Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red Hat Sues Switzerland Over Microsoft Monopoly - News - eWeekEurope.co.uk

The Red Hat group has asked a Swiss federal court to overturn a three-year contract issued to Microsoft by the Swiss Federal Bureau for Building and Logistics, to provide Windows desktops and applications, with support and maintenance, for 14 million Swiss Franc (£8 million) each year. The contract, for "standardised workstations", was issued with no public bidding process, Red Hat's legal team reports in a blog - because the Swiss agency asserted there was no sufficient alternative to Microsoft products.

"It's not just Switzerland who have been getting away with this kind of nonsense," said Mark Taylor of the UK-based Open Source Consortium, adding that much of the credit for this action should go to the Free Software Foundation Europe, led by Georg Greve.

"All over Europe this kind of thing is happening, and in the UK almost all public sector tenders that we see actually *specify* Microsoft products," said Taylor. "Even those that don't will normally insist that the tendered for technology ties in with specific Microsoft products. I cannot imagine any other area of Government procurement where this practice would be allowed."

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Red Hat officials need to get their act together if they're going to express displeasure over how widespread use of Microsoft products is. The next thing you know, they'll ask the parliament to cease using Ubuntu.

Whether the requirements were published publiscly or implied, Red Hat's and other vendors' didnt fulfill the requirements for that deployment (the point is not in the requirements themselves, but how the unstated ones specifically 'disqualified' these vendors).

Instead of attacking small targets to try making a point, RedHat and others better lobby for more support for opensource and defend that model. Not that much has been done on the higher levels to encourage use of opensource solutions or why they should be recommended.

Suing those you want to talk sense into is not the way, but hey, even RedHat and company will learn that someday.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
According to the article, that's not really their argument

Governments are tacitly accepting Microsoft's monopoly on their ICT systems, said Taylor, despite public statements such as the UK's recent announcement that it could save £600 million a year with open source said Taylor: "The cost is phenomenal," he added, with Government spending billions a year on proprietary systems. "It is a scandal and a waste of public money that makes the MPs expenses scandal look like a drop in the ocean, and yet hardly anyone talks about it!"
I don't really know how it work over Europe, or more specifically over Switzerland, but normally goverment officials can't just assume that there just isn't enough competition a forgo a proper call for participation for a certain offer of service altogether.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
According to the article, that's not really their argument

I don't really know how it work over Europe, or more specifically over Switzerland, but normally goverment officials can't just assume that there just isn't enough competition a forgo a proper call for participation for a certain offer of service altogether.
Well, politicians are usually lazy bums who just sit around and press a button that says either "yes" or a button that says "no"... or well, sometimes they just sit around. If they see a fast way to get out of something as long as it has nothing to do with them personally, like salaries or taxes they just don't give a s**t and take the easiest way out. Or at least that's how I see my countrys politics... Yes I know, I have a sad view of it but world sucks, what can you do?

...And I'm not emo!:mad:

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well, politicians are usually lazy bums who just sit around and press a button that says either "yes" or a button that says "no"... or well, sometimes they just sit around. If they see a fast way to get out of something as long as it has nothing to do with them personally, like salaries or taxes they just don't give a s**t and take the easiest way out. Or at least that's how I see my countrys politics... Yes I know, I have a sad view of it but world sucks, what can you do?

...And I'm not emo!:mad:
Thats pretty much my opinion as well at least for the politicians here, there lazy and sometimes refuse to use there brains for sure when using the PC, after all i know i installed to some of them there windows :lol:, also guess who they call for for support ? i cant remember how many times i got called for "how do i burn a dvd" :lol: (nero shortcut on desktop)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Well maybe if there weren't so many distro's out there with so many different ways of installing packages, maybe if there was a standardization project were the developers of the major distros would agree on what has to be standart, it would be easier for other than power users to adopt open source. People complain about windows having so many flavours lately now imgine how many distros are out there with different GUI's (KDE, Gnome,...).
They have to come together or they will never surpass the power user level.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Well maybe if there weren't so many distro's out there with so many different ways of installing packages, maybe if there was a standardization project were the developers of the major distros would agree on what has to be standart, it would be easier for other than power users to adopt open source. People complain about windows having so many flavours lately now imgine how many distros are out there with different GUI's (KDE, Gnome,...).
They have to come together or they will never surpass the power user level.
That's why I never got into Linux.
Me: "Oh, this program for linux looks nice..... awwh, it's compiled for SuSE but I'm using Ubuntu"
Linux Guru: "Oh, just recompile the program and...."
Me: "Yeah, I have better things to do."
*Deletes Linux Partition*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.