Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got a problem... I've burnt lots of datas on Traxdata CDRs months (and years) ago, now, all the CDRs I got from a certain package start to rot.
Few are still readable with slowdowns, most now have bad sectors.
I did all I could to prevent scratches and all accidental damage,
so the discs are physically intact on the outside. Is there any way to recover the data on rotten CDs? (a trick like toothpaste on scratched ones).

Also, someone gave me a dozen of Memorex DVD-R 8x... I heard somewhere
that recents medias sold by this brand are crappy too, is that true?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>> the dirty method is backing them up with error skipping, but then you'll be uncertain if any important data's damaged.

Yeah, I thought about it, but keeping bad sectors in Divx and ISO files isn't too cool...

>> OT: nice avatar ...I heard cloudvii likes it

Hehe, and I'll keep it as long as he'll tell me to remove it ^^
I like the 2nd version of your Marya (Mary+Daria) :D

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine burn very well, I burnt them about 1 or 2 months ago and Nero CD speed's scandisk utility still shows 100% readable, though I'm wondering for how long it will be 100%.

ATM I'm trying to backup stuff, but I get lots of CRC errors :(

EDIT: if your Memorex DVDs don't work, try updating your burner firmware, it can help a lot. Some medias don't work at all until you flash the firmware, and after that they work perfect

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
That's a limitation of gel-based media. Sooner or later it will rot and become unreadable. Once that layer's been compromised, there's no going back. If the data is truly critical, you could backup by doing some hamming, but you get nowhere near the same amount of space on the disc (hamming rate of 2 cuts disc in half, 3 cuts it into a third, 4 = quarter and so on... the more hamming the more redundant).

Really, the preferred backup medium has remained either tape backup, or a removable hard drive (or a set of such). Burnable media isn't bad for several years (usually, with good brands only), but after that it's questionable.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see... now I'll only use good and trustable brands. Verbatim pwns ^^

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've had good results with Memorex 8x discs, so don't be so quick to judge them. It can really depend on what your DVD writer is as far as what type of results you'll get. I'd say try one of the disks and if it works ok and passes a data integrity check, you might as well give them a shot.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My nec2510 is well known for its high quality DVD and CD burning, even on the worst medias... though high quality doesn't mean the disc can't rot :(

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
From my experience Maxell's are very good, I buy them in the Lidl supermarkets, I don't know if they are located in France as well. Another nono are Imation, Nashua and Philips. At least I won't buy them ever again because I used them years ago, but their quality wasn't that good back then. It might have changed though :)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunno about Imation, I burnt some years ago, and they still read fine, even in my old mini-hifi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.