Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I went to Wal-Mart today and bought a Phillips SGC2909 retractable game pad. When I went to configure it in 1.7 the analog sticks lagged when I tried to configure the axis on them. Anyway, at the opening menu where you choose new game or load, the left analog stick somehow switched the axis. (left and right were up and down and up and down were left and right) Now, this is where it gets interesting. When I am on the world map or walking around, the analog sticks worked like I mapped them (up is up, right is right, ect), but in the menus and in battle the damn axis are switched like at the opening screen. I thought it might just be the controller, so I tried a bunch of other games (FF9, FF7, RE3, RE2, Suikoden II, SaGa Frontier II, Legend of Dragoon and Castlevania SOTN to be exact) and they work just fine; it only does it in FF8. Is this some glitch that is in 1.7? Should I just get 1.6 or 1.5.2 to play FF8? Oh, and all of the games I have played are .iso files I've ripped from the originals, but I did try playing FF8 with the discs as well and it did the same thing.

SPECS:

AMD Anthlon X2 5.6 Ghz processor
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon 3870 512MB GDDR4
Windows XP SP3

Peops soft driver 1.18
Eternal SPU 1.41
ePSXe WNT/WN2 1.7.0 core
I haven't changed the gamepad driver; it's the default one that comes with 1.7.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ALREADY IN THE BUGS THREAD.

I'm sorry bro, but the only emulator which doesn't have this problem is pSX.

It occurs on both XP and Vista. the only place where its not a problem is the world map. Which also initially had the problem as well. The only way to control menu's unfortunately is the dpad, but it provides better control over the menu's anyway, so it isn't a big loss.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
you can try mapping the dpad buttons to the analog sticks, this isnt real analog but if you find this issue annoying it might be a tolerable work-around. you could also try mapping the dpad buttons to the right analog stick, that way instead of having to use one or the other, you could use both. ive never tried this particular method myself but if it was to work i would imagine you would be able to still use the left analog stick for movement in most places and the right analog (configured to be the dpad) for menus.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
This is inheritently my fault, i was the one doing the testing on FF8 for the dev's and somehow i entirely missed this issue. its most likely because i did most of my testing on the world map.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.