Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RetroCopy : Accurate emulator for the Nintendo and Master System

RetroCopy is an attempt to emulate the Sega Master System and Nintendo Entertainment System at the cycle level. I believe it is the first attempt at a fully cycle accurate Master System emulator.

It also includes a custom OpenGL powered 3D interface which shows things like the gameboxes. It is currently only available for Windows, with 32bit and 64bit versions available. You can download it at the above website.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Looks really nice.

Can you please explain more about cycle level and the difference with other methods.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys! :)

Can you please explain more about cycle level and the difference with other methods.
Well the basic difference is that cycle accuracy is about as accurate as you can possibly emulate a system. Now there is a bit of a misconception with the concept of cycle accuracy since some emulators claim to be cycle accurate when maybe only one part of the emulator is. The kind of cycle accuracy I am talking about is the total system.

In the Master System for example there is a clock which runs at ~50MHz. Thankfully I don't need to emulate all the 50MHz (which would be slower) because all the main components run on a lesser ratio which still enables accurate emulation. I emulate the Master System at close to 11MHz, which is the video processors real speed, and the audio/Z80 run at almost 4MHz on a divisor that is a third of the VDP. So in the exact way that the real clock is driving all these components, RetroCopy is driven in the same manner, cycle for cycle.

Other emulators usually are instruction accurate, that is they emulate one instruction of one of the CPUs, and then perform various tasks depending upon how much time that one instruction took. Since an instruction is usually always multiple cycles long (in the Z80 case, some are over 20 cycles long), the amount of accuracy you can get is based on the average instruction cycle length. Some emulators have "hacks" if I could use that term without offending, to increase the accuracy at not much cost to speed, like adding delays where appropriate in the IO, etc. RetroCopy's aim is to be accurate down to every cycle, whereas an instruction accurate emulator could possibly only claim accuracy down to about 45 (system) cycles.

To give an overall assessment of the types of accuracy, RetroCopy could be used to replace real hardware if there were ways to physically connect a PC to the real master system. I'm not aware of any other emulator that would be capable of that but it shows how close to hardware the emulation is. I'm not concerned with running RetroCopy on old PCs which has allowed me to really target accuracy over everything else.

Another thing I want to mention is I say RetroCopy is "cycle accurate" but that is a misleading term everyone throws about. I know RetroCopy isn't yet accurate down to every cycle, but it is my aim to be cycle accurate. RetroCopy *CAN* be cycle accurate, which is I guess the biggest difference between it and most others. Also just because RetroCopy is very accurate doesn't mean something which is 50 times less accurate won't be able to play 99% of the games on a system. Something like RetroCopy is for the emulation purist that wants something to be extremely accurate to real machine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cycle accurate emulation seem to be the new big thing these days (what with bsnes being available too), and that's great. It's great that we've reached the point where we have hardware that can provide truely accurate emulation of older systems. While this is unrealistic for emulation of newer hardware (thus the approach taken by PCSX2 makes the most sense), this would be the best solution for something like the Master System or NES.

Awesome stuff.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
That is seriously cool. I love how the colour from the screen illuminates the foreground and changes with the screen colour. Very very nice. Definitely going to be using this emulator. Awesome stuff RetroRalph, cant wait for the next beta.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Gotta love the TV-like output.

Only problem here is that the font of the user interface looks awful on the monitor's high resolution (so bad that the text is unreadable). I guess that's just ATi's bad OpenGL support for my card (Mobilty Radeon X600).

Nice work so far btw. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotta love the TV-like output.

Only problem here is that the font of the user interface looks awful on the monitor's high resolution (so bad that the text is unreadable). I guess that's just ATi's bad OpenGL support for my card (Mobilty Radeon X600).

Nice work so far btw. :)
Could you take a screenshot of how it looks. Might give an insight into the issue.

What is your monitors resolution?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that is horrible. Does that card support NON POWER OF 2 textures? I'm guessing no. It looks like the filtering it's doing is very corruptive.

Have you tried forcing on disabling/enabling of AF/AA to see if it fixes anything? Maybe another driver would work too, but yeah that's definitely an OpenGL issue. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
NPOT support is there... but by the looks of it it's kinda broken, not that it ever worked right. Maybe sometime in the future. :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm using linear filtering for the min and mag filter, which basically shouldn't use MIPMAPs. The GUI however uses "nearest" pixel because there is no filtering needed for it, everything is showed 1:1. There is no AF or anything of that nature though. To me it almost looks like it's using the "nearest" pixel of an inferior version of the texture, like a mipmap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There you are :p
Maybe you missed the edit, but the GUI is nearest pixel for both. How textures are filtered depends upon their use in RetroCopy. Since the GUI textures are only displayed in a 1:1 fashion there is no need for filtering, in fact it's better quality without it (on most computers I should say :p)

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.