Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just installed ePSXe and had just started a game up a time or two, then exited- worked fine.

Then I started one up, started hitting buttons to see if there was a way to access the ePSXe menus mid-game, and somehow froze it. I got it to shut down after it "stopped responding", but the resolution on my monitor didn't return to normal. I fixed it manually, but now everything is "fuzzy." As in, pretty sure it'll give me a headache if I try to read text on here for long now.

Anyways, I'm running Windows XP, ATI Mobility Radeon X300, Pete's OpenGL GPU... Any ideas, folks? I've restarted both the computer and ePSXe, with no luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The ESC key...but you can't change any settings. That function is there so you can either quit or swap disks.

If you're using ePSXeCutor, "quick configure" your game, go to the Options tab, and check the box labelled "Start ePSXe GUI".

Someone else will have to tell you what to do if you're using Delta.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
OH GOD NO don't use system restore! system restore should be off at all times! god i hate it.

anyway the reason your fonts are all blurry is because you're using a laptop, with an LCD screen. LCD screens look horrid at anything except standard res. so, go to desktop, right click, settings, and max out your desktop res.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You're right, if his only problem is that he's got the screen set to the wrong resolution, then changing the desktop settings will fix it.

I thought it was more along the lines of fubar'd registry settings, which is why I made the System Restore comment.

And incidentally, System Restore has saved my bacon on two or three occasions, like the time installing a new driver removed some resolutions from my driver settings. So it's not always a bad thing. The only real problem I've had with it is its impact on system performance.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help! I know I tried out the highest resolution right after this problem and it didn't look right, so I put it on the next setting down (haven't had this laptop long...). But upon your advice I tried setting it back, and (after a few issues requiring restart) it's back to normal. Despite making me feel stupid, thanks again for your help. :heh:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Side note:

How blurry an LCD screen gets at lower resolutions depends in part on how high its native resolution is.

Resizing a 1024x768 screen to a lower rez will definitely look blurry (or blocky if the laptop uses pixel doubling instead of resampling), 1280x1024 less so. and 1440x1080 even less so. If you start from 1600x1200 (I used to own a laptop with this resolution, and my desktop LCD monitor has this) the resampling blurriness is not really noticeable - you have to look for it to see it.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.