Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive read on how to rip GD-ROM Discs on sites and that, but i only want to know something....

By ripping a DC game, will u get all the info that is on the GD-ROM disc itself? or will u get something else?

Another thing, i kow u can rip by BBA and 56K Modem...and Serial Cable, but...is the Serial Cable abit faster than by doing using the 56K Modem?

I would really appreaciate it if someone can tell me.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
You would just get everything on the GD-ROM, whether its a game or something else; the whole disc.

I'm not sure since I haven't done the process myself, but I recall someone saying 56k is very slow for this.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Vanit said:
You would just get everything on the GD-ROM, whether its a game or something else; the whole disc.

I'm not sure since I haven't done the process myself, but I recall someone saying 56k is very slow for this.
Why won't you try to upload 1 GB through a 56k modem just to find out :p

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
unless you leave your pc on overnight the 56k and serial methods will not be for you.

The serial cable having done it myself takes roughly 24 hours in total to rip, i imagine 56k will take roughly 48 hours due to serial cable running at 11.5k/sec and 56k running at roughly 5.6k/sec.

if you intend on doing it and want to do it at speed, the broadband adaptor is the way to go.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but finding a Broadband Adapter is very hard. and i am afraid to melt my DC. isnt there another way using the same method but faster?

And, since a GD-ROM is 1.4gb or something like that, wat do u do to make it fit on a standard density disc?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
WindHydra said:
Only takes a bit over 2 days :evil: But will it be the same speed to transfer from dc?
Well there's also the 33k modems :evil:

And from what I've heard at the forums dedicated to the homebrew PSO server the DC 56k modem uploads at a constant 33kbit max when they are using the PC<->DC connection.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
actually, i dont even recommend using the PM feature for that. no one wants to be bothered with "omg how is teh PCSX2 doing?!?!", i mean, look at the rules of PCSX2 section:

We DO NOT KNOW when the next version will be released. Do not waste our time by asking.
i think saying "how is the project going?" falls under that category of no-nos ;)

anyway, KEEP IT ON TOPIC damn man even though it's your topic you still gotta follow the rules (like chrono already pointed out)

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I thought the GD rom was 1gb? And when people do dreamcast rips they have to cut a lot of stuff out for it to fit on a CD. They compress videos and even audio files. It can really get ugly for some games. Another thing about getting the broadband adapter the cheapest I've ever seen one was like 140 bucks.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah the BBA is a pretty rare device, if you ever get one for less than 100 bucks consider yourself lucky ;)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
yeah, that's the reason i dont emulate dreamcast, i'd love to, but i sure as hell aint using my 56k modem to transfer files and a BBA isnt worth it :rolleyes:

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry about that folks. didnt mean to upset u lot. Anyways, by people cutting bits out to make it fit on a ordinary CD, isnt possible to burn it on a Mini-DVD, as the capacity is 1.4GB i think, without cutting anything out at all?. Is that possible?

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Including by making the disc selfbootable. and...wen burning it, isnt it possible to make the PC think ur burning it on a ordinary CD? and to do overburn on it, wen actually it isnt doing no overburn on the disc. Possible?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
There's only one way to find out. If it will be possible it'll be very nice. But I doubt it's the same technology. The site you linked said the HD discs are readable by a normal DVD drive. GD-Roms however, are not. So they're not exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.