Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mates!
Well I'm in some bloody crisis right now where everything is boring. I made a few really, really bad choices over the course of last 2 years and now I'm begining to face the results. So I need something to cheer me up... I tried the usuall ones, drinking and more drinking, music, social stuff you name it but to no avail.

I thought maybe books could immerse me the way games (sadly) can't any longer...
I enjoy almost any kind of books but prefer classics (Dostojevskij, Victor Hugo, Sienkiewicz) and fantasy/sci-fi (Wheel of Time, Enders Game, Dune series, my hero Drizzt :) [no Stephen King hate the fellow] ) but really I think anything goes really... from Kafka to Platon =P

Only thing is that I live in Sweden and some of the new/strange/rare books haven't/wont been released here from sources I can get them from.

Thank you for your time!

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
If you like Forgotten Realms books (like Drizzt serie. :thumb: ), start reading Dragonlance books. Start from Chronicles trilogy (books Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning), then immidietly followed by Legends Trilogy (books Time of the Twins, War of the Twins and Test of the Twins) AND followed by book Dragons of Summer Flame. From here on it divides to two branches, one following quests of Dhamon (Dragons of a New Age Trilogy + Dhamon Saga books and War of Souls Trilogy + so on...)

These books should keep you busy for next 6 months... :lol: If these books are all translated to finnish, im 100% sure they are in swedish aswell in your local library.

ALSO, one of greatest fantasy books IMO, get George R.R. Martins Song Of Fire And Ice trilogy. (books Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I love E-Books:
Here is one!
Here's two!

There are many free e-books of old classics such as Dracula, Grims fairy tales, etc...

Yes, these e-books are perfectly legal.

I can e-mail them to you. Mind you they are a few MB so make sure you have something like Hotmail/GMail.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Its annoying to read books from screen, and ebook pocketreaders cost quite a lot, as does pocket computers...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I PM-ed to KILER I think I'll be able to print them here at work so that shouldn't be a problem =P But I agree I really don't like reading longer stuff on monitor...

But MaZa my beautiful friend... I think you hit the spot =) Sadly I'm at work right now but rest assured my poor kid brother is on his way to library with a 6 months worth of reading list in his hand =)

Which ones would you recommend me to read first?

@other possible contributers to this thread no worries mates I can read 2 books at a time with ease so please do your duty =P

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
If you like Forgotten Realms literature then I strongly recommend anything written by Elaine Cunningham, in particular the Song & Swords saga.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Melhisedek said:
But MaZa my beautiful friend... I think you hit the spot =) Sadly I'm at work right now but rest assured my poor kid brother is on his way to library with a 6 months worth of reading list in his hand =)

Which ones would you recommend me to read first?

@other possible contributers to this thread no worries mates I can read 2 books at a time with ease so please do your duty =P
In order which i wrote them. They are in chronological order. Between Dragonlance saga and Song Of Fire And Ice, i dunno. SOFI is much more grimmer, very cold atmospheric (with obvious reasons as you might notice when you read it. :rolleyes: ) where Dragonlance is more standard fantasy like Forgotten Realms books, so its your pick. SOFI might be better start because its winter now... :dance:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like it will be Song Of Fire And Ice. I can't explain why/how but I really like the name!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you like science fiction, you can try "the black cloud" by Fred Hoyle. Very good book with realistic explanations for all phenomena occuring in the book (Fred Hoyle was a physicist). It's about a cloud of gas that is blocking out the sunlight from the earth...

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Man, I can’t belive you don’t like Stephen King :p (I’m currently reading his “Danse Macabre”).

Oh well, I don’t know if you’re interested in technical science books. If you’re interested just say so and I’ll point you out to dozens of volumes that will overwhelm you for the years to come :) I’ve no particular reason to think you want this kind of literature, though, so I’ll not post it here unless you request it.

If you like horror stories, do yourself a favor and read H.P.Lovecraft. I’ve his entire works in .doc format, and I can e-mail them to you if you want it. Same goes for Edgar Allan Poe complete works (I can also mail them to you).

There’re two websites which are full of online books:

http://www.bartleby.com
http://www.online-literature.com

On both sites, you can find a lot of the classics. I’ll mention a few of my favorites (in no particular order): Herman Melville’s “Bartleby”, any of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s short tales, George Orwell’s “1984”, Aldous Huxley’s “Brave New World”, any of Shakespeare’s plays (and I mean ANY. But Hamlet is still my favorite, followed by Macbeth), H.G.Wells’ “The Time Machine”, “War of the Worlds” and “The Island of Dr.Moreau”, Victor Hugo’s “Les Miserables”, Robert Louis Stevenson “The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde”, Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” (if you haven’t read it, that is), Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” (same as for Dracula), Oscar Wilde’s “The Picture of Dorian Gray”, any of Arthur Conan Doyle’s tales about Sherlock Holmes, Jules Vernes’ “Journey to the Center of the Earth”, “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” and “From the Earth to the Moon”, Goethe’s “Faust”, Dante’s “Divine Comedy” 3 books, Leo Tolstoy’s “War and Peace”, any of Ambrose Bierce’s short stories, John Milton’s “Paradise Lost”, Niccholo Machiavelli’s “The Prince”, Voltaire’s “Candide”, any of Charles Dickens’ stories, Dostoyevsky’s “Crime and Punishment”. If you’re into poetry, I recommend anything by William Blake, William Butler Yeats, John Keats, Samuel Taylor Coleridge or Lord Byron.

This list will give you a very large sample of styles, ranging from fiction to non-fiction, from the merely fantastic to sci-fi plots.

Now, if you’re into modern sci-fi, I can also recommend you lots of books. Unfortunately, none of them can be found online for free (legally, I mean :evil: ). But I’ll mention the authors and the titles anyway (once again, in no particular order):

Isaac Asimov’s “I, Robot”, the Foundation series (I believe there’re a total of 7 books), or any other book by Asimov, for that matter. Ray Bradbury’s “Martian Chronicles”, “Fahrenheit 451” “I Sing the Body Electric”, “The Illustrated Man”, “The October Country”, any of his short stories (there’s a compilation featuring a hundred of them, “Something Wicked This Way Comes” (not really sci-fi, though, it’s dark horror), “Dandelion Wine” (same as “Something Wicked”). Fred Hoyle’s “Black Cloud”. Greg Egan’s “Quarantine”, “Diaspora” and “Permutation City” (3 excellent sci-fi novels, among the best I’ve ever read). Robert Heinlein’s “Starship Troopers”, “Stranger in a Strange Land”, “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress”, “Citizen of the Galaxy” and “Tunnel in the Sky”. Philip K.Dick’s “Do Androids Dream of Electrical Sheep?”, “A Scanner Darkly”, “Minority Report” (The Collected Stories) and “Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said”. Arthur C.Clarke’s “2001: A Space Odyssey” tetralogy (it ends with “3100: The Final Odyssey”), “Childhood’s End”, “Songs of Distant Earth”, “Rendezvouz with Rama”, “Rama II”, “The Hammer of God”, “Rama Revealed” and “The Fountains of Paradise”. Vernor Vinge’s “The Peace War”, “A Fire Upon the Deep” (this is one is my favorite), “Marooned in Real Time”, “True Names… And Other Dangers” (a collection). William Gibson’s “Neuromancer”, “Pattern Recognition”, “Burning Chrome”, “Mona Lisa Overdrive”. Michael Crichton’s “Jurassic Park”, “Prey”, “Terminal Man”, “The Andromeda Strain”, “Sphere”. Robin Cook’s “Chromosome 6”, “Shock”, “Abduction”, “Seizure” and “Coma”.

If you read even a small fraction of the books above, you’ll have a sci-fi overload :p

I can also recommend popular books about science in case you’re interested ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mate are my new idol!!! For at least next 2.532165464276234 years! What kind of animal sacrifices would you like =P
Sadly I can't reply now, bloody meeting with boss, be back in 30 I hope :)

But science sounds great man!!! never read one of such books before but it sounds fun ;) Bring them on !!!

Just short on King... I HATE how he finishes his books!!! Hate! Will never forget how dissapointed I was @ "Needful Things", "Desperation" as well, liked Shining though...

Damn need to run, see ya in a min!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I liked the "World War" series and its continuation "Colonization" by Harry Turtledove. Aliens invade during world war 2.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
You're welcome, man. It's always good to suggest a few books ;)

Since you seem interested in popular science books, I'll suggest a bunch. I'll separate them by subject:

Physics/Cosmology:
Stephen Hawking's "A Brief Story of Time", "The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe" and "The Universe in a Nutshell". Steven Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes" and "Dreams of a Final Theory". Alan Guth's "The Inflationary Universe". Lawrence M.Krauss' "The Physics of Star Trek" and "Beyond Star Trek". Richard Feynman's "The Character of Physical Law" and "'Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!': Adventures of a Curious Character". George Gamow's "One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science". Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality". Richard Gott's "Time Travels in Eintein's Universe".

Biology/Evolutionary Theory:
John Watson's "The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA". Richard Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene", "The Blind Watchmaker", "Climbing Mount Improbable", "The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution" and "The River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life".

Cognitive Science:
Steven Pinker's "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature" and "How the Mind Works". Francis Crick's "The Astonishing Hypothesis: The Scientific Search for a Soul". Susan Blackmore's "The Meme Machine". Daniel C.Dennet's "Consciousness Explained" and "Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life". Douglas Hofstadter's "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" and "Metamagical Themas: Questing for the Essence of Mind and Pattern". Marvin Minsky's "Society of Mind".

Scientific Method/Science in General/Skepticism:
Richard Dawkins' "A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science and Love" and "Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder". Robert Todd Carroll's "Becoming a Critical Thinker: A Guide for the New Millenium" and "The Skeptic's Dictionary". Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World", "Billions and Billions", "Cosmos", "Dragons of Eden", "Broca's Brain" and "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors". Martin Gardner's "Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science". Tomas Gilovich "How We Know What Isn't So". Michael Shermer's "Why People Believe Weird Things", "The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule", "How We Believe: Science, Skepticism and the Search for God" and "The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense". Phil Plait's "Bad Astronomy".

I guess that's it for now. There're many more, but those listed already form a good reading list.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Heroes trilogy isnt as widespread as main storyline which i wrote. I havent found it translated to finnish anywhere, so there is a small chance that it isnt in swedish either.

Another which might be worth of reading before main storyline of Dragonlance is The Raistlin Chronicles (books The Soulforge and Brothers in Arms). It tells about childhood of Majere brothers. (one of maincharacters in Dragonlance series) What i very much dislike in those two books is that Margaret decided for some unknown reason to write Caramon to be COMPLETELY RETARDED MORON, which isnt so. Unlike his brother Raistlin, he is indeed very slow brained, but quite smart in his own way, (Raistlin was quick brained and wise, but got easily stuck in social relations and had no knowledge on that. Caramon is opposite) but in those two books he is completely mentally handicapped, all-brawl-no-brains, stupid as treetrunk. :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you're going to read anything read Chuck Palahniuk's books...he's the author of Fight Club. He is one of the best satirical writers of this century. For reals. Read Choke, I highly recommend.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I concur with MaZa's choice: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. READ IT NOW!

Fricking brilliant. Completely annihilates the rest of the fantasy field. It completely eclipses the mind-numbingly conventional drivel known as Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance (even though Elaine Cunningham's books on the Dark Elves and Salvatore's Drizzt series are better than average...). Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is completely 0wn3d by Martin (at least compared to the later novels).

It's fantastic. None of that "Magical Elves and Fairies" and Tolkein thematic rip-offs of "Good vs. Evil" nonsense that currently plagues fantasy. The characters are shades of gray and really, really bad things happen to likeable or honourable characters. Sex, incest, unflinching violence, "evil">"good", swearing, etc. Couple the brutal realism with a 2000+ year history, a cast of characters that literally goes into the hundreds if not thousands, multiple POV's, etc. I read a lot of fantasy and this series was one of the few that really caught my interest.

Only problem is that he's really, really slow in churning out novels for the series. The first book was published in 1996, the second one in 1998, the third one in 2000, and he's STILL working on the fourth one ("Feast for Crows").

·
Registered
116 Posts
You could try the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. If you like the Wheel of Time, then the Sword of Truth comes in at a close second. Though I'm sure you've heard of the series if you're a fan of WoT at all... They're compared quite often. I don't read much aside from the WoT and SoT... Kinda enjoy some Dean Koontz once in a while, too...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think this thread is the best thing that happened to me since I learned that I could use AA+AF on my 9700 PRO

Anyway, so far I have got myself "A Song of Fire and Ice" trilogy, Voltaires "Candide" and am in the search for Neuromancer and rest of Gibbons stuff.

Thing is I would like to read a few history books as well... Once I read a book about Napoleon by some Russian fellow. Can't remember him for the life of me but it was great read. Would really like to continue with good history books so if any of you know of any good ones please drop a line!

BTW I made a list of all the books and authors I need to read, it's ~8kb =P And only quality baby!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts