Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a sticky on another board that was telling people not to revuive dead threads, and it made me think. People on most forums complain when people resurrect an old topic that hasn't been posted in in a long time. People in most forums also complain when people post a new topic on the same subject as an old topic. On a similar note, people will often complain "why are you asking that again when it was already answered in [THIS] thread?", yet if the person posts in that old thread needing more clarification, they complain about dead thread revival. Does this mean that if a thread hasn't been responded to in whatever length of time has been designated has long enough to make it a dead thread, then that topic can never be discussed again?

·
Banned
356 Posts
no if they post for clarrification then they can either post a new thread saying that they couldn't find the answer or they could post in that one asking for clarification and it will be understood.

For topics that always have the same answer (i.e. pcsx2) well we have stickies for that and an almost infinite source of bad things to say to people who don't read them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I thought it`s ok to revive dead threads if you have something considerable/important to say. If it`s just something boring and insignificant like "why don`t you say anything" or "ooo...nice sig" then people get mad at you.
As for a new thread, I don`t think it`s ok. I remember how iritating it was that people create new threads like "does game x work" or "how do I dump bios" when there already are like x threads about those things. They should just reply to the old ones if they didn`t understand. Human lazyness to search I guess.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
But the two questions you mentioned had been answered n times, so they shouldn't even post at all :p

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think reviving old threads is ok as long as you have something important/informative to add, or if you have a question related to the topic of thread. but I know some ppl just tend to forget to look at the date of the last post :heh:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
as a moderator, i will set the record straight on my policy (or rather, interpretation of the board's rules) for my section of the board; PSX emulation.

it's ok to revive a thread if you have something useful to say. "oh i had this problem and i used the help in this thread to get it working" is not something useful. giving the answer to a problem posted 2 years ago is also not something useful. but posting something worthwhile or relevant is fine. for example, let's say someone says "my game crashes when i do X at X." it's fine to revive that thread and say, yeah i read it, but i cant get it to work; here's my situation.

it's best to make a NEW thread when your problem is different in any way (i.e. someone had an FMV crash at disc 2....but you're having it on disc 3. in that case make a new thread). it's also best to make a new thread when you are having an unrelated problem (when someone had FF7 problems dont post your own in their thread. make a new one.)

if you're having A LOT of problems with your emulation experience (i.e. FF7, Driver, and Parasite Eve all dont work) you should probably stick that in one thread. in this case it's not an individual game problem, it's more like your entire setup needs to be reconfigured. so dont post "FF7 problem!" "Driver problem!" "Parasite Eve problem!". just make one thread.

so, there you go. i think i covered it....

some people get a little TOO hyperactive on "omg dont revive dead threads!!" i've seen people freak out over a month old thread when the newly posted information was quite relevant.

in any case, use your best judgement. honestly, if you dont know, just make a new post. and if you dont know after that....add more information to your original post ;)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
hushypushy said:
as a moderator, i will set the record straight on my policy (or rather, interpretation of the board's rules) for my section of the board; PSX emulation.

it's ok to revive a thread if you have something useful to say. "oh i had this problem and i used the help in this thread to get it working" is not something useful. giving the answer to a problem posted 2 years ago is also not something useful. but posting something worthwhile or relevant is fine. for example, let's say someone says "my game crashes when i do X at X." it's fine to revive that thread and say, yeah i read it, but i cant get it to work; here's my situation.

it's best to make a NEW thread when your problem is different in any way (i.e. someone had an FMV crash at disc 2....but you're having it on disc 3. in that case make a new thread). it's also best to make a new thread when you are having an unrelated problem (when someone had FF7 problems dont post your own in their thread. make a new one.)

if you're having A LOT of problems with your emulation experience (i.e. FF7, Driver, and Parasite Eve all dont work) you should probably stick that in one thread. in this case it's not an individual game problem, it's more like your entire setup needs to be reconfigured. so dont post "FF7 problem!" "Driver problem!" "Parasite Eve problem!". just make one thread.

so, there you go. i think i covered it....

some people get a little TOO hyperactive on "omg dont revive dead threads!!" i've seen people freak out over a month old thread when the newly posted information was quite relevant.

in any case, use your best judgement. honestly, if you dont know, just make a new post. and if you dont know after that....add more information to your original post ;)
Hell yes to that. For offtopic its usually somebody going "lol, that was funny" so its not needed.

Edit: moving to site discussion.

·
Banned
356 Posts
the problem is keeping people on topic in threads, I know how the discussion can lead off and sometimes its accepted other times its like 'no don't do it'. This usually depends on the admin/mods mood at the time, sometimes threads are locked because the discussion has moved off topic othertimes its left running until finally after ten pages worth of off topic discussion the thread is closed...

·
Registered
325 Posts
This usually depends on the admin/mods mood at the time.
Shhh! The admins/mods are always right, it doesn`t matter if they close your thread because of their mood, cause they are always right (else you will get a ban). (j/k)
If the mods let a thread go a little off topic without closing it, then I guess you should thank them, cause that means that they`re a little indulgent (even if they say all the time that they`re evil (Hi Elly! :rolleyes: )), but after 10 pages of totally off topic and unnecessary discusion they have no choice but to close them.
But the two questions you mentioned had been answered n times, so they shouldn't even post at all :p
Oops, you`re right:emb: . I meant that it`s probably less iritating to reply to the old ones instead of each new member to make a new thread. Also, if you have something important to say (eg: I have found a new way to dump the bios), it`s best to reply to the old thread instead of creating a new one.

·
Banned
356 Posts
but after 10 pages of totally off topic and unnecessary discusion they have no choice but to close them.
You misinterpret my exaggeration, I mean if the admin/mod is in a good mood he/she? won't care if the topic goes on and on even if it is off topic... If they are in a bad mood they lock straight away...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I understand you but I believe they do care even if they are in a good mood, but they like to be a little indulgent, probably saying that the discusions will probably end soon. Some discusions end, some don`t... And if they don`t, then they`ll close it even if they are in a good mood (eg: The perpetual Final Fantasy X thread), and I can`t blame them.
That`s how moderators are suposed to be after all.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts