Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
*shrug*
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm going to be buying a new motherboard in the next few days, but I think I heard somewhere that software problems come up when you remove the old one and keep your old OS on the HD - still configured for the old motherboard.

So what do you think? Should I start fresh with a reinstalled WinXP once I get the new mobo in?, or just take my chances and hope that nothing screws up with my current installation?

Cheers,
Criftus
[email protected]

·
Registered
331 Posts
whenever i changed mobo's (when i switched to my abit ai7) i just did a clean install of windows just to be safe, since as we all know, you can never be too safe.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Well, I had replaced a motherboard recently for my friend and it fail to boot up to Windows XP. I had to do a clean installation to get it running.

·
*shrug*
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the majority and clean boot it. I was leaning that way, but was kind of hoping I could avoid going through all the tweaking that I'll have to do once I get the fresh copy of WinXP running again. =P

Another question that might help me out if anyone can answer it. Anyone know of a good NTFS DOS boot program (freeware preferably)? Both my HDs are NTFS and can't be read by typical boot disks. =D

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
Player-X said:
just uninstall the drivers and you shoud be fine
if your going from VIA to Nvidia chipset u may have some problems. it may give u a BSOD since via and nvidia chipset drivers don't like each other.

it be best to format. Backup your stuff b4 u install the new mobo.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Driver cleaner+safe mode+manual registry cleaning anyone?

I had a VIA K400 in this case before I switched to a NForce2 I didn't reformat anything during the upgrade and it worked fine,Although I do one every 6 months to clean up the system

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
I couldn't even replace my mobo with another one of the same type without WinXP screaming at me. Sure you mihgt manage it, but I'd far rather to re-insall.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I agree with Kane on this one. Whenever I try to install new hardware especially motherboards on customer machines, it will be a miracle for it to come back up and running hassle free. Usually changing the chipset is enough to upset Windows to the point that it wont even load Windows.

Best course, backup -> format -> re-install clean Windows. This has the best benefits with the least of problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts