Next Generation Emulation banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Emu Tinkerer
76 Posts
@tabai :
The button-bar below looks nice, but where do I put the filtering controls then? Also, the 4th button has no dialog behind it yet. I was even considering to integrate all config into one dialog, a bit something like this. I do like the color of your square buttons better than the color of the Play button (perhaps the Dxbx header logo could use a touch of that sort of green too?)
Ok. We can put whatever you want at the bottom. Just think of the buttons as shortcuts for specific settings. The filtering controls could be the table's headers. One click and the table is sorted by the header clicked.

The green 'grating' background on the right is a nice touch, if we use it, it should be a repeating pattern, so that it shows more when the window is enlarged (for this, the info-pane should resize itself to it's contents of course).
It can be repeated.

The green lines in the grid are a a bit complicated to draw, as i'm using a standard grid control - I haven't done much customization to those yet, so I don't know if it's complicated to do or not.
I know; I've been there too. Maybe we can find a skinnable control?

The rounded corners around the game-icon will hide a few pixels of the icon, and I don't know if that's wise. Some icons have pretty weird color combinations, so using a margin around it is not an option either.
As I see it now, there are three layers involved : The green grated background, the icon itself and the border around it. It might be possible to change the order of the layers, so that the icon is on top when it has 'non-background' pixels in the corners, but I suspect that is a lot of work for just a few pixels. So either make it a square, or place the icon at the top layer.
This can be solved keeping the look easily. You just have to place the topmost layer (the border) over the actual icon image control. I have done it before in .NET.

Another thing that I haven't figured out yet, is how to differentiate between the list of titles itself (read from the XBE dumps, or a gamebase.xml file) and a 'have' list - showing all xbe/iso's that are present on the users system. Talking about this with Shadow_tj gave me the idea that maybe we should split the list in categories, so we can have games, applications and demos in separate tabs. But I don't know for sure yet.
One difference is the source of the details - the 'have' list will probably read the title, icon and other details straight from the XBE/ISO, while the titles list/database has no XBE to read from, so it can only use what's available in the dump-files (so for now we can't show an icon, untill we re-dump everything to include the icon).
Maybe we should have a "no icon available" icon too (and a few region-images perhaps, like in Joao's screenshots).
Sure. Maybe Joao can make one?

Oh, and where did Copyright icon and TitleID go?
Copyright = MS logo? Having too much stuff there makes it look cluttered. Besides what's the reason to have the Copyright icon there?

The TitleID can be put back there.

Can you layer PNGs with Delphi?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Hi Joao, your icon is quite crowded and draws a lot of unnecessary attention to itself. I was more thinking of something like this : http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:0GY5YQgvtZdVvM:http://www.umich.edu/~concanoe/photo_not_available.jpg

Also, I have come to realize there's a few different states we'll have to consider :
- when the user doesn't have a title, the data shown is all taken from the XBE dumps (which don't contain a logo dump yet); the title can't be run anyway.
- when a title is present locally (the path contains an XBE or ISO), it might contain an icon - but not always, while others have multiple icons (and a smaller save-game icon); this is still not saying the title can be run
- when a title contains library code we don't have patterns for, the chance of emulating it are slim to none; especially link-time optimized libraries will not run (nor will debug-libraries, although that might change some day)
- only when all circumstances seem right, emulating the title might be possible; until then the Launch/Play/Start/Emulate/whatever button should stay disabled.

So at least we still need a disabled 'launch' button image, can that be arranged, please?

Thanks in advance for all your work!
Regards, Patrick

·
Never give up your dreams
181 Posts
Hi there Patrick... Sorry for the delay, I have been a bit busy these days, but... here are my suggestions:

PS1: I'm going to make the disabled LAUNCH button image later ;)

PS2: If you want the camera like a drawing, just say :)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I think a camera is a bit out of place ;) I was only referring to that other example to indicate a simpler style, and for that purpose, the middle one suffices for now (until we design an abstract glyph for an Xbox title).

PS : Please don't forget the disabled Launch button image...

·
Emu Tinkerer
76 Posts
Wow I don't know why I'm not subscribed to this thread anymore. I'm sorry Joao, I didn't mean to ignore you. Sorry for that.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts