Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just got my wireless router and DSL modem to work together. Its a wireless router by the way. Umm..so here's the story. Everything was working fine before I plugged this DSL modem into my dads computer. We could do file sharing over the network, etc. So we get the DSL modem, plug it into the wireless router, and we get it to work. So I go on my computer (which has a wireless card) and connect to the router. The router won't assign my computer an IP adress. The funny thing is, my dad's work laptop got an IP and could get internet. Another strange thing is, my IP is 0.0.0.0 for like 5 minutes, then it gets this other weird "private" ip adress. I still cant get internet. Here is the result of an ipconfig /all and alsp some other things. I blotted things out in green I don't want you to see.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7652/duh0ug.jpg
http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/1283/mmk2wd.jpg

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I see that the router's encryption is enabled. Try turning it off temporarily to see if the machine connects. If it does check that your password/encryption types are set correctly.

BTW you might want to edit that first image. It's not a wise idea to advertise the mac-addy (aka physical address) especially for a wifi card. DHCP uses that info to id your computer, so theoretically speaking someone could use it to clone your computer.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Techie said:
assign ip's manually, check the router though, for its subnet mask and ip range settings
If you mean by manually going into the TCP/IP properties of my Wi-Fi card and set the IP, Subnet Mask, and Gateway manually? Tried that already, still no luck.

Betamax, thanks for the info. Is there a way for me to change my mac adress so that doesnt happen?

·
Registered
212 Posts
when u tried setting ip's manually could u at least ping the other comps on the network?

if not, could u ping the ip address of the router.. (should be able to if u dont subnet is wrong and u have to set that properly)

when get working, make sure dmz mode is enabled, if ne problems, however regarding ip addy not assigned

heres my ipconfig
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxxx
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local NIC:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/10
0/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.3
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 August 2004 21:40:45
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 01 September 2006 21:25:45

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
1. Your client isn't able to receive a response from the DHCP server running on the router.
2. The 169.x.x.x address is an auto-configuration that is assigned and calculated from the MAC address (making it unique) when an adapter set to autoconfigure cannot contact the DHCP server.
3. You usually cannot change the MAC address on a network adapter as it's hard-set and derived from the ID of the manufacturer, the model number, the serial number, etc.., hence the "physical address" term.
4. It looks like the main issue is that you're not even able to connect to the router due to encryption. Worry about that first, before you focus on getting an IP address. Like Beta said, see if you can connect without encryption and, if you can, that's your problem.

OT: Techie, why in god's name would you use a 10.0.0.0/8 addressing scheme on your LAN? Do you seriously see yourself needing 16,777,216 private IP addresses? That's also one hell of a broadcast domain.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Techie, I can ping my router if I manually configure my IP adress and that other stuff.

Flare, I disabled encryption and still no luck.

If you look in this pic- http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/1283/mmk2wd.jpg

Notice it says "Accsess Point". Should it say that? I don't remember that being there when I had it working last time.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Yeah. If you're not using an access point, you're using an ad-hoc setup. You already mentioned you were using a wireless router, so we know that it's an access point. Just let me ask. What kind of encryption are you using? WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, etc...? I had an issue once where I was using WPA and the router added some extra crap into the PSK (not sure why) and so the one I was using on the clients was wrong. It could find and connect to the base station, but it would continuously fail when it tried to obtain an IP address. This sounds somewhat similar, but you already mentioned that it doesn't improve when you try disabling encryption.

I guess the only things left to check would be things like making sure the router actually has a DHCP server running. The fact that you can configure a static IP and ping it suggests that DHCP might be borked.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my dad's work laptop gets an IP from it when he's using his wireless card with it. I truly don't understand why my comp wont. I'm using WEP encryption. The DNS, and DHCP are all the same adress as the gateway in ipconfig. Is this good or bad? Could it be leading to the problem?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The router will most likely be your gateway, DHCP server, and DNS server (relay, really). Unless you have some other server on your network that is dedicated to those tasks, like me, your router would have to perform that job. So, there's nothing unusual about that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
OT: Techie, why in god's name would you use a 10.0.0.0/8 addressing scheme on your LAN? Do you seriously see yourself needing 16,777,216 private IP addresses? That's also one hell of a broadcast domain.

easier at time :D hence used

belkin older router used:

ip address: 192.168.2.3 (NIC)
subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1 (router ip)
dns server: 192.168.2.1 (router ip)

sorry i forgot to mention the above in previous post

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine has the option for both to but it's working properly because my dad's company laptop got an IP from it wirelessly.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Okay, let's try this. What spec are both the router and wireless adapter that you're trying to use? If the router is using 802.11g and your adapter is 802.11b, make sure the router is confgiured to support both the g and b spec.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wireless Router- Belkin F5D7230-4
Wireless Card- Belkin F5D7000

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Hmmm both of those are b/g compatible, so it's most likely not that.

Ok. Lets try a longshot. Check that that linux fileserver you meantion in your sig hasn't been accidently configured to act as a dhcp server (two dhcp's can really bugger things up). To check type 'ps aux | grep dhcpd' at the bash command line. If that service is running stop it via its init script and then see things improve.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Betamax said:
Hmmm both of those are b/g compatible, so it's most likely not that.

Ok. Lets try a longshot. Check that that linux fileserver you meantion in your sig hasn't been accidently configured to act as a dhcp server (two dhcp's can really bugger things up). To check type 'ps aux | grep dhcpd' at the bash command line. If that service is running stop it via its init script and then see things improve.
My family and I just moved into an apartment while we are waiting for our new house to be built and the Linux comp is in storage.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Master Chief said:
My family and I just moved into an apartment while we are waiting for our new house to be built and the Linux comp is in storage.
Maybe I just need to format? (And that sucks because my dad just but a new activation code to. I hope it has more than 1 activation).

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you can, check the router's access logs. Specifically, compare the wireless MAC address of your card to the one that the router reports. I've been working with a belkin setup where one of the cards was so far away, that the packets it sends to the router would become scrambled. Thus, the MAC address of the computer wouldn't properly send (12345 becomes 15423), and the router keeps trying to reassign new IP addresses to the "new" wireless access. Your signal strength looks good, so this may not be the problem.

I don't have a wireless NIC installed right now, but is there anything in this menu for the wireless card that could be causing the problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.