Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recording Video from Video Games

Can it be done?

For example, I'm currently playing Dino Crisis on EPSXE, can I record myself playing so you guys can judge the way the game looks on my system and hear the sounds.

It's like screen shots, but instead of screenshots, I'm using video. I hear you can stream videos on Yahoo Breifcase, so it wouldn't bog down this forum if that was possible.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
oh sure, just use a tv output card and record it on a vcr! :D

seriously, that's your best bet. think about it, if your computer has to put every frame into memory, you'd run out of ram in no time.
if it has to write it to disk, oh boy, you're looking at decimal fps numbers.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Yep. Video editing takes up one serious amount of processor time. While Psx emulation isn't as demanding its still hogs a lot of processor time. The 2 tasks running at the same time would be a disaster.

After you output the video to the vcr you'll obviously have to input it again :rolleyes:. Thus you'll need a video capture card or tv card as well if you use this method. I'd recommend using an MJPEG codec for the capture as you'll drop less frames this way (in my experience). Then convert it to another format using virtualdub (use DiVX Its the best).

All in all its a major pain to do this.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is there a way that I could capture the game in an .avi, by the way not the mdecs, just the gameplay.
I just want to capture some scenes and make an animation out of it.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
see above:D

If its only an amimated gif then you could just make a series of screenshots and stick them together using paintshop.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Did anyone else record their videogames on their VCR when you actually played it on the system & TV itself? I have a tape at home of when I beat a whole lotta SNES games. I don't wanna be alone anymore . . .

Yay! My 100th post! :D

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i taped D on 3DO
i dont know where da tape went now :rolleyes:

actually, betamax was right about the capture and stuff being a pain

but, if you want to do this a lot, you could use a VCDR (records to VCDs instead of tapes). The VCDs are basically MPEG2 video, and is much easier to convert/edit/distribute on your computer.

gif is ugly... but not always. look at my avatar, it's pixel perfect compared to the real game! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
see above:D

If its only an amimated gif then you could just make a series of screenshots and stick them together using paintshop.
Well duh!!!
But you could also use avi format as well to make animation.
But is there a way to capture a game in that format (by which, using what program) NOT THE MDECS!!!!

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
No. I have heard of some ppl being able to use hypercam in some directX apps by disabling all hardware acceleration via dxdiag but the performance would be so slow that you might as well use the screen shot function. That is if this trick even works with an emulator.

S

·
0 Posts
Yes EfrainMan, I once recorded myself playing Spelunker on my Commodore 64. That was back when we had just gotten our first VCR and before I had a monitor so I had to use (hog:emb: ) the t.v. set to play gamres on. Let me tell you, it was weird sitting there an watching the game being played w/out the computer on, but it was fun. Boy, those were the days.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yeha, I suppose you could use a screen capturing program, one that records video and run the emu in a window.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
I used to record my games so I'll always be rememberd. (choking up now) Sniff . . . :eyemove: Dang, but we need a crying smilie. Actually, it's so I could see the ending to games without having to beat it. :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for the site UncleClive;)
But anyway if I was going to capture a characters animation in the ePSXe, I would need a pause function, and then use a step frame function afterwards to capture the shots.
I wish that Pete would add something like that on the next GPU:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts