Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERYONE needs to watch this documentary. Bill Maher at his finest. :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I laughed so hard while watching that movie :3

Especially the guy who had people believe he was in the same blood line as Jesus so people were giving him money and he preaches himself as the second coming of christ.

I lol'd hard at the mobile church for truckers at the beginning too.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
No jesu?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Especially the guy who had people believe he was in the same blood line as Jesus so people were giving him money and he preaches himself as the second coming of christ.

I lol'd hard at the mobile church for truckers at the beginning too.
Oh I know, it's hard to fathom that such ****ing retards coexist with us who have half of a brain and a basic sense of logic. I was raised strict Presbyterian Christian from birth, and I've always deviated completely from it, so I think there's an element of one's ability to reason that affects what we believe, rather than it purely being how we were raised. As John Adams said about the USA, "This would be the best of all worlds if there were no religion in it!" How ironic that most of the populous believes that our country's founders were somehow devout Christians, which in turn creates the fallacy that Christianity is American and that we're somehow god's "messengers." What a ****ed up world we live in. :lol:

For the record, I'm not anti-creationist, I'm just anti-religion. Religion is of man, and man and his ideas are ultimately flawed. Religion's probably the best example of flawed ideas; it exists to pacify humanity's nature to obsess on things, in particular, purpose; it's the downfall of our otherwise incredible complexity.

Could keep going, but as with any other religion debate, I'm not going to get anywhere. Speaking of which, I've probably already started an online holy war. :D

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
Before anyone says anything, i will not be joining this thread and debating religion :)

I have the movie now, but i havent watched it yet. Im waiting till i have to take the train back home, where ill have and hour to watch most of it and the rest on the way back.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, both the OP AND the video misspelled RELIGULOUS.

Anyway, yeah. Religulous was pretty awesome. Maher didn't pull any punches in the interest of remainging PC. Major kudos to him.
Haha, didn't catch that. :p

Oh, and you misspelled REMAINING. ;)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Unfortunately. Never pictured myself starting one, but in retrospect it's bound to happen. :(

Oh well. After watching Religulous, I'm convinced everyone needs to at least be aware of it, regardless of what this thread ends up becoming, so that's a something I'm willing to bear. I've never seen such a documentary handled as objectively as Maher presents his beliefs, so effective that most of his interviewees were left speechless or end up completely contradicting themselves. :D

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
*head desk* Here we go again!

But this time, I won't be having any of it! You can believe in whatever you want to, and I'll stick to whatever I want to believe. Case closed.

Originally posted by Spyhop
You know this thread is going to turn into a big religion debate again eh?
No way! I have MUCH better things to do then to go around writing essay length replies to online forum threads :p

Originally posted by Spyhop
You know this thread is going to turn into a big religion debate again eh?
No way! I have MUCH better things to do then to go around writing essay length replies to online forum threads :p

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Brilliant film. Smart man... Uses a very effective way of arguing.

Brings out a lot of good, logical points.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
*head desk* Here we go again!

But this time, I won't be having any of it! You can believe in whatever you want to, and I'll stick to whatever I want to believe. Case closed.

Yes, because you are indeed the only person that visits this forum. If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have responded at all. No one really cares that you "won't be having any of it". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Man, when I read the heading I thought some 12 year old made this topic.

BTW not that I'm one for censorship, but how come people in this section can say (or seem to) what they want about religion but there's a rule against it in the bin FAQ?

Seems kinda backwards.

Q: *But I've got a funny joke about black/white/yellow/blue people| religion, I really can't tell it here?

A: No. We never know what outside people will think about your post. We know your intentions weren't bad, but you know how people act.
And don't any of you DARE insult my flying spaghetti monster.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I like spaghetti. And this movie sounds epic to me, thanks for pointing it out, I'll get my hands on it soon enough :)

As for the bin rule, I don't know how and why, since I wasn't part of staff back then, but I think it's because in Open Discussion people know that any flamebait will be dealt with appropriately, but in the Bin, it's rather normal for people to be blunt at each other.

Edit: Oh and I just read at Wikipedia that it has an interview with Dutch Geert Wilders in it as well. Now it's a must see, even if it's just for his hairdo :p He's a top movie director as well.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
I must see this film, I crave any sort of documentary that doesn't pull any punches and is particularly un-PC. I get so tired of bias or conformity in film, seeing someone stick to his guns sounds awesome.

Oh, I thought it was time for NGEmu Religious debate Smack-Down XXIV. :(
Unfortunately that will only be on PPV this Sunday at 8:00 EST.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've been meaning to watch this movie. I should get right on that.

Oh, I thought it was time for NGEmu Religious debate Smack-Down XXIV. :(
You know... I've been thinking about this for a while.

Is anyone interested in a debate/discussion board? As long as moderation is good, the board can be kept civil. I think it would be fun.

You guys think another thread should be made suggesting this, or is it fruitless?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts