Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone reverse engineering a BIOS image for the Playstation? If there did exist a reverse engineered BIOS, would it be legal to use it with one of the current emulators (i.e. epsxe)? It seems to be one of the major things lacking in the way of free and legal emulators.

thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
513 Posts
>If there did exist a reverse engineered BIOS, would it be legal to
>use it with one of the current emulators (i.e. epsxe)?
So far as I know reverse engineering a working console (and its associated software) then releasing it to the world is little different than pirating software and/or industrial espionage. I'm not sure of just what I'd agreed to when I bought my PSX, but a majority of the hardware and software you use today comes with an EULA (end user licence agreement) that prohibits such things.

So, in short, I'd be inclined to think that the answer to your question is no. While I'm sure someone will point out the case of Bleem!, to be honest I've never really understood why Sony didn't prohibit its sale back when it was first introduced. I really don't see how getting a BIOS is a major hurtle for free PSX emulators, as just about everyone acknowledges just how easy they are to find with Google and the like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how easy it is to get BIOSes, but it would be nicer if they were legal. I don't like using PSX emulators that require an illegal BIOS image. Kind of a personal preference. It would be nice if someone reverse engineered the BIOS (which recent legal predence says is fine) and then released a version for the emulators that require one.

-Josh

·
Registered
190 Posts
One of my brothers friends worked for Datel for a while, according to him they were reverse engineering the Playstation, Saturn etc so they could get to work on making things like the Action Replay etc for the consoles.
But then, the UK doesn't yet have its equivalent of the DMCA yet.
According to him it was really hard work, so he left after a while and became a programmer for some games company (he was one of the programmers of Martian Gothic).

All that was years ago when the Saturn, Playstation etc were relatively new btw.

BOB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts