914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my old computer:

Celeron 300A
32MB RAM PC100
3.2GB Quantum Fireball
some motherboard manufactured by Jetway

Crappy, right?:D

Planning to 'revive' this unit. My friend was generous enough to donate his old TNT2 M64 and a 10GB Seagate HD. I bought a stick of 256MB PC133 SDRAM and an old SoundBlaster PCI sound card and a new m/b: ASUS P3V4x. I know it's old but from what I've read in several hardware sites it's all good. Can do 150MHz FSB tops with proper cooling. Well, I'm going to overclock my 300A to 600, only tried it with 450 for a year and it worked fine. Any good slot1 heatsink/fan combo? Also, what set of Detonators is best for the M64? What speeds is it good at (overclocked)? I can't afford to buy a GeForce2 MX now so I have to make do with what I have. Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
300 A being overclocked to 600 ,can it be done? I am not sure about this overclocking stuff(havent tried this before) but seen manuals of overclocking.Is it very risky? If not should I try it on my celeron 500?If yes how high can I go?
I think I also need to revive my system but this motherboard doesnt allow anything else except processor or ram.

·
In limbo
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by prafull
300 A being overclocked to 600 ,can it be done? I am not sure about this overclocking stuff(havent tried this before) but seen manuals of overclocking.Is it very risky? If not should I try it on my celeron 500?If yes how high can I go?
I think I also need to revive my system but this motherboard doesnt allow anything else except processor or ram.
Yes, my friend, it can be done.:) Although, not too many people do it for fear of damaging your CPU and other PC components...which is true!:D Overcloking can work, only if you take certain precautions. 300As are one of the most overclockable CPUs around. I ran it at 450 tops for a good year and a half and no probs whatsoever. Intel CPUs manufactured in Malaysia and Costa Rica usually yield good overclocking results, but not all of them. Remember, heat is the no. 1 enemy when overclocking so be sure to put in a good heatsink+fan or peltier or water-cooler. Oh yeah, check out the CPU Database at www.overclokers.com. For cooling, check out www.tennmax.com.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
10 GB Seagate HD? I had one of those. I had it for 4 months and the thing didn't work right anymore. It kept making weird noises and stopped responding with my computer. I returned it today and got a Quantum Fireball 20GB :) . I payed a little extra but it was worth it. With my experience I didn't like that Seagate HD. I still have a Quantum Fireball 1GB HD for 6 years going on to 7 and I NEVER had any problems with it and I still dont have problems with it. I'm sticking with Quantum from now on. I just hope that you dont have the same problem that I had.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by BaD_BURN
Remember, heat is the no. 1 enemy when overclocking so be sure to put in a good heatsink+fan or peltier or water-cooler.[/url]
You're casually mentioning things like peltiers and water cooling to an obvious newbie about overclocking? Not for the faint hearted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts