Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, perhaps someone with more artistic skills than me could design us a few application icons?!?

Looking back at our screenshots, I noticed we still use the default icons Delphi provides, except Dxbx.exe, which uses Cxbx's icon.

So, what we need are a set of icons for:
  • Dxbx.exe - the main executable and GUI
  • DxbxKrnl.dll - our emulation code
  • XBEExplorere.exe - my tool to dig deep into the internals of an XBE
  • XDKTracker.exe - shadow_tj's game-base tool (a bit stale)
Apart from those, we build a few other tools we also lack icons for - but having icons for these is not that important :
  • XISO.exe - XISO burn utility, not really part of the Dxbx suite
  • TranslationChecker.exe - internal tool keeping track of our Cxbx translation status
  • PatternTrieBuilder.exe - internal tool which constructs the binary blob we use in our symbol-detection
We're searching for a set of icons that share a common theme. I prefer the main color to be 'xbox green', and it would be nice if the icon somehow reflects the application's use : XBEExplorer could be indicated with an magnifying glass or something like that. The Dxbx main executable could perhaps be an 'X' (much like that seen on the console itself), etc.

Apart from the icons, I would also like to get a fresh new backdrop for the Dxbx main application and it's about dialog.
The backdrop must at least be 640x480 pixels (at 32 bit color), larger dimensions are allowed, but be aware it should still look good when resized back to 640x480.

A few notes about the backdrop :
We might one day add a game-list directly into Dxbx's main screen, so let yourself be inspired by this screenshot for example :

To make this work, the backdrop needs to support the following regions (all freely placeable, dimensions are related to the normal size of 640x480) :
  • A 128x128 region - for the selected game's icon
  • A 100x17 region - for the selected game's copyright logo (normally showing "Microsoft")
  • A optional region for showing the selected game title (font and size to be determined)
  • An optional region for showing the list of games (font and size to be determined, should show at least 5 titles)
Note, that these requirements might be updated at a later stage, but this should be safe for now.

The Dxbx about dialog should offer some space to scroll (or fully show) the contributers, credits, thanks, copyright & license notices. The size, color and font are all free to choose at your liking, but don't let the total resource cost for this exceed 512 KB, please.

Do note that any contribution must be usable for us, so please state the copyright and/or license-restrictions that are imposed on your contribution(s).
(If you need/want a financial compensation for this, please contact us for some arrangements before you start spending time on this.)

I'm looking forward to your contributions!

·
Never give up your dreams
181 Posts
I have made a icon for Dxbx and I have sent to shadow_tj (the design is like the attached image, this is not the icon by itself)... but it was a bit distorted when in the desktop. I'll try to make it again tonight... maybe I get right this time. :)

patrickvl said:
We might one day add a game-list directly into Dxbx's main screen
Nice to see that you have followed my suggestion... And your idea for the Dxbx's screen is better than I thought! Well, I'll be back tonight with an icon! :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made a icon for Dxbx and I have sent to shadow_tj (the design is like the attached image, this is not the icon by itself)... but it was a bit distorted when in the desktop. I'll try to make it again tonight... maybe I get right this time. :)
Thanks for your enthousiasm! But I wonder how this would look at the standard icon sizes : 16x16 and 32x32 pixels ... I suspect it won't look good, but you're welcome to prove me wrong ;-)

Nice to see that you have followed my suggestion... And your idea for the Dxbx's screen is better than I thought! Well, I'll be back tonight with an icon! :)
Yeah, although it feels like I'm working on all sides of xbox emulation at once:
  • symbol-detection is not fully correct yet (and we still lack SDK patterns)
  • we're not yet fully up-to-date in our translation of Cxbx code
  • (but getting there, slowly - see my review-commits on the Dxbx SVN)
  • for that code that is translated ,Dxbx runs much worse than Cxbx for some reason :(
  • I want to implement enough of the kernel so that a simple dashboard could work
  • XDVDFS iso support is only working in XBE explorer (not in actual emulation)
  • XBE Explorer lacks basic useability features (like 'Goto offset' in the disassembly view)
  • XBE Explorer should become file-system centered, instead of XBE-centered
  • XBE Explorer could use detailed viewers for many more file-types (.XPR files, for example)
  • I want to change the main view of Dxbx into a game-launcher interface
  • ... and this thing about icons & background images was bothering me a bit too, hence this request :innocent:
And the list goes on... and all this besides work, family- & social life is costing me way too much sleep already... oO

So, any help is appreciated, but please try to make it practical, concrete & readily applicable, so we don't need to spend too much further time on it (if you catch my drift). Cheers! :thumb:

·
181 Posts
Hi there patrickvl, here is the icon I have made (32x32). I have made other because the first one I have shown, as I said, it was distorted. See this one in the attached file. For me, now, it's better then the old one! ^^

PS: Sorry for the .zip file, but Emuforums sees the .ico file as an invalid file. :/

·
181 Posts
Hi there again, I have made another icon, but this time for XISO tool. Give a look and say what do you think! :thumb: I think I'll take the same idea to make the other icons for the other tools, of course, if you like this one... :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there again, I have made another icon, but this time for XISO tool. Give a look and say what do you think! :thumb: I think I'll take the same idea to make the other icons for the other tools, of course, if you like this one... :)
Cons : The I is a sticks a bit out below compared to the other two letters, and perhaps the lighting could be moved a bit, so that the highlighted part of the I doesn't touch the left border.

Pro : The black background combined with the green X makes it very recognizable indeed. The green X is nicely lit out, and has a good base color. The white overlay with black fade-out doesn't hide too much of the X, and is still readable (though barely) at 16x16.

Overal this is the style I was looking for, great work so far! I like this much better than the round DXBX logo you send before. :thumb:

For Dxbx itself, I don't think you should try to write "DXBX" full out, as at 16x16 it would just become a smear of pixels. Just a "D" could work, but please try some sort of glyph too, perhaps a chrome-colored chip (signifying the emulation-aspect) or whatever you think matches the theme. It would be great if you could come up with a theme, so every tool has it's own glyph (for XBEExplorer I can imagine a looking glass for example) but all sharing the same color-set and X backdrop.

PS: About the distinction between the GUI (Dxbx.exe) and the emulator itself (DxbxKrnl.DLL); There's no real need to make two icons - we could just reuse the GUI icon for the DLL.

Do you think you can also manage a larger backdrop for the main GUI and the about screen in this style?

Thanks so far already, cheers!

·
181 Posts
patrickvl said:
Cons : The I is a sticks a bit out below compared to the other two letters, and perhaps the lighting could be moved a bit, so that the highlighted part of the I doesn't touch the left border.
Yeah, I see now... it's just a optical illusion. I think it was made when I applied a plastic effect at the 'ISO' text. I'll try to make it better! :)

patrickvl said:
Pro : The black background combined with the green X makes it very recognizable indeed. The green X is nicely lit out, and has a good base color. The white overlay with black fade-out doesn't hide too much of the X, and is still readable (though barely) at 16x16.
That's the big problem... make it readable at 16x16... because if I make it at 32x32 it's going to be good at the desktop, but not at 16x16... and if I make it at 16x16 it's going to be distorted when in the desktop. I'll try to fix it ;)

patrickvl said:
For Dxbx itself, I don't think you should try to write "DXBX" full out, as at 16x16 it would just become a smear of pixels. Just a "D" could work, but please try some sort of glyph too, perhaps a chrome-colored chip (signifying the emulation-aspect) or whatever you think matches the theme.
It's funny, because when I made the first icon, I have put only the 'D', then shadow said it's better with the "DXBX" text, I made other with the Dxbx text, he said it was like tic-tac-toe, so I made another (the one that I have shown at my first reply). So I though: "Okay, it doesn't look good only with the 'D' and distorted with with the 'DXBX' text, I'll make one with an 'X' - of Xbox..." (and I did). And now you say that just a "D" could work... it's funny :p I made a green button with a gold contour and with a gold 'X' at the center, have you given a look at that? (Not only look at the preview image, but also save the file and test it? I wait for an answer).

patrickvl said:
It would be great if you could come up with a theme, so every tool has it's own glyph (for XBEExplorer I can imagine a looking glass for example) but all sharing the same color-set and X backdrop.
Could you explain it more detailed for me? Specially the XBEExplorer icon, I've liked the idea.

patrickvl said:
Do you think you can also manage a larger backdrop for the main GUI and the about screen in this style?
If you're talking about the style of the icons, I don't think it will look good, but if you're talking about the style of my signature, I think it could be used, mixing with other styles that appear at my mind :dead:. In case I have some idea, I show you... but if you have any idea, please, tell me, it could be useful! ;)

PS: Before I try to make the image for the Dxbx GUI, I'll finish the website. It's almost done :D Sorry for the time I'm spending to make it... it's because I tried to think in everyone. For example, the website has 3 kinds of designs:

• Original Design → This is good for good Internet connections, because of the images and stuff...
  • Simple Design → As the name says, the design is simple, just with the main information. This is good for bad internet connections.
  • Mobile Design → This page uses the simple of the simple design, it was made specially for mobile phones that have to pay for accessing the Internet.
The website also has two languages: Portuguese - Brazil & English - UK.

And other things... I'll stop here! (My reply is a little bit long, don't you think? huahuauhuha :p)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I didn't want to confuse you.

In my opinion, the green X on a black background should be used as a base template for all icons.
For each application, just put another white plastic text (or image) over that background, so it becomes a 'style' of some sorts.

However, putting 4 letters (Dxbx) over the X would not fit well in such a small icon, and a single D may look wierd. That's why I was thinking of an overlay glyph, like a white (or sillver) chip for the Dxbx icon, and a looking-glass for the XbeExplorer icon. But you might have some ideas yourself, so don't mind me, or let me hold you back. Just do what you like.

I assume you create larger version first and shrink them to 32x32 and 16x16 to see how it looks? If so, then perhaps a 640x480 version of the green-on-black X could be used as the base for the Dxbx GUI backdrop? Just a thought.

I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with! Good luck!

·
181 Posts
Humm... I think I understand now. This green 'X' on a black background is something like this, right?

I think this design as a template for some icons (not for all) would be good, and for the 'XBEExplorer' and 'Dxbx' the icon might be a bit different. And the looking-glass at the XBEExplorer icon, you mean it as a glass effect or a reflex effect at the icon? :idea:

patrickvl said:
I assume you create larger version first and shrink them to 32x32 and 16x16 to see how it looks? If so, then perhaps a 640x480 version of the green-on-black X could be used as the base for the Dxbx GUI backdrop? Just a thought.
I have never done it before, so I have a doubt: How am I going to make this backdrop? I mean... is it just make the design at 640x480 and send it to you? (Of course... following your requisites and your example) Or is there something special to do with the image?

These are my doubts until now... on Thursday night, I will come with some icons for the Dxbx project! :) I'm a bit busy studying for school tests this week. On Thursday I will be free again! :x3:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something like that, yeah. But this looks a lot like the official logo, which we obviously cannot use. (That, and I don't really like the 'crack-in-the-floor' effect.)

Your XISO icon has a very nice X, it has just the right color, it's spokes are under just the right angle, the thickness in the middle and the sharpness at the end look all just right to me - it almost seems like a thing carved out of jade, which combines great with the black background.

As for a looking glass - sorry for that, I should have written "magnifying glass", look here for example.

I imagine the chip could look like this (please discard my mock-up, it's rubbish) : View attachment 210385

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and one other thing : Normally, Delphi icons take the color of the top-left corner pixel, and make all other pixels of the same color transparent, which makes the black background completely disappear. Some ISO-tools can fix this (don't remember which), and otherwise just put a unique color (like purple or something)at the top-left pixel, so it won't make any other pixel transaparent. (Google for more details.) Cheers.

·
Registered
907 Posts
if i look at the logo i think its really the original xbox logo.the tm trademark symbols are at the right of the logo and text. this can and may not be used.

·
181 Posts
patrickvl said:
Oh, and one other thing : Normally, Delphi icons take the color of the top-left corner pixel, and make all other pixels of the same color transparent, which makes the black background completely disappear. Some ISO-tools can fix this (don't remember which), and otherwise just put a unique color (like purple or something)at the top-left pixel, so it won't make any other pixel transaparent. (Google for more details.) Cheers.
If I put a really dark gray at the top-left pixel, will it make the black pixels transparent? I think no, but I don't know if it will work for Delphi icons... :/

shadow_tj said:
if i look at the logo i think its really the original xbox logo.the tm trademark symbols are at the right of the logo and text. this can and may not be used.
Ehh... I have based my icons on the Microsoft logos... but I didn't take anything from the Microsoft logos... just the idea... and I made it by myself! Is there any problem by doing that?? If so, this website here is incorrect too... (look at the logo of the website) I don't like to compare things... :( but if there is any problem with my idea... don't you think that Dxbx is incorrect too? Because when it loads a game is shown the game's copyright logo (Microsoft)... Anyway, I think there isn't any problem if you look for something and have a idea that is similar, not the same thing...

·
181 Posts
After look at it for about 4 hours :)p)... I think if I make the gold square bigger than the this one above, it would be better... don't you think?

But see if this one I have shown is the style that you were talking about... :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there Joao, thanks for all the time you're putting in this - watch out it doesn't interfere with more important things! ;)

About your last icon :

The chip idea seems to work, although I don't know if gold is the color we should use. But more importantly : where did the green X go? :???:
I was hoping you'd keep the X, and just put a simple abstract chip image over it in the same "white plastic" color as you used for the 'ISO' icon.
Either that or the letter 'D', but still keeping the jade-green X as a background, which could be the common factor between all icons (and the new Dxbx GUI background image).

If you don't agree with that idea, or have a better one, please tell - I don't want to add too much confusion! :innocent:

·
181 Posts
patrickvl said:
The chip idea seems to work, although I don't know if gold is the color we should use. But more importantly : where did the green X go?
Oh sorry, I think I mixed the things... I thought you wanted the 'D' for the Dxbx icon and for the tools icons, the 'X'. I'll correct it tonight! :D

patrickvl said:
I was hoping you'd keep the X, and just put a simple abstract chip image over it in the same "white plastic" color as you used for the 'ISO' icon.
Either that or the letter 'D', but still keeping the jade-green X as a background, which could be the common factor between all icons (and the new Dxbx GUI background image).
I do understand now. Tonight, I'll come with some icons! :) I'd like to do it now... but I'm busy studying for the last test of this week... :(

patrickvl said:
If you don't agree with that idea, or have a better one, please tell - I don't want to add too much confusion!
You're not adding any confusion. :) I don't get stressed or angry because you're saying what you prefer for the icon. ;) So, don't hold yourself case you don't like something in the icon! :)

·
181 Posts
PatrickVL... this one is better? I have made one with the jade "X" in the background and a plastic chip over it... but the design was a bit poor... I think put the jade "X" over the coloured chip is better... Ok, I'm posting here the two design of the icons... than you can see the big difference. I think the jade "X" stays good over the gold color.

I think the Dxbx icon has to be different from the others, this will highlight the program as the principal... this is what I do think, tell your opinion :)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts