Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear NGEmu,

I'm currently developing an open-source, and free software for creation of 2D RPG games. I'm very aware many solutions exist for this, however not a lot of them are not exactly user-friendly or lack a lot of features or simply have a high pricetag for some of us. I want to change this, and develop software free for everyone to use, so that no imagination will go to waste.

The most promising software for creation of similar games on the market right now appears to be RPG Maker series published by Enterbrain. The time I spent playing with it, it was pretty good. I managed to get a sample game up and running in a matter of an hour or two, complete with 2-3 maps, NPCs, and monsters. However, I came to a sad realization eventually.

Building a game alone would take quite the effort, and purchasing a 100$ RPG Maker VX license for myself was hardly economical. Now, I could always speed this up and have several people help me out with the game development, such as developing NPCs, items, maps and monsters. They would need to purchase licenses as well, however. This wasn't good.

Back to the drawing board, I suppose. I'm not interested in developing my own game, I'm interested in aiding others develop THEIR game, provide a working base for those who want to develop RPG games.

So I ask you, NGEmu. What would you like to see in an RPG maker like software? I've come up with a few interface ideas and the one I like the best is a MDI like document interface, but I'm open to suggestions. Features, ideas, ease of use. All suggestions are welcome, and please do!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
sounds like a good project, i know this is early in the project but will you be making a 3d engine (i do not know what im talking about so id assume this is what i mean) or are you going to be keeping it strictly 2d for simplicity of use?

also a few suggestions, you could include templates for premade maps and characters so people wont have to make their own.

and the gui does look nice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no intentions to port this to 3D, as for templates this would create very cookie-cutter like games and probably isn't the best idea. After all, it should be your work. Right? Procedurally generated maps on the other hand, aren't such a bad idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.