Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been answered, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

What are the requirements for PCSX2? I'm not asking about things like CPU speed, the obvious answer there is 'very fast', but rather things like which Linux distribution is recommended, what type of CPU is needed (eg. are features like MMX required? - I know that SSE is utilised if you have it, but I'm wondering what's actually required).

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
sudo said:
Sorry if this has already been answered, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

What are the requirements for PCSX2? I'm not asking about things like CPU speed, the obvious answer there is 'very fast', but rather things like which Linux distribution is recommended, what type of CPU is needed (eg. are features like MMX required? - I know that SSE is utilised if you have it, but I'm wondering what's actually required).

MMX is the bare minimum for using the Interpreter
SSE is required for the Recompiler
SSE2 is required for the VURec and Recompiler

if you load pcsx2 and goto config->cpu, it tells you what needs what

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I think I'll be a bit more direct now :)

Has anyone had it running on a PowerPC CPU (under Linux)? Or only on Intel-based CPUs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the source code on the download page. I haven't looked at it yet, but presumably you could just download the source and recompile for PowerPC. You can for most apps anyway, just download and ./configure && make. Or is PCSX2 more complex than that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Porting PCSX2 to PPC might be interesting, especially to PPC64, but it relies on a lot of assembly code, so a port would pose quite difficult I think...

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
sudo said:
I saw the source code on the download page. I haven't looked at it yet, but presumably you could just download the source and recompile for PowerPC. You can for most apps anyway, just download and ./configure && make. Or is PCSX2 more complex than that?
what lancom said, the recompiler is based on converting PS2 code to x86 code, plus there is one part (a whole 5 lines wooo!!) of the code elsewhere that uses pure X86 ASM.

change them to PPC and remove usage of the recomipler and alter a few other bits, and i dont see why a PPC port wouldnt be possible :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I've seen quite a bit assembly code in PCSX2's source, at least much more than 5 lines... Even that stupid file that keeps throwing compiler errors at me contains more than 5 lines. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'll leave it to someone else to do the porting, my programming experience is limited to Visual Basic, and that was a while ago :rolleyes:

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
lancom said:
I think I've seen quite a bit assembly code in PCSX2's source, at least much more than 5 lines... Even that stupid file that keeps throwing compiler errors at me contains more than 5 lines. :)
i think it was Shadow who said there was 5 lines of assembly in the actual non-recompiler code. Its possible its the recompiler code in the x86_sse.c, x86.c and x86_mmx.c and so forth that has all the assembly. Plus the CPU detection of course, but that can be removed.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i don't think it can really be done in a nice way. There's a giant problem with one system being little endian and the other big endian... i'm too tired to remember. But the point is, each system reads each byte in reverse of the other meaning almost the whole emulater needs to be recoded to read information backwards from the x86.

edit... YES, i've seen it COMPILED on Macintosh before. That's because it's syntatically correct. But logically it's backwards. So in closing. The actual emulation code would need a GIANT rewrite.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lancom said:
Porting PCSX2 to PPC might be interesting, especially to PPC64, but it relies on a lot of assembly code
Specifically, I was hoping to get it running on my Apple system. Today, Apple announced that they'll be releasing Intel-based computers, so it looks like the x86 assembly might not get in the way after all :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
For some reason, my computer is already well in the requirements, but whenever I run the CPU option of having it max, the emulator would crash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts