Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rise of Nations has several unique features that make this RTS game fun to play.

The Good:

-National borders: Each city has its own area border which prevents enemies from building on an enemies territory. Of course you can’t build on an opposition force area as well. You can expand your border by the use of the tech tree or by creating more cities.

-Capturing a city: You don’t have to destroy an opposition city to win the game. Instead you can capture the city and expand your own National borders

-Unlimited resource: One element that annoyed me with other RTS games was that the resource would run out too quickly. With this game once you start chopping trees or mining metals you don’t run out. This allows you to focus on the battle.

-Creation of group of soldiers: In other RTS games like Warcraft III, you only get one warrior trained. In Rise of Nations you can a group of soldiers created which allows a larger army to be created faster.

-In-depth economics: The market/economic structure is more in-depth compared to other RTS. You can send carnivals to trade with other cities.

-Wonders: The wonder in Rise of Nations isn’t just a pretty structure. Building a wonder gives you bonuses for your resources and army. For example the Terra Cotta Army gives you free foot soldiers every thirty seconds. Plus a wonder is quite fast to build in this game compared to Ages of the Empires.

-Defense structures: The defense towers and anti-aircraft guns are strong enough to hold off a light attack force.

-Unique nation units: Each nation has its own unique looking unit at the beginning of the game. Too bad they start to look the same when you hit the modern age.

The bad:

-Idle workers: In the game you can auto set your workers to do something. (E.g. gather, build) In most cases in gather mode, I find my workers sitting there doing nothing.

-Typical tech tree race: Despite the more in-depth tech tree, when it comes down to it the player who can research all the aspects of the tech tree first usually wins the game.

-200 population cap: It seems high but this limitation can be easily reached in the later on in the game.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
RTS. :spy: :spy:

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
RZetlin said:
-Idle workers: In the game you can auto set your workers to do something. (E.g. gather, build) In most cases in gather mode, I find my workers sitting there doing nothing.

-Typical tech tree race: Despite the more in-depth tech tree, when it comes down to it the player who can research all the aspects of the tech tree first usually wins the game.

-200 population cap: It seems high but this limitation can be easily reached in the later on in the game.
Idle workers will go pretty far to find something to do, but they won't cross the map. Also, if you have pinned income on a resource (it's flashing yellow) then idle workers will not work that resource automatically.

Tech is really only critical when there's more than 2 ages difference. It's quite possible for an earlier age army to beat a later age one with numbers and strategy.

If you have 200 units, you should be throwing armies at enemies. The army isn't just there to look nice. 8)

RoN has so many little touches that make the game feel right, I love it. My friend and I play every weekend.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S.SubZero said:
Idle workers will go pretty far to find something to do, but they won't cross the map. Also, if you have pinned income on a resource (it's flashing yellow) then idle workers will not work that resource automatically.
What do you mean?

How do I get my workers gathering again? Who do I have to setup for this to happen?

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
There just needs to be a resource nearby that can use an extra set of hands. Note that each gathering building can only support a certain number of people, if you click the structure it will tell you how many it can hold and how many it currently has.

Instead of an AoE or Starcraft style of "each person collects X resources and delivers it in one bunch" it's more Total Annihilation where there's a steady rate of income which just increases as more workers are assigned to that resource. Income rate is capped. If you have enough workers on a resource, the number in the top left will flash yellow, indicating you have reached the rate cap. To increase the cap you need to research Commerce at the Library. Each level of Commerce tech raises the cap I believe 50 points. There are also some rare resources which can increase caps of specific categories, and some Wonders will also raise some caps.

Now then, idle workers will not suddenly try to collect any resource that is currently at it's income cap. They will stand around until they are assigned to something else, or the cap increases enough that they can be useful.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
about the 200 pop limit, you can edit the game files to change it to as high as you want. I currently have it set at 2000, but if u want to play multiplayer, u have to change it back or tell the other player to change it

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
RZetlin said:
One thing I find very annoying about this game is the use of the nuke.

There's no good defense against a nuclear strike. One hit can reduce your buildings and units into ashes.
Thats normally what nukes do :p Just be faster and get missle sheild, or don't put all your important stuff in one area and always make a 2nd library, because they always take it out when they attack your capital.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts