Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im soon to buy a PC and I need you guys to help me pick out the right one,
I need one thats fast and reliable but i also want it to be a gaming PC.
But Gotta Stay In The $500-$600 budget.
Which PC do yall recommend me to get, it doesnt have to already bring the graphics card or have alot of memory, just one that i could upgrade to a gaming PC (im tryin to make a gaming pc that is good enuff to let me play Chankast, the PSCX2, Call Of Duty 2, and all that sweet stuff)
So far ive found this:
http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1649978&CatId=1886

Please post, and if u can, apply a link for the computer uve recommended.
Thnx u

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and let me add, i currently have a PC with 160GB HDD, 512MB SDRAM, DVD Burner w/ LightScribe, Another DVD Burner, And Intel Celeron D Processor.. When I buy the other PC, Im plannin on puttin some of the stuff from this PC to the one im gonna buy, things such as the DVD Burner n stuff... so if theres a PC out there thatll make a good gaming pc but doesnt have a dvd-rom, i got it covered.. i need some recommendations tho ASAP..

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ANOTHER DVD BURNER? oh well in that case....you're safe.

no but really, let's look at it. first of all throw that SDRAM out the window. i wipe my ass with SDRAM. granted, it hurts a little bit, but that's how i show my inferior hardware who's boss.

and while you're at it, throw the celeron D out there. well actually, maybe try to sell that so you can work your way toward a real processor. the celeron D is the best celeron...but it's still a POS.

is that 160gb drive SATA? if not, that is gonna be your storage drive.

you still need a decent hard drive (something speedy, aka a nice SATA drive), CPU (A64?), PCI-E graphics (6800ultra?), a mobo that supports both, RAM, get a nice case to put that in with a decent power supply, nothing crappy, get a good Antec or something.

and why do you need this ASAP? are you planning on getting it tomorrow? please, for your own sake DONT RUSH THIS...unless you can just throw away your money. and since it's so tight for you (and with only $600, it apparently is), i would sit down, make a plan, and try to optimize that 600 bucks and try to squeeze every last penny out of it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yea, when buying a new computer that you'll want you to last you a fairly long time, and still not be a POS after the first week of owning it, you can't cut any corners. keep saving your money, then when you have enough ($1200+), you can go ahead and invest it in a kick ass computer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i was thinkin of building my own pc, this is wat i wanna get to start with until i get more money n put more into it:

CPU: intel pentium 4 640 (3.2GHz)
Motherboard: Asus P5GD1-VM Micro ATX
Memory: Kingston Value Ram 1GB (2x512MB)
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 6600GT PCIe
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster live 24
HDD: 250GB SATA HDD
Case: AeroCool AeroEngine 2 Case - Black

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
eternal11 said:
yea, when buying a new computer that you'll want you to last you a fairly long time, and still not be a POS after the first week of owning it, you can't cut any corners. keep saving your money, then when you have enough ($1200+), you can go ahead and invest it in a kick ass computer.
$1200 is all? I spent $2500 on mine.

Kingston + Value RAM == teh suck

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
$1200 is all? I spent $2500 on mine.
i think there is a different level, come on this guy has a celeron D and SDRAM, i dont think he will get a 4400+ and a 7800, eh? ;)

man, i spent $2000 on my computer several years ago, i thought i was the **** back then with P4 2.66 (non HT baby), Geforce5600, 1gig PC3200, soundblaster audigy, NEC CRT monitor, logitech Z640 speakers, 52x CDRW, that thing didnt even come with a DVD burner :/

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
eternal11 said:
my computer sucks i know dont rub it in..

all right well i did some research for you!
If you get:
Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice)
and the ASUS A8N-SLi

instead of
Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHz
and
ASUS P5GD1-VM

you'll be saving about 18$ not to mention getting better performance/expandability in the future.

good luck!
I wasn't talking about anybody's computer in particular. I was just questioning, are people really able to build "uber powerful" machines with only $1200? I guess if you take the monitors off, I only spent $1800 on the whole thing, but there's still a ton of room for improvement. I spent about $1000 designing and building a machine for my uncle about a year ago (his PC is never fast enough for him) and he's already wanting to upgrade things. I guess I'm questioning how long you consider a "fairly long time" to be.

Edit: Actually, it wasn't even a year ago. It was July of 05. I just checked the records.

Hushy kinda paralelled my point in his post. He'll be getting a significant upgrade from where he currently stands, but I'm guessing it'll still be obsolete within a month or two unless he invests in very "current" hardware, which is usually expensive.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
yeah, computers are ridiculous. just depends on what you want to do with it. my computer plays COD2 fine :p

but then again, from my $2000 original PC, since june 03 i believe it was, i added a new mobo and CPU ($150), videocard ($300), DVD burner ($50), CPU HSF ($30), videocard HSF ($20), several new hard drives (a few hundred i guess)

a computer is a money pit. honestly, 1200 is enough for now, but seriously, just plan to keep spending more and more money all the time on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aight hushy im stickin to this thread, n if theres a way on deleting the other ones i created go ahead, i just wasnt gettin an answer. but this is the PC i decided on building. this is wat im plannin on gettin for now, wat do yall think?

CPU:-----AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
Motherboard:----Asus A8N-SLI Premium ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory:---------1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory
Graphics:----EVGA GeForce 6600GT 128MB (8x PCIe Graphics Card)
Soundcard:--(Dont Need One, MOBO Brings Realtek ALC850 Integrated)
HDD:--------Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 7200rpm SATA OEM
Case:----AeroCool AeroEngine 2 Case - Black (im liking the side window lol)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I don't know how good your onboard sound chip is, but ever since I've been using this SBLive! 24bit card, I decided never to go back to onboard audio. So unless you have crappy speakers, I recommend picking up such a soundcard, I don't know how much it costs at the place you'll be getting your hardware, but I got it for a very friendly price. It will definately be a worthy upgrade if you listen to music a lot.

·
カラム
365 Posts
Don't get SB Live! 24-bit. My dad's one's CD drivers couldn't run the card at 4.1 (Which is his setup). The drivers for that card are the worst ones ever. I do not recommend getting it.

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts
LilTone247 said:
aight hushy im stickin to this thread, n if theres a way on deleting the other ones i created go ahead, i just wasnt gettin an answer. but this is the PC i decided on building. this is wat im plannin on gettin for now, wat do yall think?

CPU:-----AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
Motherboard:----Asus A8N-SLI Premium ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory:---------1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory
Graphics:----EVGA GeForce 6600GT 128MB (8x PCIe Graphics Card)
Soundcard:--(Dont Need One, MOBO Brings Realtek ALC850 Integrated)
HDD:--------Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 7200rpm SATA OEM
Case:----AeroCool AeroEngine 2 Case - Black (im liking the side window lol)

Now that's more like it. ;)

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
before any thing else
i have an intel 855 64mb shared memory on my laptop which i was able to play dead or alive 2 on it (1.6 pentium M ,512mb rams all u need to know)the processor will do the heavy work on chankast,and belive it or not it played faster than it did on my rig desktop pc
creative sound blaster live 24is a wonderfull card and a cheap one too i stronglly recommend getting it (and about the driver it even happens with the audigy series that the driver suck but they fix it later)
your new pc seems great have u consider a surround speaker system? 5.1 really changed my live the sound is not in any way less important than the graphix

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
(and about the driver it even happens with the audigy series that the driver suck but they fix it later)
they fix it later?.....

(oh n thanx for tha comment silenus, now i know im doin a good job so far, im also gon throw a "ULTRA 550W X2-Connect Power Supply - Titanium" on it.. should be lookin real nice, then i plan on puttin blue LED fans n neons, im not sure wich color to pick...blue or red...any suggestions on the whole which color and light effects situation?)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.