Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do they do?

They are 2 unknown options i found in my mobo bios.

1) Should i enable or disable "write to read delay"?

2) What value should i assign to "read to write delay"? 0? 1? 2? 3?

please tell me if u know the answers , thanks.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I guess American Megatrends is more user-friendly after all...:)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ah: "UHUUUU!! I became a MEMBER with 30 posts!"

Well... duh. :emb:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Originally posted by Zell
Congratulaions , i needed 50 posts !
Zell, when will I be able to change that text below my name and above my avatar?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by Death Metal

Zell, when will I be able to change that text below my name and above my avatar?
once you reach 700..
and guys, why dont you try actually answering nightmare's questions when you post to his thread? :p

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Originally posted by Bgnome

once you reach 700..
and guys, why dont you try actually answering nightmare's questions when you post to his thread? :p
yea, I mean, sheesh...:p

Sorry nightmare. dunno. :(

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Originally posted by Bgnome

once you reach 700..
Yeah, you're right... sorry, guess that was my fault.
And... don't the manual of the main board explain these? Which company made the bios? I only know a few things related to AMI. :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
For optimal performance, you'd want to disable WR delay and set RW delay to 0. However, this may cause system instability if your DRAM module cannot handle this.

Suggestion:
Disable WR delay. If your system's stable, slowly reduce RW delay... stop only when you encounter instability...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Kairi, could you please explain what are these, anyway? I'm curious now. :sad:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Death Metal
Kairi, could you please explain what are these, anyway? I'm curious now. :sad:
I'm just taking a stab at it... I'm not 100% that those settings are what I have in mind, but my intuition tells me that it's related to the delay time between reading and writing to a DRAM module. Usually when a CPU reads, and then writes to RAM, there's a delay time to switch between the two modes. Reducing the RW/WR delay reduces the turnaround time, and thus improve system performance. But if your DRAM module can't handle the faster turnaround time, your system may become unstable.

I know that's a lousy explanation, and a lot of hand-waving argument there, but that's... the gist of things. If anyone else can provide a more detailed explanation/correction, feel free to do so :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Originally posted by kairi00

I know that's a lousy explanation, and a lot of hand-waving argument there, but that's... the gist of things. If anyone else can provide a more detailed explanation/correction, feel free to do so :)
No, that's pretty ok, thanks for your time!! I could really understand. I had a bit of "industrial electronic" a few years ago, and it involved computers as well. ;)

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by kairi00
For optimal performance, you'd want to disable WR delay and set RW delay to 0. However, this may cause system instability if your DRAM module cannot handle this.

Suggestion:
Disable WR delay. If your system's stable, slowly reduce RW delay... stop only when you encounter instability...

Thanks alot :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts