Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We remember those early Street Fighter II arcade days when gamers would crowd around the arcade cabinet to watch two gamer gladiators laying the smacketh down on one another. If you thought you had what it takes to beat out the last man standing, you would place a quarter on the cabinet to symbolize you as the next challenger.

We remember being the king of the hill. The one to beat! A glance at the notch between the cabinet monitor and controls would have several quarters lined up with would be challengers. We remember all the trash talk and the "OOhs Ahhhs and DAAAMMMNs".. Those were indeed the days.....

It looks like those wonderful days of yore will return....

While no price tag was announced, Capcom has confirmed that Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting (known in the arcades as Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting) will become available over the Xbox Live Marketplace, with a number of new features (including online play) sometime in early 2006. In addition to the Xbox Live standard quick match and optimatch, Hyper Fighting will include a new quarter match option.

Intended to replicate the arcade experience, quarter matches will let two players duke it out while a group of spectators wait for their own chance to dethrone the reigning champ--similar to the online mode of the Xbox 360's only fighting game so far, Dead or Alive 4. Just as in the arcades, onlookers will be able to watch the brawls while they wait their turn, trash-talking the fighters or discussing strategy. Players' "quarters" will be used to represent their spot in line.

Before entering a quarter match, players will be able to choose ranked or unranked matches to determine whether or not stats will be tracked for the Xbox Live leaderboards. Beyond the somewhat common all-time and monthly leaderboards, Hyper Fighting will include rankings broken down by character, as well as a board for the most consecutive wins.

Capcom is also promising more than 10 online and offline achievements to reward players for meeting certain tasks, and a "feature limited" demo version will allow gamers to play single matches with two playable characters
We are still not interested in X360, but we are happy with this online concept being introduced ;)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
dude, that's sweet!

and it's also really sad that the only good games on Xbox360 are the ones that you can buy on xbox live (the only games i enjoy for 360 are geometry wars, smash TV, and that billiards game)

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
Neat.

I remember way back when, I had to have my brother queue for me because they didn't believe a girl would play those things and would point me to the UFO catcher doll thingies :rolleyes:

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,588 Posts
Ah man don't get me started about Street Fighter and how much I love the series ;D.. still it won't make me buy a 360.. I'd be happy if they'd get up their lazy asses and give the sony (next gen) console online play. :(

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
really samor? we have tons of arcades here, and the behaivor still persists. i used to play a lot of Initial D, and to challenge someone, you put your card in little groove at hte top of the machine. good times

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Celine said:
Neat.

I remember way back when, I had to have my brother queue for me because they didn't believe a girl would play those things and would point me to the UFO catcher doll thingies :rolleyes:
Hmmm, my girlfriend likes Super Street Fighter 2, Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2, Soul Cailbur, etc...

I traded her a Street Fighter Alpha 3 for a Street Fighter III 3rd strike, because it used the traditional characters she liked, and she has a Gameboy Advance SP, Dreamcast, Playstation, Super Nintendo, and a Sega Genesis...She doesn't like games as much as me, but she enjoys playing 'em...

And yeah, she beats me on a few games...
:cuss2: :emb:

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Samor said:
yes, but isn't that IN the arcades? Or do you mean old xbox live?

...as for arcades themselves, they've died out in NL for years (sob).
I think is was in November of 2004 when I went to Scheveningen with my class, and they still have an arcade over there. I couldn't resist going in and I was in awe: F355 Challenge (the 3 screen version), House of the Dead 2 and other games that were later ported to DC :wub:

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
hushypushy said:
really samor? we have tons of arcades here, and the behaivor still persists. i used to play a lot of Initial D, and to challenge someone, you put your card in little groove at hte top of the machine. good times
Here too. Whether it's using old fashioned tokens or smart cards, the king-of-the-hill matchups are still alive.

Cool concept though. It reall is something to be able to do that.

@Celine: I used to think so too. Until a friend beat me in Bloody Roar and my sister outshoots me in House of the Dead 3/4

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Whow, guess what, later this month I will be buliding a Arcade Gaming Pad for my pc! I will post pics and all! ummm ya this has basicly nothing to do with this thread....

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Kraelis said:
@Celine: I used to think so too. Until a friend beat me in Bloody Roar and my sister outshoots me in House of the Dead 3/4
it's true, girls can kick ass :p i took this girl to the arcade, we played 2 player Time Crisis 3, yeah she was still going way after me

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
I truly miss those arcade days. There aren't that many arcades around here anymore either...only one that's about 45 mins away by car and that arcade isn't all that great anymore (really expensive too).

This quarter match feature does sound interesting...but I dunno...I'm oldschool and would rather draw the crowd at an arcade instead of online... :p

Btw, it wouldn't feel right playing SF2 on an Xbox controller. They'd have to release an arcade joystick with authentic arcade buttons. That would kick ass.

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snake785 said:
I truly miss those arcade days. There aren't that many arcades around here anymore either...only one that's about 45 mins away by car and that arcade isn't all that great anymore (really expensive too).

This quarter match feature does sound interesting...but I dunno...I'm oldschool and would rather draw the crowd at an arcade instead of online... :p

Btw, it wouldn't feel right playing SF2 on an Xbox controller. They'd have to release an arcade joystick with authentic arcade buttons. That would kick ass.
Hmm..they do have that Arcade Pro stick for the PS2...then use one of those controller adaptors. That might do it.

There is an arcade 5 minutes from us...called Nickel City (Thanks Capcom!). We may go there this weekend for a fix ;)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
nickel city where?!!? they closed down all the nickel cities near me a long long time ago...i used to go to the one on Capital and Silver Creek :/

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
you know what, i was actually thinking of that exact one when you mentioned it. that's the only one that i was unsure of. my friend lives less than a mile away from there, and you can see it right as you get off 85, too bad i didnt bother to look last time i was there (last week, incidentally)

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
hushypushy said:
nickel city where?!!? they closed down all the nickel cities near me a long long time ago...i used to go to the one on Capital and Silver Creek :/
nickel city? Is that anything like my local Nickel Nickel?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.