Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to know that whether its possible for me to have an increase in perfomance if i use an open gl plugin of pete's with my vodoo 3 2000 agp ..... if not what exactly would be the the normal fps if i use this plugin with this card... thanksssssss

S

·
0 Posts
You're taking a chance using Pete's OGL plugin w/a Voodoo card. Lewpy's plugin works best w/Voodoo cards. With Lewpy's you should be able to get 60 FPS in most games. Pete's OGL and D3D plugins are best suited to Nvidia based cards, like mine. I use Pete's OGL plugin vers. 1.49 and I consistantly get 60 FPS in every game.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
There is nothing wrong in trying the petes plugin on a Voodoo....!
I think U should give it a try,Direct 3d are fast but Opengls are very slow on Voodoo.......!

Actually the reason sxamiga U are getting consistently 60 fps are beacuse your system is very fast................!

Ali
M.L.A

S

·
0 Posts
I will agree that that may be part of it. But, other people w/much slower systems get the same results as I do when using OGL w/Pete's plugins and Voodoo w/Lewpy's plugins.
Yes, my system is fast, I have an Athlon 1.2ghz T-Bird processor.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well liaqat i agree its pretty slow i mean the open gl.. as for the system specs i own a intel sever based board with dual processor support ..running on win 2000 .. two processors installed ..each processor speed is 550 mhz and 256 mb of ram.. vodoo 3 2000 agp---> im about to get rid of it soon .... but just wanted to know whether there is some way in which i can acheive 60fps with petes open gl... and hey sxamiga thanks for the info , i appreciate your insight on the matter

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Because 3DFX's cards do not have full support for OpenGL, there is no way to really get good performance with it (at least in comparison to Glide or even D3D). Either go with Lewpy's plugin or Pete's D3D plugin for the best results.

·
Registered
216 Posts
OpenGL is slow on Voodoo cards because their OpenGL drivers suck. 3dfx never created a proper OpenGL ICD. Direct 3D and Glide is much faster on a Voodoo card. OpenGL is faster when using a MiniGL driver. Many games support this. I believe Wicked 3D is the best. 3dfx had no decent hardware features so just before 3dfx died they brought out Guardband Clipping, which effectively reduces the amount of clipping calculations performed by the CPU. Also Hidden Surface Removal aka HSR. This was to determine what should be rendered and what not to be rendered (off-screen drawing). This I am aware only worked with one game, Quake III and worked quite well. There are many defects though like seeing through walls, because it was in early revision.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
actually, d3d and opengl are comparable on my voodoo 5 5500 agp..... d3d is faster but opengl is fast too..... Suprising how good the opengl icd has gotten...... I use to only get about 20 to 30 fps with opengl.........Now i am getting 60+ fps...... I am using all the latest whql drivers......

S

·
0 Posts
Very good point fivefeet8, it is important to use the the best and lastest drivers to ensure best performance. Randy Linden, the programmer of bleem!, stated this often and many people found that when they upgraded their dirvers, the emulators performance went up as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts