Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get flashes of green bars and green checkerboard patterns during Resident Evil 2's opening movies and logo vids. It's not like it makes the game unplayable, but it does reduce the enjoyment somewhat.

I've searched here for the problem, found people who had it, but no solution.

Is there anyone here who has had this problem and solved it?

I haven't tried another emulator yet, I'm saving that for after I get all my PS1 games set up in ePSXe; then I'll try all the ones I couldn't get working in other emulators.

What I have tried:

- Putting the disk in my PS2 to see if it's the disk. The MDECs play perfectly.
- Making an ISO and running from that. No difference.
- Various options on Pete's OpenGL GPU, including windowed mode, varying the framebuffer, smoothing, texture, frameskipping, special game fixes, etc. etc. Nothing makes a difference.
- Using Peops GPU, various options. No difference.
- All without savestates.

What I have noticed:
- The green flashes always seem to come at the beginning of a fade-up or fade-down in brightness in the MDEC. Could this be a GPU function that's imperfectly emulated, perhaps something related to keyframes?

As always, any help is welcome.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
have you tried setting it to off and trying it? it can be changed to default on and still "application control"....its worth a shot, it takes like 30 seconds total.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ah, ATi, whom for which i have nothing but deceit...well just kidding but that's almost true.

does it only happen during the opening movies? if so, i might have to be a dick here and just say...get over it. :/

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if it only happens during the opening movies, I haven't gotten far enough into the game to even find out if more exist. I can say that it happens on both disk 1 and 2, and only during FMV stuff.

I could try to play the FMVs with a dedicated player, but ( a ) I don't want to see the other ones until I reach them through gameplay, and ( b ) I can just watch them on my PS2.

But no harm in asking, yes?

BTW, on the off chance that the problem was the result of bad data on a marginal-quality disk (i.e. could be read by PS2 but not my DVD/RW drive), I scanned the disk. The scanning tool reported remarkably low numbers of correctable errors and no uncorrectable ones.

Yeah, I'll just get over it. :p

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
do you have another CD drive to try it out in?

im not sure what could be causing it, at first i thought you meant like little glitches, the pictures show a lot of weird corruption....the fact that you used peops soft and it still goes like that is strange.

on a last chance, have you tried PSXeven or SSSPSX?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, I tried another CD drive - one that's just a CD-ROM. No difference. Anyway, the data on the disk is good. In fact, the correctible error rates (PI/PO) on the disk are better than many CDs that are more recently manufactured.

Other emulators? Not yet. I just finished configuring ePSXe for my last PS1 game (Final Fantasy Tactics) and so now I shall try other emus on the games that didn't fare so well - out of about 40, only 3 - Driver, RE2, and RE3.

Dan

P.S. I played the intro videos through PSX Multi Converter and they played glitch-free.

This suggests that whatever ePSXe (or the Pete's OpenGL) is using to process STR videos is flawed. So in addition to trying other emulators, I will also try additional GPU plugins.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
just FYI, when you say you are "configuring ePSXe" that's actually wrong. you're configuring the plugins. therefore, when you open up PSXeven or wahtever, your settings for pete's plugins will already be there :) (stored in registry).

there are barely any emulator settings, you're going to have to set up a pad plugin and move your other plugins/bios over but it's pretty simple to switch emulators. so don't fret, your GPU/SPU/CD settings will be intact.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since my last post, I figured out a way to use ePSXeCutor as a (semi) front-end for sssPSX. I renamed the sssPSX executable to ePSXe.exe.

Since sssPSX doesn't use the standard registry settings for memory cards or for selecting plugins, ePSXeCutor can't be used to configure those. However, it can be used to configure the plugin settings on a per-game basis.

So I use ePSXeCutor (by way of a desktop shortcut, BTW) to start sssPSX with the plugins configured for Driver, RE2 disk 1 or RE2 disk 2 (i.e. which ISO Mooby points at), go to the memcard tabs and select what I want there, and run the game. Voila!

Dan

P.S. Now I need to do something similar for PSXEven, because RE3 has the green flashes in ePSXe and no voiceover sound in sssPSX. But it runs fine in PSXEven with the right plugins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just mount the RE3 .iso on Daemon tools and run the game from the emulated cd-rom. It fixed the voice-overs for me.

dbhankins said:
Since my last post, I figured out a way to use ePSXeCutor as a (semi) front-end for sssPSX. I renamed the sssPSX executable to ePSXe.exe.

Since sssPSX doesn't use the standard registry settings for memory cards or for selecting plugins, ePSXeCutor can't be used to configure those. However, it can be used to configure the plugin settings on a per-game basis.

So I use ePSXeCutor (by way of a desktop shortcut, BTW) to start sssPSX with the plugins configured for Driver, RE2 disk 1 or RE2 disk 2 (i.e. which ISO Mooby points at), go to the memcard tabs and select what I want there, and run the game. Voila!

Dan

P.S. Now I need to do something similar for PSXEven, because RE3 has the green flashes in ePSXe and no voiceover sound in sssPSX. But it runs fine in PSXEven with the right plugins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.