Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fitted RJ45 connectors to either side of a piece of cat5 cable but when I test it on the laptop I get no ethernet connection. I also have a pre-made ethernet cable which works fine so I know it's my homemade ethernet cable. I cut the cat5 to 12.5mm and connect both ends the same (i.e s68A)

I have practiced this a few times now each with the same result, i.e. it doesn't work.

With a piece of twin and earth I could test for continuity at both ends but how do I test for continuity through an RJ45 connector?

The problems that I can see as being are the following but I don't know which is the most likely or if there are other problems I missing?

1. Poor quality connectors, not actually making contact in the laptop or router.

2. cat 5 not actually terminated inside the RJ45 connector

3. RJ45 Crimping tool not effective which leads to 2 above.

Cheers, all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have fitted RJ45 connectors to either side of a piece of cat5 cable but when I test it on the laptop I get no ethernet connection. I also have a pre-made ethernet cable which works fine so I know it's my homemade ethernet cable. I cut the cat5 to 12.5mm and connect both ends the same (i.e s68A)

I have practiced this a few times now each with the same result, i.e. it doesn't work.

With a piece of twin and earth I could test for continuity at both ends but how do I test for continuity through an RJ45 connector?

The problems that I can see as being are the following but I don't know which is the most likely or if there are other problems I missing?

1. Poor quality connectors, not actually making contact in the laptop or router.

2. cat 5 not actually terminated inside the official site connector

3. RJ45 Crimping tool not effective which leads to 2 above.

Cheers, all.
When it comes to CAT6, I would never recommend trying to crimp the RJ45 connectors yourself. Yeah, you can do it, but it's tough to get right. I've crimped tons of CAT5e, but I will never crimp CAT6 again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts