Next Generation Emulation banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
And what idea would that be? I'm curious...

As for the resolution/subwindow issue :

I tried and we can indeed fit the emulated screen in whatever space I want - the screen is resized to fit. I don't see much use for still having the GUI around while emulating, but it can be done.
About the only thing that would be usefull, is having a few buttons : pause, stop, config - but I don't know yet if I can make these work anyhow.

Perhaps I should resize the Dxbx window to 640x480 once emulation starts, so that the GUI can be any size we want (even resizable) and still have a fitting window when running a game.
I could even make the emulated size configurable, so you could run at 320x240, 800x600 or 1280x960 or something like that - it won't look good, but that's up to the user.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Ok im back from vacation.. so im back.

creating a 3d background thing could be funny, however its a xbox emulator not a game.
a nice background is good also.. no fancy 3d stuff.. people want to play games. not make a poster of the dxbx background image :p

Also no effects and stuff.. things like dashboards are small animations.. its good looking, but not the main feature of dxbx.

The icons are looking good.. a nice background image would be nice to have but dont make it to fancy.

·
Never give up your dreams
181 Posts
See if you like the idea for the window 'About'... The original file of the circuit board image is BMP, so don't worry if it looks a bit blurred! :)

Shadow_tj, you say that have a new and nice background is good, but not too fancy stuff... I really can't make the connection of a nice background without creativity/imagination... I know the main proposal of an emulator is playing games, but I don't think this cancels a background with creative stuff.

Anyway, here is my suggestion... I hope you like it ;)

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Will ask patrick what he thinks of it.. but i think its a nice thing for the about window... except the active and inactive programmers :)

·
181 Posts
Will ask patrick what he thinks of it.. but i think its a nice thing for the about window... except the active and inactive programmers :)
My main objective was to show the image, I put that just to exemplify. The text part you are going to do, so you can decide how you want to put the devs: divided in inactive and active devs or not. :thumb:

Thanks for the opinion :)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Immediate favorite!

I think it would be totally cool if the little green dots would animate - lazily floating around the center chip like fireflies. Oops, my mind slips into imagination-mode again : It would also be cool if there's the occasional spark of current on random locations on the wires. And the lighting on each of the chips could fade in & out a bit, maybe flashing now and then, just like those neon signs on back-alley hotels you see in movies sometimes...
But realistically, only the moving fireflies are doable (if someone can find the time to do it, that is).

Otherwise, I understand you want to put /something/ on the chips, and you've done it in a good way. But for me, I really wouldn't want to draw too much attention to the individuals. I let it be your call, but if you could find something else to show on those chips, it would be fine by me too.

Anyway, I think this fits the style perfectly - just maybe you could add a touch more of 'xbox green' somewhere, maybe apply it to one of the wires (like the orange one)?

This leaves us with the main GUI - the mockup you made has some nice aspects, but the color-scheme (slated silver) doesn't feel right to me. If the theme is green-on-black with details in white (and other basic colors), as with the icons and this About screen, then the main GUI should use that too.
I tried it with a dark titanium texture, but couldn't find the right 'look'. (Here's a few examples I tried.) What if you made something like this or this, but use Xbox-green on black and the letters 'Dxbx' as a backdrop?
Do browse that site, this one looks a bit like your About screen, for example.

Good luck!

·
181 Posts
patrickvl said:
I think it would be totally cool if the little green dots would animate - lazily floating around the center chip like fireflies. Oops, my mind slips into imagination-mode again : It would also be cool if there's the occasional spark of current on random locations on the wires. And the lighting on each of the chips could fade in & out a bit, maybe flashing now and then, just like those neon signs on back-alley hotels you see in movies sometimes...
But realistically, only the moving fireflies are doable (if someone can find the time to do it, that is).
I'll try to make the animation you've talked, I liked the idea. But I don't know if the image quality will be the same, because I'll have to save it as an Animated GIF. But I will try! :)

patrickvl said:
Otherwise, I understand you want to put /something/ on the chips, and you've done it in a good way. But for me, I really wouldn't want to draw too much attention to the individuals. I let it be your call, but if you could find something else to show on those chips, it would be fine by me too.
I tried to make something that represents the Dxbx team + the emulator, so I thought in a circuit board, but you say that wouldn't want much attention on the individuals... Perhaps I could put the Tools that each one has made, connecting the wires to them... Maybe this can take off some attention to the individuals. I'll try to make something else and post here... :)

patrickvl said:
Anyway, I think this fits the style perfectly - just maybe you could add a touch more of 'xbox green' somewhere, maybe apply it to one of the wires (like the orange one)?
See the attached image if it looks like you want :)

patrickvl said:
This leaves us with the main GUI - the mockup you made has some nice aspects, but the color-scheme (slated silver) doesn't feel right to me. If the theme is green-on-black with details in white (and other basic colors), as with the icons and this About screen, then the main GUI should use that too.
I tried it with a dark titanium texture, but couldn't find the right 'look'. (Here's a few examples I tried.) What if you made something like this or this, but use Xbox-green on black and the letters 'Dxbx' as a backdrop?
Do browse that site, this one looks a bit like your About screen, for example.
When I finish the window 'About' I'll jump to the main GUI design, following these ideas above. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hi Joao, the 'buzzing fireflies' and 'sparks' effects are probably something we want to do in code - an animated GIF (or whatever other animated format) would become prohibitively large.

Replacing the contributor names with tool-names is an idea, but it doesn't make much sense to me (we don't have /that/ many tools, and they might even be integrated into one executable at a later moment). So I'm still in doubt about this. Maybe you should just leave the contributors in like you originally envisioned, and leave it that way for now.

As for the green-inside-orange, it doesn't look good (the orange and green contradict too much). Perhaps it's better to replace the orange by green completely, or rearrange the colors, so that Shadow_Tj's chip-lines are green (him being the project starter and main C>Delphi translator).

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
There is still one thing that is missing in the nice sparkling logo :)
The text DXBX is missing !!

wanted to use the image in the setup... but now i see.. there is no Dxbx text

Prehaps you can insert the text 'Dxbx' in the midle of the X or something ?

·
181 Posts
patrickvl said:
Replacing the contributor names with tool-names is an idea, but it doesn't make much sense to me (we don't have /that/ many tools, and they might even be integrated into one executable at a later moment). So I'm still in doubt about this. Maybe you should just leave the contributors in like you originally envisioned, and leave it that way for now.
My idea was not to replace the contributors' names, it was just to put, also, the tools that each one has made. But forget it, I don't think it will look good even :/

Anyway, here are my other suggestions for the 'About' window:

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
can you make it with white top and bit of gray down ?

Also can you use the font type and style like you used in XIso .. that plastic effect

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The left one, definitely - the letters look a bit like the XISO icon, which I liked too.

If you finish this, would you publish the result in separate layers, please? That way we can later replace the firefly layer with an animation.

·
181 Posts
Here is the result...

Into the zip file, there is the original image and there are, also, the separated layers :)

See if I have done it right :thumb:

PS: Maybe you can have some ideas of how to make the fireflies motion here... ;)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Hi, thanks for this! It's looking good.

The only thing I can think of, is that to have the animation behind the Dxbx letters, it would be better to have this in a layer separate from the rest of the image too.

So, are you still motivated enough to think about the main GUI? Do keep in mind that most of that is going to be filled with text, so don't use too much details - just a nice backdrop using our main colors (black backgroud, xbox green, some white and maybe rainbow colors) will suffice. The layout of the GUI you posted before can work, but I don't know yet how we're going to fit filtering capabilities in there.

Also thanks for the animation-link. Someday someone will do this, but not me for now, as I have lots of other things to do.

Cheers!

·
181 Posts
This is my suggestion for the Dxbx backdrop... I have removed the buttons with the functions, as you can see, I think it's better add them when Dxbx starts running few commercial games, like Turok Evolution. You will spend much time making the buttons with the functions rather than be favouring the emulation itself :)

See if you like my suggestion ;)

PS: You still want this with the game list, right?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts