Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recommendation - Warhammer 40,000: DoW

What happens when you combine the Space Marines from Starcraft with the Orcs from Warcraft? You get Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

The game plays like a RTS game, but it’s squad based and it promotes offensive fighting.

In a typical RTS you use buildings to create units, but in Warhammer 40,000: WoD, once you create a squad from a building, you can create new units within the squad itself. The upgrades can even be done in the squad, though the proper research buildings are required first. With the buildings, you don’t create one solider, you can create a team of soldiers so this can cut down the time required to create a large army.

To win the game you don’t have to wipe out the enemies bases, but you just have to capture enough critical points on the map.

The zoom function in the game is very detailed, better than Warcraft III zoom feature. You can zoom all the way down to a single unit and watch the battle right up close.

If you can’t wait for Starcraft 2, you may want to give Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War a try.

·
Link to the Underworld
1,148 Posts
RZetlin said:
What happens when you combine the Space Marines from Starcraft with the Orcs from Warcraft? You get Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.
Well, you know, it was technically Blizzard who copied Warhammer 40k for starcraft, and a lesser extend warcraft. They borrowed elements of the Space Marines for the Terrans, and the Eldar for the Protoss. In Warcraft, they made an almost perfect version of some medieval orcs, with their dumbwitted attitudes, agressive behaviours, and even alot of their speach patterns.

Anyways, RZetlin did a good job explaining squads, one of the major points of DoW. Another one are the resources. Instead of harvesting resources, you automatically gain them. You'd know what i'm talking about if you've ever played the fantastic RTS Total Annihilation. You build buildings to gather energy, and every second it adds to your stockpile. You also have to gather Requisition resources, which are gathered by capturing Relics, Strategic points, or Critical points, and its added to your stockpile like energy. There's also points on the map where you can build really big energy generators, important for some of the most powerful units. This promotes a very agressive style of play, as you always need more resources as the game goes on, and thus making you capture more points. The art of building up a solid defense and slowly building an ultimate army is lost in this game, for you're always on the move and your territory is always changing. Some see this as good some see it as bad, it depends on your style.

Also, to expand upon winning information, you can win by capturing more strategic points. But most multiplayer maps you'll see will make you win by completely whiping out the enemy. Some say it only prolongs the matches though, as the nature of the game creates a pretty big slippery slope, once you get more resource points than the other guy, you're building better troops, faster, and the person on the losing end really needs to start pulling out all the stops to turn the tables. You can also win by capturing certain "Critical points" on the map for a set period of time.

I've yet to play the retail game, but i've played the beta and read some details. This is pretty much the basic and i'll save any actual opinions until i play the retail version, which i should get by friday at the latest.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The squads are very strong and powerful. They can take more hits than the units in Warcraft III. You have the option of equipping them with two optional weapons like rocket launchers and plamsa guns. Good for taking down towers.

But one thing I don't like is how the buildings are setup. Buildings are only be built near the command center area which leads to cramped buildings. So you have to use your building area wisely.

One aspect I like about the game is how you begin battling almost immediately. There's none of the prolonged step of training up your peons and gathering the wood and resources. The power supplies and caputured points build up your resources automatically. In the match I played I only needed 3 builders.

So you don't have to wait to get your army together. I just played a match where the game was finished in under 15 minutes!

I don't see any problems of not able to control individual units. In most battles, you probably have to control a team of soliders anyway.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got the full version game and I have played serveral skimish matches.

This game just rocks.

There are several battle features that makes this game better than Warcraft III or even Starcraft.

The battles are intensed and fast paced.

If you don't like resource gathering in RTS then this game is for you. You can immediately start out the game with a lot of resources. Unlike Warcraft were you have to worry if your mine collapses or you run out of trees. The resources in Warhammer 40,000 are unlimited. (As long as you have a power plant and captured point)

One of coolest things of being a Space Marine are the drop pods. Once you build the orbit station you can drop your troops right at the enemies' back door!

The replay feature is very useful. You can learn about the enemies tactics and study your own. Though I wish there was an option where you can skip to different portions of the replay.

·
Link to the Underworld
1,148 Posts
a small correction, strategic points can be exhausted of its resources, if you manage to get into a prolonged match, however. that rarely happens.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
i was planning on installing it in a couple days, im actually rather busy right now playing Rome - Total War, which is actually a very fun game ;)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
I can't believe you can live playing games like these with a geforce2...i played this like 2 weeks ago at a LAN party and it is an excellent game. I just don't have $50 to dish out to get the full multiplayer experience (considering thats the meat of the game)

·
Link to the Underworld
1,148 Posts
Yes, Rome rocks. It's a shame, i started working more and all these great strategy games come out. Kohort 2, Rome, and DoW, so now i don't have time to play any of them :(. From what i've played of both, Rome and DoW are both really great games. DoW's multiple quickly turns into a battle of rushes though. People try to tech up to a decent unit as quick as possible then send them out. Other player counters with their own rush and they're thrown into a perpetual state of battle. I'm not very good at this part unfortunately, and i don't have alot of time to practice :(.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This game looks very impressive. I love RTSes and this is one I've been having my eye on for a while. But I'm probably getting Rome: Total War first.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
i dunno but its an absolutely beautiful game. Just watching a minefeild totally pulverize a squad of chaos marines is joy...even if they are your chaos marines -_-

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had the best battle.

My space marine line of defense was getting pounded by the advancing chaos space marine force. I was just at the mouth of the chaos space marine headquarters.

Then BOOM! I dropped four pods right behind the enemy troops. In the pods were three Dreadnoughts and one Marine squad. At the same time the Predator tank was pumped out from the Machine shop and my Land Raider was fixed up at my line of defense. The enemy was sandwiched between my forces and they crumbled like flies. I won the match.

And it's cool setting up mine traps in heavy cover like craters. The enemy think they are taking cover for safety when POW! They step on a land mine. :D

Considering how expensive it is to amass a large army of real Warhammer 40k figures, this game is worth the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts