Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are wondering if it is the Recycle bin that deletes files then yes it is that one that comes with your windows.

For some reason, I am unable of use the recycle bin as of today. This means that yesterday, it was working fine.

All of a sudden when ever I try to access my Recycle bin, it would freeze the explorer completely. Pressing restart was the only option. All apps run fine so far. Right now I am using windowsXP and just to let you know, I used spybot and got rid of over 20 spywares. Internet explorer is also messed up and rendered absolutley useless by spyware. Now I am using mozilla which seems far more stable than that internet explorer.

Right now I need to get rid of 1 GB of garbage!! But nope, one click of the Recycle bin then it is game over, windowsXP crashes.

Must I reformat?

·
Registered
858 Posts
download aston shell, its replaces explorer.exe ithink try it :D

www.astonshell.com

Aston - a new Desktop manager and Shell replacement for Windows 9x/Me/NT/2K/XP.
Aston fully replaces the standard Windows Desktop and delivers a host of new features. It's nice and easy to work on a computer with Aston installed. Aston doesn't require a powerful expensive machine. With Aston your system is much more stable. It has a small footprint in RAM and uses few processor resources yielding higher performance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way to delete the files in the recycling bin? What folder might these files be in? Are the files in recycling bin erasable on command prompt/dos?? Right now I just want to clear up that 1GB of stuff that is stuck in the recycling bin without actually having to click on the recycling bin icon/executable.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Just use XP's system restore to go back a day or two...that will probably fix it

edit: I just looked at Astonshells website...it looks pretty interesting. Has anybody else tried this program?

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
I did some time ago... its pretty interesting for a change... the problem is that its shareware

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
Try this:

In windows explorer make sure you have "show all files" and "Hide protected Operating System Files" unchecked (in Tools > Folder Options > View Tab). Now go to your drive where windows is installed (probably C) then you might see a folder called "RECYCLER" go in there. Now you might be able to delete those files.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mecharmor25 said:
Is there a way to delete the files in the recycling bin? What folder might these files be in? Are the files in recycling bin erasable on command prompt/dos?? Right now I just want to clear up that 1GB of stuff that is stuck in the recycling bin without actually having to click on the recycling bin icon/executable.
Can't you just open the My Documents folder and type "Recycle Bin" in the address bar?

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Just to let you all know. Spybot contains spyware. Use any other ad detection software (ex: adaware) and it will detect it as spyware and remove it... lol. As for your recycling bin, try deleting it. No I'm serious see if that works otherwise you may have a virus and/or spybot.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
hmm
I had adaware and spybot a while ago, and they did not accuse each other of being a spyware :p
where did you get your copy of spybot? heheh...

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
From the original spybot site, it was a trial. Check other forums it will tell you.

·
Registered
900 Posts
search for a little freeware app called cwshedder. I've used it a number of times on peoples systems after they got browser hijackers. it might help out but its one of those use at your own risk programs. it removes alot of stuff spybot wont.

you might just have damage from a virus that caused some of those things. another way you might be able to delete some garbage is if you can go to properties and lower the size of the recycle bin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts