Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

I've read one game review at a different page, and apart from that one labeling it as a mediocre game, I let the reviews at amazon speak for themselves.

Atari is known for being a financially unstable company delivering crappy games (with a few exceptions every so often). Now they put in a DRM worse than Spore. 3 Installs....

Atari, jumping on the bandwagon while others have already desperately abandoned it :p

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Atari is also known for being completely retarded with DRM. I talked about it before on the forum, but there was a Adventure Pack made for Neverwinter Night 2 (by Ossian Studios, a well like group by the fans). It was finished in "late 2007", but kept being delayed due to Atari wanting to try out some kind of new DRM.
It was finally released about 24 (27) hours ago. They seriously screwed this up to no end, I just can't understand how they could create such a debacle, they must have alienated all of their potential customers, it's gonna be a miracle if it actually sells.

As for Dark Athena : I do wonder what Vin Diesel himself thinks about this, I can't imagine he's too happy to be associated with it.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They actually released it? I remember it was finished before the first expansion pack was even to be released. I was still lurking their forums back then, posting from time to time because I enjoyed the regular game so much. I haven't touched it for a year now though I'm still interested in their work. How did they release it? Did their little experiment fail after all?

I'm still hoping for Atari to go bankrupt, to be honest. I'm sorry for the people working there, but in the end it's for the better if the good licenses, such as Forgotten Realms/DnD, are being sold to capable companies.

I made the saving throw btw, I still had a little counterspell on a scroll somewhere... "Romanes eunt domus" ;)

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
13,131 Posts
As for Dark Athena : I do wonder what Vin Diesel himself thinks about this, I can't imagine he's too happy to be associated with it.
He loves it, he bought his own games company to make these titles.
It's all his idea actually

Wiki said:
Tigon Studios is a video game production company focused primarily on games featuring or starring actor Vin Diesel, who also founded the company.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
They actually released it? I remember it was finished before the first expansion pack was even to be released. I was still lurking their forums back then, posting from time to time because I enjoyed the regular game so much. I haven't touched it for a year now though I'm still interested in their work. How did they release it? Did their little experiment fail after all?
AFAIK it was released Online, no idea about how the experiment went tho.

The game itself I'm sure, but the whole DRM thing I kinda doubt it. The guy seems to have a genuine love for games, I can't really imagine him embracing the idea of his game being ruined by something like this.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usually the DRM is forced by the publisher, I doubt his studio has anything to do with it. The only thing they could do is break the publishing contract.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
i dont know but i find that hard to believe.

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Usually the DRM is forced by the publisher, I doubt his studio has anything to do with it.
I'm not so sure it's forced, per se, but it's definitely handled by them. Devs are equally likely to not what their games pirated.
I'm also assuming that devs don't get flat revenue from publishers and that it's based on sales.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
I want to take him on >.< i'll slaughter him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.