Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a New Years present from Rice to everyone....he gives a new version of Rice Video plugin for Nintendo 64 emulators :)
  • What's new:
  • Software vertex clipper problem fixes.
  • OpenGL fragment program extension (Pixel shader in OpenGL)
  • An optional Z coordinate hack for the near plane clipping problems in some games without using near plane vertex clipping

OpenGL finally gets to similar degree as DirectX. It is actually faster on my PC because I don't have to use software vertex clipper with it. OpenGL will do the vertex clipping. It still does not support frame buffer effects yet.

But, in order to use the new OpenGL pixel shader feature, you need to good video card to support OpenGL ARB_Fragment_Program extension. Radeon 9500 and better from ATI, and FX 5200 and better from Nvida will do it.

I have no plan to support frame buffer effects in OpenGL, and I will take a long break from this project after this release.
» Thanks to Spacy for the e-mail reminder :)

» Download Rice's Video 6.6.0 <A HREF="http://www.ngemu.com/download.php?action=plugin&id=37">here</A>

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
been updated with version 6.0.0c look on the emutalk forums thread

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Something rather interesting about this plugin, but it actually works with Ogre Battle 64 and Project 64. It displays everything correctly in the game (no more black backgrounds, yay), but doesn't seem to work correctly if you try it at fullscreen. Not sure why that is. Also, the speeds for Goldeneye and Cruisn USA are massively improved. (I've got a rather slow computer, and it can run Cruisn fine now, and can run Goldeneye at about 70-80% speed.)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Talbain said:
Something rather interesting about this plugin, but it actually works with Ogre Battle 64 and Project 64. It displays everything correctly in the game (no more black backgrounds, yay), but doesn't seem to work correctly if you try it at fullscreen. Not sure why that is. Also, the speeds for Goldeneye and Cruisn USA are massively improved. (I've got a rather slow computer, and it can run Cruisn fine now, and can run Goldeneye at about 70-80% speed.)
What are your specs, out of interest?

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Windows XP SP1
Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU-M 933 MHZ
(Uses Intel 82830M Integrated Graphics Controller)
632MB RAM
No video card.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I keep getting "Cannot load plugin" error in Project 64 with this and nemu64 tells me "Error loading library 'RiceVideo.dll'." Tried downloading it again but nothing changed. What's wrong here?

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Maybe you're not using the RSP plugin. Make sure you tell the RSP plugin to send graphic lists to the video plugin, and make sure your computer has the RSP plugin set as a recompiler.

Whoa... holy crap. With frame skipping on my compy plays most games full speed. Awesomeness. (and it's not choppy or slow, PLUS the sound actually sounds correct. How I have longed to hear the sound of that piercing Needle of Light from my Seraphim *starry eyed*) :thumb: :D

Got Rice *****? ;)

Although... games like Legend of Zelda don't work at all on the emulator, but who cares, it wasn't a good game anyways. :p :laugh: Plus Jabo's D3D7 works perfectly for that game anyways.

Edit: Scratched the aforementioned edit. Apparently for whatever reason, turning on frame skipping is actually what's causing backgrounds to not appear. The strange thing about this is that it's only occasional, and it's only some backgrounds. Plus, for whatever reason, it doesn't actually "skip" the entire background, just parts of it. My guess is that the background is "built" frame by frame, and by skipping these frames, you end up with deletion. (I.e., partial pieces of the background are missing.) Essentially, if you turn off frame-skipping before the story elements occur, you'll get to see full backgrounds, in all their pretty-ness. Though I am still befuddled about why the plugin refuses to work in fullscreen. I'm guessing if you've got a compy that's moderately faster than mine (i.e. 1.6 ghz or so, and around 600-1gb memory, though the extra memory is actually questionable), you can probably play pretty much any game with Rice's video full speed, even Goldeneye. ^^

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Hm... well, you may need more RAM. 256MB is pretty low. Otherwise I would guess that it's because you're running Windows 98 and that maybe the newer plugins are no longer backwards compatible with older Windows OSes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The plugin works great... Excelent work I must say...
but I'm having an stupid anoying dialog every time the plugins starts and I cannot find which option should I disable (or what to do) to get rid of it.
the popup says "No fragment shader support!", any Ideas how can I make this thing dissapear?

I have a GeForce2 Card with Forceware 66.93 WHQL Drivers on Windows XP
The plugin is using OpenGL Renderer...

Thanks

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Mm.. first, computer specs? Secondly, there may be two ways to fix your problem...

Also, have you been getting this error all along, or has it just recently started occuring? If it's the latter, just reset your DLL to the old settings. (I.e., download the plugin again and use that one. Don't fiddle with the options)

I have no idea what fragment shader support is, but I suspect that if you lower the settings for the GL plugin, it should work fine. If it doesn't, then you might consider reverting your computer's integrated video RAM to run it.

Doesn't seem to run too well with nVidia graphics cards...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look, after this damned warning appears, the plugin works perfect. That's why I have no Idea what is the problem... I'm having no problem while game is runing, only this warning when the plugin starts (start game, reset).
dunno what this could be...
I lowered all the settings for OpenGL, and I selected the Combiner Type to nVidia GeForce (in OpenGL Tab).

The rest of the specs are 32Mb of VRAM, PIII 1000b with 256 RAM but I don't think that specs other than Video and Video Drivers have to do with this...

Thanks again

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
well i think this was mentioned but its early in morning and still about asleep but umm games like perfect dark and golden eye(mainly those made by rare that i noticed and actually tested) have a bad issue with what i call sky boxes(i make levels for other pc games and thats what they are called) and it always looks like the sky boxes are never loaded so technically its like a black sky box which is rendered very horribly and it is totally messed up, i think from what has been mentioned that its been fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Errors Galore..

I think this whole thing looks absolutely fantastic. Only bad part is, it's not working for me. For some weird reason, every .dll I added for this decides to give me an error when I hit Settings. It says it can't find it. I've tried re-downloading all of them but nothing seems to work. Please reply! Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts