Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi :p ive been reading alot about the documentation of the 360's hardware and it seems pretty well documented compared to how it was a few years ago, ive put in my mind that once im good at coding i want to start an emulation project for the original xbox and the 360, but what would be the hardware requirements for it? serious answers only please, im sick of hearing comments like "NOOO ITS IMP0SS1BL33!!! HARDWER DOZNT EXIST Y3T!1!!" kinda why i came to this site, theres always knowledgeable people i see here and some experts :L

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It's impossible to tell.

It depends on how optimized you can make it. The developer is the one who is supposed to state the system requirements for the program he is making, because it all comes down to how good he is at making such program and how important he thinks it is to optimize the performance.

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's impossible to tell.

It depends on how optimized you can make it. The developer is the one who is supposed to state the system requirements for the program he is making, because it all comes down to how good he is at making such program and how important he thinks it is to optimize the performance.
i know i know :L but im just thinking of some estimates, like since the 360's cpu is of powerpc architecture and runs at 3.2ghz and has 3 cores, translating it to an x86 quad core that runs at 3.7ghz would mean almost all processing power would go to that alone. or would the extra core on an x86 cpu be enough for the remaining emulation of the 360's hardware be enough you'd suppose? :/

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
No to be a downer, but if I had a dollar for everyone who wants to write a 360 emu but doesn't know how to code one, I'd have lunch money for weeks. There's more to writing an emu than being "good at coding" because that doesn't just "make it easier" either. Have you ever written an emulator before? Before you even think of attempting Xbox 1 or 360, make sure you know the basics of emu programming and write an emu of a *much* older console such as gameboy or Sega Mark III. Just saying, it's important to think realistically before attempting this.

Furthermore, you're making the same mistake that almost everyone does when talking about emulating 360. Have you stopped an thought about the other hardware besides the CPU? The rest of the hardware (especially the GPU) just multiplies the complexity. How are you going to emulate the GPU and all of it's features (you'll need a D3D11 class GPU for that) on moder hardware? What about the BIOS/kernel? What about audio hardware, DSPs, and other peripheral devices? You need to take ALL of these into account before you can think of emulating any console.

That aside, I also came to the conclusion that a PPC64 -> x86_64 static rec engine would be most feasible for this, and even that is alot of work in itself. If you pull it off, great. TBH, I don't think 360 is worth emulating, but at the same time, I do want to see it emulated and I won't discourage you from trying. In fact, I support your endeavour, but from a realistic perspective. In short, it's most definitely possible on current gen PC hardware, but the question is, do you have what it takes to do it?

EDIT: Feel free to read any other threads regarding this topic because I've posted my thoughts in more detail than I can currently recall.

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im so glad the xbox emulator coder himself replied to me, this is my special day, thank you :') and gah i know, ive been reading this forum's threads and posts since maybe late last year, almost a year now o: and like you said so many promises down the drain ever since the early cxbx days >.<

Yeah ive given that thought, seems like emulating the ps3's graphics card is easier than the one of the 360 since its based of a regular nvidia chip >_> once i get better at coding im guessing ill have to look at how virtual machines handle powerpc code before i think of emulation then, ugh >.< but hey a challenge is a challenge :p

and once again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread, you have no idea how happy it makes me hearing from the last remaining xbox coder :')

EDIT: on a side note, how come you dont think the 360 isnt worth emulating? ive read that numerous times in your posts here but i dont really get why o:

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Sure, no problem. :)

Why do I not think Xbox 360 is worth emulating? Well, for starters, I like next to nothing about this console (except for XBLA); hardware, games, reliability, marketing, etc. I personally feel the console has little to offer me and it's design and game selection is piss poor compared to the first Xbox. The backward compatibility isn't very good either as Microsoft decided to either give up on or completely ignore numerous good titles.

Ironically, I work on 360 games for a living, and I'm more interested in emulating 360 than Wii and PS3. My personal opinion of the console shouldn't govern if it should be emulated or not, and if I had the hardware I needed, I'd be more than happy to try (if I had the time because work and my start up company takes up all of my time). So, don't listen to me when I say that it isn't worth emulating. If the emu scene was swayed by people's opinions all the time, Xbox1 would never get emulated since the scene is mostly filled with free loaders that want to play their pirated collection of games.

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wait, its really just another Radeon chip o_O? every 360 mod and jtaging site that ive been to described its gpu as something completely unrelated to most of ATI's line of gpu's o.o
@Squall, thank you for that information :D

@blueshogun thank you for letting me in your opinion :) you do have a point there in a way xD

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
The GPU is basically a R600 series GPU adding to what Squall already said. The datasheet has been released by ATI some time ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts