Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've increasingly come to use PEOpS soft driver that I just leave it set all the time now, whereas I used to only run 2d games with it. But for those games, I've noticed the graphical benefits with the various stretching filters. And I understand that these require additional CPU (the message "needs a fast cpu" was pretty explanatory) but I'm wondering exactly what kind of a system is necessary to run them.

For example, I'm getting slowdown on Valkyrie Profile while having any of them enabled. The only difference is that it's worse with some than others. I have a P4 3.0 ghz cpu, running a Geforce 6800 so it's hard to imagine that I would need a better system than this.

Incidentally, I have dithering disabled, thirty two bit color depth, and 1680x1050 resolution. I am unwilling to change the resolution or color depth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're trying to stretch to use 1680x1050 resolution, I can see why you're running into slowdowns. Admittedly, there's not much out there that beats your system as far as performance, but I can see a few things that probably don't help.

Pete optimizes his plugins on ATI cards, as I understand it. He doesn't test extensively on Nvidia cards, so there's probably some slight performance bottlenecks there.

However, it's going to be less than otherwise, because of the fact that you're using the Software driver. That leaves your processor, not your video card, doing the load that the video card would be perfectly suited to. There's not much in computing that will task your system more than video processing, even these days. So, when you have the opportunity to let your graphics card do the processing for you, you should let it.

I'd recommend moving away from software rendering, and towards a graphics plugin that will relieve your processor, like the OpenGL, OpenGL2, or D3D plugins.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
He doesn't test extensively on Nvidia cards, so there's probably some slight performance bottlenecks there.
what the hell are you talking about? he owns a 6800GT and he even mentions most of the time that he doesnt know what will happen with ATi cards, but hey it works with Nvidia. how about his "very high X" thing, which doesnt work with any ATi card below the 1xxxx? hmm?

anyway, aperson, why are you playing the game in such an odd aspect ratio? why not at least a 4:3 ratio like 1400x1050? i understand that you have a widescreen monitor, but still. why not 1400x1050 in a window, it will fill up the screen and not look all stretched.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's good to know that it's not just my system. I'll have to give something like the OpenGL plugin another try, and hopefully I don't end up having switch for 2d games like I used to.

And I don't think my screen aspect is so odd considering that most PC games support it (X-Men Legends 2, Half-Life 2, you name it). It's my native screen resolution, so that's why I use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.