Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best settings to play FFVII with on an Intel P4 1.8 Ghz processor, Radeon 9200 PCI graphics, and 640 MB's of RAM. The game slows really far down whenever the screen fades in/out, and when a battle starts. Theres no battle swirl, either.

Current settings:
Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: RADEON 9200

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 1
- Framebuffer access: 1
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: on [254]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: on
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000201]

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ok first of all, definitely turn off the FF9 fix and screen smoothing, and scanlines as well.

try this:

- Offscreen drawing: 4
- Framebuffer texture: 0
- Framebuffer access: 4

and if it's still slow, turn off hi-res textures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. The video is smoother in some places where it wasnt, and there is a battle swirl. However, the sound lags whenever anything is in motion. It is especially evident after a battle when your gained gil is fed into your current amount. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
man, the P4 1.8 is a huge pile of crap (eww, willamette).

try SPUasync -->Smooth. if you're still having problems, try adjusting the buffer (perhaps down to like 40, then if that doesnt work maybe up a little)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks. Changing the buffer size up to 40 (it was at 34) really helped. There's still some flickering sounds here and there, and it slows down quite a bit when your getting your gil after the battle. Nevertheless, the slowdowns are only noticable if you're looking for them- a first time player wouldn't be able to see them.

That's exactly what I'm doing, too. I want a certain non-gamer freind of mine to play through FFVII, and after enduring the buggy mess that is the PC version, I thought he would rather try simple PSX emulation instead.

This is probably the smoothest the game will ever get on his machine. Thanks for all the help! I especially enjoy the battle swirl not slowing my FPS (or sounds) down to crap now.

[EDIT]
Wah! One more question! Is there any way to get rid of those pixelated green outlines that appear when theres more than one layer in the background?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.