization, integrated and manually colorspace support and manually set ones for display in app, RAW (the windows7 one does not support RAWs, so this one's likely to be one of imageviewers most interesting points of differentiation from the win7 app)...

- some quickupload strings for imageshack, flickr, photobucket, email and the likes maybe.

- thumbnail preview generating if rightclicking on pic in Explorer (as desktop integration, desirably opt-in just to be safe).

I was thinking of suggesting the same in the past, funnily enough (along with other small apps, possibly for an aruantec 'collection'. One single apps cant be fit with everything, and separation makes for an interesting portfolio).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xD, i've wanted to for ages, but i never knew the right person to ask :D

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Picture and Fax viewer has a Zoom filter that prevents images from jagging up as you zoom in, while photoviewer does not.
Which behavior is preffered. Also if possible does anyone know of any low performance costing HQ filters that can improve the display of the zoomed image?
Just bicubic would do well in pretty much all cases, and lanczos3 or lanczos4 sharpening (non-instant cache-ahead turns more important here, as these filters along with sequential picture browsing when set for autofitting the a display window can bring a cpu spike for cached-ahead big pics/RAWs.
For sprites, pixel art and GIFs though, I presume leaving the possibility for no smoothing would look better, as long as the image isnt fully rerendered at another resolution everytime you zoom it up/down (classic facepalm material from the lousy Irfan).

Maybe we can use the same zoom filter as firefox's? it seems to be relatively good quality.
Firefox' sucks big time if you ask me. Quick bilinear doesnt get any worse. Many smoothing/sharpening filters are available with DEVIL and Imagemagick already.
I'd be very interested to see an implementation for HQ4x for multilayer images (the most appropriate material to apply that one to IMO, edges looks kinda ugly due to unoptimal edge separation in singlelayer pics)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rikki, filter changed at around 3.0.4...

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
The ability to open TGA files, which Windows Photo Viewer cant.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Ok i took some times today as i promise Squall and started to code the app so here´s a small report of what i´ve done sofar:

-Classes implemented.
-Gif, jpg, bmp, png, tiff etc. supported.
-Shell interaction support(select @ruanViewer as your default app pic viewer).
-Gif animation support(still some small things to fix but it works at least).
-Drop-Shadow effect to give a better look to the pic frame.
-Gradient background for a stylish look.

here are some pics of the app in action:

Thats all for now... enjoy! :thumb:

Regards
@ruantec

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
what language do you code in again? I forgot :p

one big request I have is the use of the mouse wheel to view the prev/next image in the directory
The language i use to code the app is C# and the tool of course VS2008 :thumb: and thanks for the mouse wheel idea... it should be easy to do.

----------------------------------------------------

Here are some information i forgot to mention on my previous post:

-Hardware acceleration(yes am using hardware acceleration to render the pics :p as the classes used are from @ES)
-True Aero support(done after i posted the pics as squall requested)

Here are some pics again:

Regards
@ruantec

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Nice work there @ruantec!

IMHO, basically as many features as can be imported from FastStone Image Viewer would be a good thing since that app just rocks! I know its UI is rather complicated but what I was thinking you could so is 2 display modes, a basic one and an advanced mode. So it doesn't get complicated unless it needs to.

P.S. The batch format conversion tool in FS is one of my favs.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Thanks guys!!

i took some time today again to re-check what i´ve done and noticed a small memory leak in the png handling code. so i fixed the problem and went to the next step which is APNG support! YAY!!!

Here is a small video demostration:

NOTE:
The hanging at the beginning isn´t from @ruanViewer.. it was caused by an application i had running in the background.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Seriously, you managed to make that much in just a day? oO

It pwns Windows Pic and Fax Viewer at running GIFs/APNGs already (very smooth, unlike with WPFV you get lots of stuttering).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.