Next Generation Emulation banner

Recommendations for a good build for pcsx2

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sunnywilson09 
#1 ·
I’m looking at this:

MSI 9SI-447US @ $1221
(It’s my first post, so I can’t use links)

But any recommendations to save me money would be great.

I’m inexperienced with building PCs, and searching around I find a lot of people using motherboards that might need updates to run the CPUs they chose, so it kind of steered me away from it, but I’d still be open.

I’m mainly just wanting to play battlefront or battlefront II splitscreen. I don’t need it to look like a new game or play in 4K. I just want it to run smoothly and not look worse than the original.
soulcalibur 3 and urban reign are also games that I might look into.

Everyone always argues Intel vs Ryzen, but I’ll take either that works. A lot of people just recommend getting an i3, but some say i7. I didn’t want to spend more than I needed, if I’m not going to notice a difference

I didn’t plan on getting into any recent games, because my internet is really bad, and I rarely play anything by myself. But once I started thinking about getting this particular computer, I thought the potential of getting ultimate ninja storm 4 or tales of arise would be nice, so I wouldn’t have to switch back and forth with the PS4.

So 2 potential builds:

One that can do that and meet my basic pcsx2 requirements

Or just basic pcsx2

Links to prebuilt computers would be fine as well, but preferably in the same price range or less.

For now it’ll just be hooked up to a tv on an entertainment system, but if I really get into it, I might invest in a desk and monitor.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I figured it would work, but if it was overkill, I wanted to know how to tone it down without hampering my basic need.

I’ve actually decided on a PC though. I ordered an open box 9SC-430US from Newegg, so here’s hoping that it works and has all of the accessories.

I’m still interested in what people have to say.

I did decide to go with it so I could try to replace my PS4 with steam.

#5 ·
For PCSX2 nothing is overkill for it, anything you can throw at it can be used for getting games that lag to work or run higher resolutions, I would say it is a start and not overkill considering you will run pretty much any game you can throw at it and have the option to run in software for glitchy games.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Thanks. I see people get it running smoothly with much less, but they're never testing this specific game or splitscreen, which is why I decided to ask.

My PC came in yesterday and everything seems to check out.

My only issue now is my abysmal internet connection. Once I get everything downloaded I’ll only be playing offline, but just getting steam downloaded and updated took 10hrs, which is why I stayed away from digital games for so long. (I live in the middle of nowhere).

#9 ·
If you want to play PS2 games, not modern PC games (and already have a PS4 for modern games), and you want to play PS2 games just the way they originally looked.. why wouldn't you just buy a nice and cheap used PS2?

Very honest question. Because, that's what I'd do.

I read that you want to be able to switch between old games and newer ones easily but.. really? A gaming PC only so you can do that? Turning a PS4 on and off is not much hassle.

#10 ·
I think most people that build a gaming PC with emulation in mind want it to be able to play everything, not just PS2 games. More than that, there is the draw of playing an old favorite but in 1080p or 4K and it looking so much better than it did on the original console.

Simultaneously, yeah I do also see the point of just using the original hardware. I've seen both sides of the fence and after messing around with PCSX2 to get games playable (some still aren't playable today or still run poorly no matter how powerful your system) it's just so much easier to pop your game into a real PS2 or a hardware backwards compatible PS3 and just play, better graphics be damned. Hell, all PS3s can be hacked (later model slims and all super slims to a lesser extent) to allow for storing and running games (PS1, PS2, and PS3) directly from the system's HDD. I have to point out that PS2 games only run full speed and bug free on the first generation "Fat" PS3s that came with either a 20GB or 60GB HDD. I bought a 60GB model on ebay years ago when Sony announced that they were removing the hardware backwards compatibility and replacing it with a much less reliable software backwards compatibility solution. I figured I'd better get one before they all disappear... Still runs today and after I hacked it and installed a custom firmware, it has all of my PS1, PS2, and PS3 games stored on its 1TB SSD. While I still occasionally mess around with PCSX2, running my games on my PS3 beats trying to remember the settings I had used on "Game X" years ago or adjusting a bunch of settings to get them running properly.

#11 ·
I think most people that build a gaming PC with emulation in mind want it to be able to play everything, not just PS2 games. More than that, there is the draw of playing an old favorite but in 1080p or 4K and it looking so much better than it did on the original console.
I welcome your contribution to this discussion.

However:
I’m mainly just wanting to play battlefront or battlefront II splitscreen. I don’t need it to look like a new game or play in 4K. I just want it to run smoothly and not look worse than the original.
soulcalibur 3 and urban reign are also games that I might look into.
I didn’t plan on getting into any recent games, because my internet is really bad, and I rarely play anything by myself. But once I started thinking about getting this particular computer, I thought the potential of getting ultimate ninja storm 4 or tales of arise would be nice, so I wouldn’t have to switch back and forth with the PS4.
OP really just wants a way to play PS2 games and OP is fine with playing them plain the way they originally played.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.