Next Generation Emulation banner

A Wiki NOW for ngemu : YES / NO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I don´t know very much people from the emuforums but those small i had talk to were very nice people!
I think ngemu is about emulation on the PC.
As a matter of fact the forums can be used to discuss various things BUT there are great problems with forums:
some one in 2004 aks:
How to play FF7 with ePSXE?
the question was answerde etc...
In 2005 someone has exactly same prob. sOOOO my questions to u admins/ sideowners,
What will he do use the search function or create a new thread?
Of Course its ok to post such a soulution again but... if u ´ll look close at it this is the reason for the emuscene going "slow"...
NGEMU could be THE first place which will engange a new developement.

So some people might be scared or still sainy (crazy chick) but i try not to talk much and still make sense and thats damn hard believe me

What do we need:
1.Webspace / Webserver
Webspace / Webserver which can host a wiki ( a BIIIG wiki expect it to grow VERY fast and into large dimensions > 4 GB)
i dont know if Bobbys ngemu can handle such expectations if not we need to find a solution.

once first step is achvied we ned a notice here
2.The Wiki
We need Wiki SW, I think we got a bunch of cool Webdesigners here at NGEMU which can tell us were to get fast a wiki and how to install "easily"

3.Everythiung is useless without..
the people! Thank god emuforums has such an incredebile Community!
Which means we got a lot of knowledge , on the other hand we have here very day LOTS of people who SEEK the knowledge , we need to giude them!
(like in here! --> http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65566)
I still haven´t said a word what 3. is so i might start now
:
The Wiki MUST NOT BE a Usuall Wiki or it will end up in TOO much caos.
The Topics of the wiki are only , ONLY to be create by admins of the forums HERE. This might look like a problem but it isn´t
I hope The Webdesigners from 2. can implement such a role based acces scheme, its esseantial for the project to work.
Now the poor admins might thing they will be ever slaves to the never stoping asking ones.
The conclusion is: no!
Once a day or once a week, the develeopement has not to be fast, in fact as slow as possible IS the better way.
I have in mind a follwoing Process:
Here at emuforums there will be a new forum were every one can request a new topic at the wiki . if at least 3 mods or 35 normal users do agree in the request thread the topic is created.
What do u think?
So we got the wiki and the topics, now comes the very hard part u have to force new and old users into the wiki.
If u show them , them ALL with countless patience ^^° how to use it , this whole project will be the next big thoing of the emu scene.

So which people do we need?
We need all people of ngemu but furthermore those which realy DO something .
I sugesset some people here which could help a lot:
first and very important:
for moral support and good mood for project:
cloudvii
for 1 and 2 Tasks:
Kirby ( we need u and all others to get things going!!!)
FLaRe85
generalplot,
zenogais ( Hello )
Elly ( hi ^^)
Reichf.
Vanit
There are tons of more people like:
ckemu, refraction a.s.o....
i know ur all part of the community plz help to make this important stept came true!
For the general overview of the project i would like to see the "very" busy people( but they are the best when it comes to functional projects):
bobby & Keith

What posts do i expect here after?

In fact i would here from keith and bobby a YES or NO , because if they don´t want to start ... every further discussion would be senseless. So i hope there is a future for this project.
I finished eating dinner and came up with some otherthings.
every interrested user should vote in here if he thinks a wiki is a cool idea. And yes i have vote for "yes" ^^°.

wbr Shin Gouki

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I actually think thats a great idea. It shouldnt be an open wiki like you said, but im sure the mods we have for each section could help fill in areas of their expertise. It would reduce the amount of stickies we have in each forum, and gives a place where people dont exactly have to tread and search through billions of threads to find their answers.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,225 Posts
I saw that I was mentioned in the first post and actually the people over at Emulation64 are working on a wiki right now for emulation. When the sites emufanatics, emutastic, emuhelp and emulation64 merged the guys (Derek and Jakob) who ran emuhelp decided to turn the domain www.emuhelp.com into a emulation information and support wiki to go along with the domain name. Not sure on the actual date it will be ready but it is being worked on.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith and all others thx for reply!
Keith ur saing its "WIP" which person from emutalk or in which thread the organisation of the wiki is discused? or do u use email or IRC?
In which way i may contact the creators of the wiki?
Would be nice if u could help :)
wbr Shin Gouki

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
For the general wiki idea, very good idea. Smartest thing I heard all year :3

I wouldn't mind an open wiki if there was a auto-backup of each entry created after every change (just in case some ****ing d***face c***sucker feels like ****ing around with the ****ing work all these nice members created :) )

why a checkbox poll?? :p

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Kirby said:
For the general wiki idea, very good idea. Smartest thing I heard all year :3

I wouldn't mind an open wiki if there was a auto-backup of each entry created after every change (just in case some ****ing d***face c***sucker feels like ****ing around with the ****ing work all these nice members created :) )

why a checkbox poll?? :p
Read the post n00b :p, its been stated it wouldnt be an open wiki. Only well known members and ngemu staff etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the idea.....More divisions....people can look in a specific place instead of a more general area where anyone can post anything. We should still have regular forums for noobs/anyone else who wants to be here. I agree that the wiki should be for admins/well known members of ngemu. We dont want noobs there. I have some web design experience and I am also studying some 3D animation/modeling. 3D has a lot to do with photoshop so I can try to help with web design if I can. If this passes....then let me know if I can help any.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very first : thx @ all again which read the posts and want to help :)
gotmilk, cloudvii stand ready! as soon as we get a web server things will get movin!!
in fact we need ur help because a single human beeing can not do it alone.

I would like to see zanogais here we would need his web skills heavily...

i need to talk with someone who can organize 1 & 2 ( look first Post)
The idea is like that:
the TOPICS from the wiki are ONLY created by staff members, the content itself is "open" like in "usual" wikis. I know its not the perfect solution but its "easy" to implement and a bit better to maintain then a usual wiki.
Also we can and have to HEAVILY use the emuforums membership classification.

A very brief outline for the Content generation once we have a wiki technically:
1 week to create topics ( so nobody should be in a hurry :) )
2 weeks for emuathors & staff members to write "articles" about their specific topic
as u see i use the word "emuathor" those are all from emuforums which gained this title.
(not all will help, not all will have time , but those who have will do the job ;) )
so after 3 weeks the "usual" user is able not only to read but to write quesation is were?
-->
I have something in mind like once a article from a emuathor or staff is posted at the end of the article there is a link to a input field with (this field will be dynamic):
* 1 A Poll do u like the article : YES / NO
if a user has cliked on
==> YES
there comes an other option field were he is able to write WHY he did like it.
==> NO
there comes an other option field were he is able to write WHY he didm´t like it.

at the very end this user comment is send.
Every single of these comments has a rating value or to be more specific:
as a "normal" user u are able to vote for every single entry of an article.
The options are:
*Usefull
*notusefull
If one of the comments reaches on either points more then .. uhm.. lets say: 150 may be 75.. something like that.
The comment becomes topic in the "Monthly" disscusion round of the article.
The disscusion round works like that:
In a forum ( hello emuforums :) )
there a Thread/poll is created were the comment is posted. now for 3 days every one is able to write Pros / cons and to vote : pro / con.
After 3 days the author of the article or a staff member decides weather the information of the comment is usefull or not; based upon poll results .
So after 1 month and 3 days the topic is updated or not.

As u might noticed a usual wiki does not have all options(at least not by default) like mentioned above.
Thats why we need clever 2 ( see first post) like zenogais which are into web technologys or know how to modify them then we can use them as we need to.

Kirby what do u think? should this wiki only be ngemu? or should those ideas merge with emutalk .a.so. like KEith mentioned above?

I dont want to discuss here soooOOO long ^^°
If someone has a strong server lets build this wiki :)

wbr Shin Gouki

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i am from germany so plz excuse this site tp be german but i think the conditions are very cool:
http://www.golem.de/0509/40668.html
amd64 CPU
4GB RAM
500 GB diskspace
thats normal but the interesting thins is:
once u broke thorugh the 1000 GByte per month limit they WON´t turn u down
in fact they simply will reduce bandwidth from 100 Mbit to 10 Mbit.
I think THATs gonna rock? :D
Which means in theory u have limitless traffic on 10 Mbit for 200€ per month :D

What do u think? now we "just" need 200€ per moth ^_~.
wbr Shin Gouki

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,225 Posts
Shin_Gouki said:
Keith and all others thx for reply!
Keith ur saing its "WIP" which person from emutalk or in which thread the organisation of the wiki is discused? or do u use email or IRC?
In which way i may contact the creators of the wiki?
Would be nice if u could help :)
wbr Shin Gouki
The emulation wiki for the Emulation64 Network is being setup privately by the admins and moderators over at EmuTalk. We currently do not have any open discussions about it right now. Once it is public we plan to have it completely open to the public to add content with our own moderation. We believe it should be a controlled enviroment but we also feel everyone should have the ability to participate.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Keith , thx for taking ur time to reply!
As i tried to explain in my post above (#12)
ur saying: " open to the public to add content with our own moderation."
I have thought a lot about this , and i also discussed alot with the people who build the wikipedia and i think some of my ideas (which are infact NOT only my ideas ^^°)
are not only usefull for a wiki but really necessary for the wiki to grow and to exist(as a matter of fact systems which don´t scale die very fast so systems which are not being used die even faster(is that the reason why the emutalk2003 wiki died?==>
http://www.emutalk.net/emu64-news/17585-wiki-emulation.html?highlight=wiki
)).

Again quote:
"We believe it should be a controlled enviroment but we also feel everyone should have the ability to participate."
I fully understand that u don´t have the time to read through post #12 fully. But if u believe me i can assure u that ur requirements which u stated out at ur post (#14) are beeing fully FULLY supported by the concept i depicted in #12.
All i want is to help to build a emulation wiki, i hope this is possible.

Keith do u think it is possible that maybe i am able to join the <<Emulatation64 - wiki>> Team?
I really would like to! Please lets discuss the pros/cons about that, or if u to tired to do it here, guide me to a conversation were we can discuss things relaxed(IRC,email?,emutalk thread??).

wbr Shin Gouki

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.