7121 - 7130 of 7130 Posts

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I preferred the Jack Nickelson joker...

I liked Heath Ledgers, just not his Joker,,,

Reactions: Frankie Reilly

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Star Wars 9

The movie exhibits symptoms of ADD, but the performances were far better than the last two films. Adam Driver was fantastic, really put in some great work and Daisy Ridley was super likeable.

It's not a good film, it's messy, rushed, tries to do too much, hard to follow action, but the production value is insanely good. Some of the imagery that wasn't rushed was genuinely spectacular and thrilling to experience on the big screen.

If it cut 1/3 of what it tried to do and was better sprinkled through the last 2 movies it could have been a great trilogy, but it's a shame that it ended up in the state that it did, a confusing and misguided adventure that really didn't achieve too much.

Still, it's Star Wars so it's fun.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I love you, now die. 10/10

It's a two part documentary about two teenagers: Michelle Carter, who encouraged her long-distance boyfriend Conrad Roy to kill himself several years ago. Now, I had only ever heard the mainstream reports of this story when it was happening. Just a whole bunch of the "This girl is evil!" type narratives. Even with just that information, I thought that she should have been found innocent (legally speaking). She didn't kill him. He had every chance to ignore her. To get help, but he continued talking to someone who told him to kill himself. I believe it should qualify as free speech to tell someone to kill themselves, even if it's a fucked up thing to do.

When she was found guilty, I found it a bit absurd from a legal standpoint, but going with the "She's an evil bitch" narrative the news had been broadcasting, I didn't find myself that upset.

That's where this documentary comes in. It presented all sorts of evidence the mainstream news never mentioned or only quickly glossed over. Conroy had been talking about (and attempting) suicide for several months and she was actively trying to convince him not to until fairly recently before his death when she started to tell him to do it. "I'm going to kill myself", "No, please don't", "I'm gonna kill myself", "No..." repeat that a few dozens times and as a confused teenager who isn't equipped to properly deal with that situation, you might find yourself thinking that maybe suicide really IS the best option for him.

There is also the fact that they were both on psychiatric medication, Michelle only recently switching to a new type before she switched her tone about him killing himself. There is quite a bit of debate on what effect psychiatric drugs have on people's mental states - especially in younger people whose brains have yet to fully develop.

There's a lot of details about her personal life that is too much to write about here, but it's clear that they were both deeply broken people, and I honestly don't feel it's right to consider Michelle a murderer. Doing a little bit of internal reflection of how life was as a teenager, I could see a situation where I could end up in the same situation as either Michelle or Conroy. It's easy for adults to forget what it's like to be a teenager and how often you find yourself unable to properly deal with emotions.

My opinion is that Michelle was a broken person. She is probably more broken now. She should have been provided the psychiatric help she so deeply needs rather than being sent to prison.

Also I can't help but wondering about the parenting for all involved. How can your kids be so messed up and you seemingly not have a clue?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Star Wars Episode IX 8.5/10

I will watch the 3rd Star Was Trilogy as it ended decently compared to the mess of 7 and 8.

It wasn't great but it was better than the previous 2 movies.

Underwater 8.0/10

A decent underwater scare fest that is good but not great. Trying to survive and escape movie with people in their underwear during some scenes, a bit of gore, evil big business. The ending was a bit easy to tell.

I enjoyed both movies enough to want to get them.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,274 Posts
I preferred the Jack Nickelson joker...

I liked Heath Ledgers, just not his Joker,,,
I've yet to see a good Joker portrayal. Mark Hamill was the closest, even though it was only voice acting, it was brilliant. Heath Ledger was the weakest IMO.

7121 - 7130 of 7130 Posts