Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought Riva TnT2 m64 PCI 32MB today and I found that it is slow on my pc! I played Epsxe and played SFA3. Man, it is slow i tell ya. I think I should stick w/ my ol' Voodoo2 MB if like this. Can anyone help me how to improve my performance?

PC Spec:
Pentium Celeron 300Mhz
128MB Ram
Riva TnT2 m64 PCI 32MB
52X Cd rom

Using Pete 1.52 D3d Driver
Using even the slowest n terrible configs!

Help me to achieve high FPS!!!!!

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
AGP i think is more faster than pci to improve your 3d acc. speed you must optimize your card try tweaking your video card by using nvmax or rivatuner and also why dont you upgrade your video card driver for tnt2 chipset try 10.80 or 7.58 detonator driver but ofcourse you can choose any driver or optimizer its only a suggestion ok!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Make sure you have the latest drivers and ry using Pete's OpenGL plugin.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I used to have a simmilar spec system to Pestilence3.
(P2-266 +TNT/voodoo2 combo)
The voodoo2 + Lewpy's Glide plugin is noticably faster than a TNT2 + Pete's D3D plugin on a 300MHz class computer.

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
and be sure to install a via 4 in 1 driver if your using a via based mobo

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a 2D game. Use Pete's Software plug-in to play it. The Riva TNT2 is optimized for 3D graphics (has a hard time with 2D graphics in 3D mode) so use it strictly for 3D games.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

We have the same card..PCI also (Time for an upgrade to motherboard)...Had to download updated drivers from NVIDIA's webpage to get good performance...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TnT2+Voodoo2 Combo??

What if I add my old Voodoo2 8MB so that it's gonna be a combo w/ my new TnT2??? I mean, it's ok right? It wont fry my riva or voodoo2 or whatsoever?:confused:

Already d/loaded the latest drivers for TnT2. Now it's 21.83 XP at nvidia.com homepage. But still slow! What if I upgrade my Ram? From 128 to 192 mb RAM? Will that have a significant changes in FPS?

If I DO the Voodoo2/TnT2 combo, what is the consequences of other pc games? I mean like if play CounterStrike, when choosing whether Opengl or D3d, it wont be confused with the double 3d Card in my pc??

Need some help here.. I dont want to upgrade my m/board.... Not at least for the next 2 years. 2003 I may get a new one.:( Not enuff money to upgrade them...

Thanks for Xplaning

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I use a GeForce 2 Pro and Voodoo 2 combo and everything works fine (previous videocard was a Riva TNT2). OpenGL programs will use the default OpenGL drivers (TNT2), unless the Voodoo 2 OpenGL drivers are specified. Most Direct3D applications allow you to choose between Direct3D renderers. If not, then it uses the default (primary display; TNT2). There shouldn't be any confusions. BTW, I ran Street Fighter Alpha 3 on my computer in software mode when I had my TNT2 and the speed was very playable. What's your CPU speed?

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Adding a Voodoo2 will not cause any problems, as Demigod79 already explained. About your slowdowns, I think it's your cpu's fault. A Celeron 300 is too slow to play psx games at full speed. Adding more ram(128->192) will not increase your fps. Consider upgrading your cpu instead.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i have to agree that its the cpu. i have a 16 meg diamond viper 550. its old and slow but my computer can run epsxe at the full 200fps. the speed in petes soft driver is almost all in cpu power.

i have a p3 1000E @ 1240mhz and 1 gig of ram at cas 2-2-2. It makes up for the crappy video card.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 final solution aside than cpu upgrading???

Ok, here's my last question. What if I increase the PCI Texture Memory in TnT2 Properties screen?? If I increase high enuff so I can play PSX games again...w/ full power of TnT2 32mb RAm?

If all FAILS, this means back to my ol' n rusty Voodoo2 8mb again
Damn! But if using V2 have better FPS when playing SFA3 and such. About CPU upgrading, I don't think that's possible...at this time. No money now. If upgrade cpu--->buy new m/board which is Xpensive---> casing.. ~_~ Argh!!!!

hmmm. maybe I should consider using the riva tweaker or ivaoverclocker???? Frying my cpu that's gonna be... hhehehe

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

Depending on the game you are trying to play..another alternative would be to use AdriPSX..a decent PSX emulator that works well for slower CPU's...

·
Registered
462 Posts
TNT2 M64 = slow, the 64 means a 64 bit memory bus compared to the 128 bit bus found on the regular TNT2's. I think using the Voodoo 2 for 3D is probably a bit faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts