Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, anything would be nice.

For instance, If this is the wrong forum, you could redirect me to the right one, or suggest a better place to post it.

·
I mustache you a queshtion
1,972 Posts
When you tested the controller in joy.cpl did you experience the same behaviour i.e. moving the right analog stick caused digital buttons 1,2,3,4 to light up? If so, as squall says, it is a driver issue. Or a malfunctioning gamepad. Or a system problem. Try plugging it in to another USB port.

Where did you get your driver? Was a disk included with the controller, or did you download it? If so from where? Was the address included in the instructions? Also go to control panel > system > device manager > human interface device (or whatever) and find any details.

Also, are there any brand names or details on the pad itself? Not a good idea to buy "generic" controllers, try to buy ones with some sort of brand name.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you tested the controller in joy.cpl did you experience the same behaviour i.e. moving the right analog stick caused digital buttons 1,2,3,4 to light up? If so, as squall says, it is a driver issue. Or a malfunctioning gamepad. Or a system problem. Try plugging it in to another USB port.

Where did you get your driver? Was a disk included with the controller, or did you download it? If so from where? Was the address included in the instructions? Also go to control panel > system > device manager > human interface device (or whatever) and find any details.

Also, are there any brand names or details on the pad itself? Not a good idea to buy "generic" controllers, try to buy ones with some sort of brand name.
Yes, the controller's right analog stick still shows up as button 1,2,3 and 4 in joy.cpl.
I tried the controller on 3 different USB ports, and it didn't seem to have any effect on my problem.

I got my drivers from a disk that came with the gamepad: http://pbrd.co/11xVJrn
I installed both of them, but I had to rename the folders, since they were in chinese, and my computer couldn't find the locations in that instance.

At any rate, here's the content of both:
http://pbrd.co/11xVTir
http://pbrd.co/11xVX1I

Here's a list over the HID drivers: http://pbrd.co/11xX9Cl
I would assume "HID Compliant Game Controller" is the driver for the controller, but apparently it's not. Never mind, it's the controller itself (I tried plugging it out, then in again, and the option disapeared).
At any rate, it says that no drivers was loaded for the gamepad here:
http://pbrd.co/11xXKUF

However, on the "USB Input Device" (all 5 of them) there was 3 files (these were the same).
I took a picture of the only one with a port and hub:
http://pbrd.co/11y1OUM

No, there is no information on the gamepad.
It look exactly like the one you can see on Ebay.
On the front there is a logo saying: "USB - Universal Serial Bus" Like they needed a reminder or something of what the abbreviation stands for.
At the back(underneath) the controller it says: "GAMEPAD tested to comply CE with FCC Standards FOR HOME OR OFFICE USE ONLY"
Made in China.

It might be the drivers, since as I said on the x360ce project site, I ****ed some around with it by just trying to find anything I could, so I might have screwed up, since I seem to recall being able to turn the camera around.

·
1,972 Posts
“Yes, the controller's right analog stick still shows up as button 1,2,3 and 4 in joy.cpl.”

OK either the gamepad is faulty, or the driver is faulty. No problem with x360ce. I think the gamepad being faulty is more likely.

You can tell by the names the driver files are for 64-bit Windows. This probably means they are for Windows Vista / 7, which would be correct. I wonder if double gamepad drivers are for when you plug two into the same system. I think the self-installed drivers might be under the “sound, video and game controllers” section of Device Manager.

This is what I recommend you to do:

1. Try to return it for a refund. Might be difficult if it is from China though!

2. Failing that, the basic MS HID complaint device driver might be sufficient, although you might miss features like rumble (if it supports rumble). But if the gamepad is faulty it wont help.

To uninstall, unplug the controller and go to control panel > programs and features > sort by install date. Hopefully they will be there near the top. Uninstall. Then plug the controller back in. The MS HID drivers should load. Then check in joy.cpl and see if it is any better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might sound stupid, but where am I supposed to get that driver? Every site I have tried tries to install a 3rd party software on my computer, and the one on Cnet just redirects me to this site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5

Also, what do you want me to do with all the other HID devices before I try what you suggested?
Do you want me to uninstall everything under HID, or?

Also, if this doesn't work, I think I'll just buy a retail controller. It's like 50% more expensive than ordering online, but you never know what you get, so...

·
1,972 Posts
What I meant was just try to uninstall the driver that came on the disk. Suprisingly, this might not have been needed, as Windows contains basic drivers for gamepads.

All the other drivers listed are built into Windows. You can tell that because they are authored by microsoft. So any Microsoft drivers you should leave alone. The driver I wanted you to get rid of would have been authored by a third party, i.e. not Microsoft.

But I have to admit it would be a bit of a long shot. Maybe buying another controller might be for the best. I was thinking about your problem, and maybe your controller it just set up that way, i.e. instead of having a right analog stick, it just has a digital stick mapped to controller buttons. This would really suck, and a new controller would be needed.

On my controller, in analog mode, my left analog stick is mapped to x and y axes, and my right analog stick is mapped to z axis and z rotation. You can tell this by going into joy.cpl. With your controller, your right analog stick is mapped to digital buttons 1,2,3,4. But is it also mapped to z axis and z rotation? A screenshot of joy.cpl > properties > test would be interesting.

EDIT: please dont install any drivers from the internet. they may be malware!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I uninstalled the driver as you said, but it didn't seem to have any effect.
However, I didn't touch any of the HID drivers in device manager, since 1 of them was from Microsoft, and the others were from "Standard System Devices".

Also, I'm still rather confused on the driver you suggested I should install (I didn't do anything to sate this suggestion). At any rate, It might be as you were assuming earlier, that it is already prebuilt, but how am I even certain of this?

Oh, and did you read everything I linked? Because, I tested it on my laptop, and the same problem occurred there.

If you completely read the link I sent to the x360ce website, I tried to test the same thing (but on x360ce), so here:

Moving to the left with right analogue stick: http://pbrd.co/12zVfPJ
Moving to the right: http://pbrd.co/12zVmdR
Moving up: http://pbrd.co/12zVFp9
Moving down: http://pbrd.co/12zVLwQ

In joy.cpl as requested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKbpaU45Wg0&feature=youtu.be

First I just moved the left analog stick.
Then the D pad.
Ok, next up was The right analog stick.

Up, Left, Down, Right.

Now ABXY (2,3,1,4).

Everything else is fine and work as intended.

·
1,972 Posts
However, I didn't touch any of the HID drivers in device manager, since 1 of them was from Microsoft, and the others were from "Standard System Devices".

Oh well, it was a bit of a long shot.

Also, I'm still rather confused on the driver you suggested I should install (I didn't do anything to sate this suggestion). At any rate, It might be as you were assuming earlier, that it is already prebuilt, but how am I even certain of this?

I said that “Failing that, the basic MS HID complaint device driver might be sufficient”. But this driver is automatically installed when you plug it in, no need for user intervention.

Well I'll tell you the situation with my controller. It is basically plug and play: you plug it in and Windows automatically installs the necessary microsoft drivers for you. I think that many PC controllers are like this.

Other controllers need manually-installed drivers (e.g. from a disk or the Internet), but quite often they work without this. The reason they need manually installed drivers is because without them they don't get certain features, like rumble.

It is difficult to work out if a controller is using these drivers; you have to go through Device Manager to see if you can see any non-Microsoft drivers are being used.

Oh, and did you read everything I linked? Because, I tested it on my laptop, and the same problem occurred there.

I forgot about that. So at least your system is not faulty.

In joy.cpl as requested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKbpa...ature=youtu.be

Well that was interesting. I tell you what you should have seen:

Moving left analog stick: movement in XY axes box, which was correct.

Moving d-pad: should have registered in the POV hat, which I didnt see.

Moving right stick: should have moved Z axis and Rz axis bars, which I didnt see.

A B X Y: seemed Ok, registered buttons 1,2,3,4.

OK I think its time to get a new controller! These are my recommendations:

1. Dont buy from ebay, no product feedback from users. Try something like Amazon, and have a look through the reviews.

2. The x360 controller is probably the easiest. DInput support isn't that great, but you can overcome this by using the XBCD driver with x360ce.

3. Go for branded controllers. Most other PC controllers will need x360ce, except the Logitech F310 and F710. Try to get one without analog triggers, as if they are mapped to the same axis, pressing both will cancel each other.

4. Many console controllers can work, but might need drivers, adapters and x360ce.

One last question: does your controller have a analog/digital switch? On mine it is on the front, and linked to a light. But it could be a small switch either on the front, side or underneath. Switching this might help, if it exists.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohohohoho, dude.

****ing thanks for saying that last line.

I just noticed the "Mode" button.
I pressed it, and...
VOILA!
It moves as normal now.

Thanks a lot man, you saved me at least 30$ (Controllers are expensive here).

·
1,972 Posts
Ohohohoho, dude.

****ing thanks for saying that last line.

I just noticed the "Mode" button.
I pressed it, and...
VOILA!
It moves as normal now.

Thanks a lot man, you saved me at least 30$ (Controllers are expensive here).
LOL I cant believe it was simple as that! Wish I thought of that earlier, but it is difficult giving advice online.

I guess you can reinstall that driver from the disk. I only asked you to uninstall it for testing purposes. It might give you rumble or something.

All the best!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I've been playing Dark Souls for an hour or so now, and it works just as intended.

Tell me... what is even "rumble"?

·
1,972 Posts
Well, I've been playing Dark Souls for an hour or so now, and it works just as intended.

Tell me... what is even "rumble"?
Basically it makes the controller shake slightly. I think that it is means the same as force feedback really, but there might be a subtle difference. See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97386 for a discussion on this.

Force feedback is controlled in x360ce app by going to controller 1 > force feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pfft, i don't want vibration on my controller.

I turned that **** off when i used to play on console because it was just plain annoying.

At any rate, thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Oh well, it was a bit of a long shot.

I said that “Failing that, the basic MS HID complaint device driver might be sufficient”. But this driver is automatically installed when you plug it in, no need for user intervention.

Well I'll tell you the situation with my controller. It is basically plug and play: you plug it in and Windows automatically installs the necessary microsoft drivers for you. I think that many PC controllers are like this.

Other controllers need manually-installed drivers (e.g. from a disk or the Internet), but quite often they work without this. The reason they need manually installed drivers is because without them they don't get certain features, like rumble.

It is difficult to work out if a controller is using these drivers; you have to go through Device Manager to see if you can see any non-Microsoft drivers are being used.

I forgot about that. So at least your system is not faulty.

In joy.cpl as requested:

Well that was interesting. I tell you what you should have seen:

Moving left analog stick: movement in XY axes box, which was correct.

Moving d-pad: should have registered in the POV hat, which I didnt see.

Moving right stick: should have moved Z axis and Rz axis bars, which I didnt see.

A B X Y: seemed Ok, registered buttons 1,2,3,4.

OK I think its time to get a new controller! These are my recommendations:

1. Dont buy from ebay, no product feedback from users. Try something like Amazon, and have a look through the reviews.

2. The x360 controller is probably the easiest. DInput support isn't that great, but you can overcome this by using the XBCD driver with x360ce.

3. Go for branded controllers. Most other PC controllers will need x360ce, except the Logitech F310 and F710. Try to get one without analog triggers, as if they are mapped to the same axis, pressing both will cancel each other.

4. Many console controllers can work, but might need drivers, adapters and x360ce.

One last question: does your controller have a analog/digital switch? On mine it is on the front, and linked to a light. But it could be a small switch either on the front, side or underneath. Switching this might help, if it exists.
Literally just made this account to say thank you, anonymous person on internet. You saved me from buying a new controller as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
duuuudeee me too, hours of downloading drivers, trying the xbox emulator, watching youtube videos, reading forums and the solution was to simply click the "xbox" button (which isnt actually an xbox button cause its a knockoff xbox controller, apparently its the "mysterious-unlabeled-solve-all-you-problems-button") lol thanks resolutespider5

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok guys you saved my life, i was tilted af about this and this was that simple ... Thanks again, and it works !! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL I cant believe it was simple as that! Wish I thought of that earlier, but it is difficult giving advice online.

I guess you can reinstall that driver from the disk. I only asked you to uninstall it for testing purposes. It might give you rumble or something.

All the best!
You are my hero

1 - 20 of 23 Posts