Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. Fallen.

I have to admit, I have long had a fascination for those who believed themselves to be on the side of good and righteousness, but due to some event or series thereof, fall into the clutches of the dark side.

It's one thing to convert to the light, since darkness is supposed to be wrong, but it's so much more intriguing the other way around, because normally, the constructs of pretty much everything moves away from darkness. Light is supposed to be THE way.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any classification of such books, hence I can't just go about googling them. I've read Count of Monte Cristo, but was disappointed...not evil enough :lol: I've watched how Anakin became Vader, but I didn't feel the push to be strong enough. I'm looking into purchasing Jekyll and Hyde, perhaps Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Portrait of Dorian Gray, to study the internal strife which may lead someone to break, but I'm not sure if they fit the bill close enough. I want fallen stories!

I don't want books of vengeance alone or psychological imbalance. It has to be utter and *rational* destruction of the spirit which moves the character to find the flaws of his old beliefs and becomes evil. Yeah, you read that right.

Are there such books? Or are they of the forbidden lot? :laugh:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
So you enjoy anti-heroes?

I think the Elric Saga (by Michael Moorcock) is sort of like that. Also the design of Alucard from symphony of the night is inspired by the main character. (a sword from the book is also in the game. [mournblade] )

Without revealing too much.

It’s about an emperor/prince who looses his ideals about life and the world. His morals are tested by almost every situation he finds himself in.

I can tell you more if you want... ;) (ask me!)

Kraelis said:
I've read Count of Monte Cristo, but was disappointed...not evil enough
Thanks!
The movie was better ;)

Another movie you may want to see is the Abominable Dr. Phibes (it is also a book)

It is about a strange man who seeks vengeance for his wife’s death.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Valcrist: Hm... sounds interesting. I'll try to scrounge for a copy from over here.

@Katsuya: Yeah... anti-heroes. :) Well, just how long is the Elric Saga anyway? But it sounds right on the money though. If I may ask, does he ever find the answers to his doubts? Or does he stay forever lost? I'll try to find Abominable Dr. Phibes too. With the Count of Monte Cristo, I felt that the Dantes simply had a "bad" side which was switched on with his sufferings. That's why no matter how cool and calculating as he was in the book, I didn't feel him to be passionately converted. Besides, the way he found his peace in the end was underdeveloped IMO.

@Xeven: No wonder! I had a feeling you fell one too many times :lol:

@Kazuya: Yeah, Grahf was cool. Krelian was a little flat though.... too little character development.

Thanks guys! Any more suggestions?

·
The Vodka Theme
747 Posts
Katsuya said:
So you enjoy anti-heroes?

The movie was better ;)

Another movie you may want to see is the Abominable Dr. Phibes (it is also a book)

It is about a strange man who seeks vengeance for his wife’s death.
I didn't like it really (it wasn't made according to the story, or was it? :heh:)

Abominable Dr. Phibes.. is it a horror movie from the 60's-70's? i really didn't like it. maybe the book is better.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now that's two recommendations for the Coldfire trilogy. I'm gonna ba a-hunting for it come the Christmas paycheck. :)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Kraelis said:
@Katsuya: Yeah... anti-heroes. :) Well, just how long is the Elric Saga anyway?
If I remember correctly it was six volumes long (The Chronicle of the Black Sword/Elric The Stealer of Souls). However, I purchased the collection as two big books (the Elric Saga part 1 and 2)

But it sounds right on the money though. If I may ask, does he ever find the answers to his doubts? Or does he stay forever lost?
That depends on what you consider lost. In a way we are all lost, it is up to us to find our own path no mater how uncertain it is.

He was not born to be a warrior. (More like a scholar) but it is his weaknesses that give Elric his true power. He was not intended to be a hero, but perhaps his bent toward evil is what makes him genuine as a champion.

I'll try to find Abominable Dr. Phibes too.
It has a sequel called Dr. Phibes rises again. I have not read it yet.

Dark Watcher said:
We will look into that Elric saga..thanks Katsuya
I am glad that you find interest in the book. Something you may also find interesting is that Hollywood wants to make a movie out of the Elric saga. (a trilogy in fact)

ArchIBaLD said:
Abominable Dr. Phibes.. is it a horror movie from the 60's-70's? i really didn't like it. maybe the book is better.
The movie was more of a comedy/ horror story then the book.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
He raised a long knife into her field of vision, even as his slender hand stroked the hair gently out of her eyes. "You go to a far gentler afterlife than I will ever know," he said softly. "I apologize for the pain I must use to send you there. That's a necessary part of the process." The hand dropped back from her forehead, and the glittering blade was before her eyes.
"The sacrifice is not of you body," he explained. His voice was cold in the darkness. "It is...of my humanity."
Part of the opening of "Black Sun RIsing", the first book in the Cold Fire Trilogy. Just to give you a better understanding :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.