Next Generation Emulation banner

7101 - 7120 of 7129 Posts

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,086 Posts
Title: Avengers Endgame ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154796 )

Rate: 14/20

Plot: 2.5/4
Oh, well, part of the journey is the end. And Endgame won't try to embellish this end with a great scenario. The plot is even sometimes confusing and you can feel they are blatantly taking the spectator for an idiot using big words and/or empty fancy theories. It's far too obvious the explanations are not explanations, rather filler statements just to say "Hey, we tried to look scientific, buddy". They could have scrapped most of the science bullsh** ( roughly 30 minutes of the movie ) and added more deepness elsewhere. For the rest, it's easy to sum it up: "Heroes are going to find a way to vanquish the villain", so nothing spectacular here, especially for a Marvel Movie.

Characters: 2.5/4
Something feels odd with the characters. Some are overused, others underused, others feel completely out of character. Bruce Banner ( Mark Ruffalo ) is a good example. It seems like they didn't really know what to do with him. His new hybrid form isn't used enough to generate any kind of interesting dynamic. He is just a bigger version of Banner, and seems to just be a placeholder for a particular moment in the movie. The same for Nebula ( Karen Gillian ). She was fierce and was ready to do anything to destroy her father, now she is nearly a complete candy bubble-gum girl, but with a sad face. And yes, she's so also a placeholder for justifying some plot elements. Unfortunately, this is like that for a lot our beloved avengers. I won't talk about Thanos, who has lost at least half of the great aura he had previously. To sum it up: So much WASTED potential...

Ambiance : 2.5/4
Yeah, even the ambiance is underwhelming. The main issue ? TOO MUCH USELESS DAMN SCIENCE and NOSTALGIA MOMENTS sucking up the energetic pace we had in Infinity War. I, you, anyone in fact, don't give a damn. We don't need details about what they are going to use, how long it's going to take, or how much some characters are loving/appreciating each other. We are there because we want epic battles intertwined with wisely balanced humorous/sad moments. Something Endgame barely gives you...but at the ending moments of the movie ( Yeah, that's why the movie is called "EndGame", duh ). Also, I barely smiled at some jokes or felt sad at some moments because it felt forced, out of place or even worse, predictable.

Visuals/Visual Effects: 3.5/4
Well, it's Marvel. They really produce one of the best CGI/Visual effects in the movie industry and all their design ( suits, space vessels ) are on point. The battles ? What battles ? The only great battle you will appreciate is at the endgam...I mean, the end of the movie. Yeah, the last 40 minutes. It's so disappointing you have the horrendous feeling you paid your ticket JUST to watch this part and the rest is just a BIG visual filler. Also, nothing is enough interesting visually to be remarkable. When you remember "The Winter Soldier" made by the same directors, it's a tad disappointing, if not more.

Soundtracks/Sound effects: 3/4
The score is not that epic and is a rehearsal of what is heard previously in the other Avengers' movies
. You will remember "The Avenger's theme" mainly because you have the habit of hearing it, not because it's exceptional. The only real memorable track is the "Thanos Theme" ( The music at the end of Infinity War, when Thanos sits while contemplating the garden ), especially because it fits so much the character and his personality. For the rest, Silvestri does a good job without being that memorable.

TL;DR: Endgame is a good movie....TOWARDS THE END OF THE MOVIE. They got lazy. They knew people would pay to watch the movie, whatever would happen. I didn't go to the theater with very high expectations, but if you do, there is a risk you finish disappointed. Endgame could, no, should have been better, especially after the greatness of Infinity War.

·
retired
8,103 Posts
Avengers Endgame, 8/8

I think enough has been said about this movie but here're some of my thoughts. I know a few friends who watched this film in theater for a few more times but I only needed one seating to get everything I need. Overall it is an enjoyable film with great visual, but I just wish it was written better, I do not appreciate the whole
time travel
thing, it only cause chaos and confusion but I guess that is up for debate.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Paranormal Activities.

It was boring in the beginning, the leading man was an idiot. The ending was interesting.

I hope the sequels are better.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,822 Posts
Hereditary

For a while I felt like I was watching a Kubrick film, a horror movie that at times feels like a throw back to those of the late 70's and 80's, it unwittingly lures you into a slow paced film about mental illness and grief after a horrendous accident that is equally disturbing for the viewer as it is for the characters in the movie. It's been a long time since I've felt unsettled after a movie and this one really left me feeling like I was punched in the heart.

The script is very well put together in how it hides the nastiness in plain view, naturally using our inquisitive nature to work with the psychology of the mother in the film (played by the legendary Toni Collette), that being said when the veil is lifted and we get the final picture it is far more terrifying that what we thought the ending would be.

It really is a great film that almost covers it's plot points neatly, there's enough level of intrigue and interpretation to make your time feel worth while, while still being direct enough that your presumptions are more than likely correct by the end. It's a puzzle that is equally disturbing and fascinating.

Outstanding, definitely put this on your watch list my friends.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Just watched Captain Marvel:

And i really, really loved it, the main character was nice, she was no miss univeserse but she was nice, she had a unique charm which makes me think now that there's nobody better fit for this version of Captain Marvel. The plot was pretty good for this type of movie, luckily the trailers didn't reveal nothing about the main plot (like it happens a lot of the time), the comedy was good just like with other marvel movies, actually its probably a step up, Furry was interesting, seeing sides of him never seen before. Action was also quite pleasant and the tie in with avengers, i had watched that multiple times in one go because it was way to cool of an ender. Looking forward to see her in the Avengers Endgame, overall an awesome movie.

PS: Honestly i did heard some concerning rumours about it, like how it was SJW influenced and the like, but watching it i was happy to see that's just none sense, i'm just as sick at SJW propaganda as everyone else but that doesn't mean that a movie of with woman MC where the struggles when enlisting as a Air force pilot due to sex are to be blown away, women did went through such struggles after all, and that doesn't mean that just showing a bit of it automatically makes it SJW propaganda... Just because SJW's exaggerated and create problems out of anything doesn't mean that some problems didn't existed or exist...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I thought the Glorth stole the show. I even laughed at the 2nd ending and wanted him in the final Avengers movie, which didn't happen.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,885 Posts
The Joker 0/10

I was promised a hot topic movie on incels and white pride issues to the level it would inspire riots and mega shootings.
FALSE.ADVERTISING. The Joker had zero elements to it that were related to either point. Better Call Saul meets a "mentally ill" man.

It was some sort of brain damage tourettes

All the press and review outlets that spewed this incel, race baiting garbage are outright liars and I don't think they even watched the film.
Take their names, build a database of liars out to divide people.

·
retired
8,103 Posts
El Camino, A Breaking Bad Movie: 6/10

Whiles Walt/Heisenberg's ending is super epic, Jesse's "Felina" is a tad underwhelming.

Firstly, when many important plot points happened just by chance or coincidence, it just screams bad writing. For example, Jesse finds the money by chance, AND coincidentally, bad guys just happen to walk in the moment he finds the money. Seriously, I don't remember seeing stuff like this in the original Breaking Bad series.

2ndly, there is no intimidating antagonist, Neil is a joke compared to any villains from the original series. So I guess Todd is the intimidating one then? Probably, but coming from just watching the fifth season of BB last week I can't help but keep bursting out laughing every time I see how much weight he has gained, it is so distracting besides, we all know he's fkin dead.

So Walt have a cameo in the movie, which is great, but he looks weird and his mustache is a bit off! i understand it is not fair to have Bryan shaving his head to reprise the role for a couple of minutes. How about getting him a better bald cap? Or maybe hire some better make up or CGI artist to do the magic?

All these just shows how little efforts were put into making this movie, now don't get me wrong, Aaron Paul is great as Jesse, but when the movie has BB in its title, I expect BB kind of writing, the story just doesn't cut it, which is a shame.

This movie feels like a cash grab, but if you are a fan of BB and you want a closure on Jesse's story and you can take whatever that is thrown at you, watch it.

·
Thiccachu (Chubbychu AKA Pikachu-bby/Pikachu-BBW)
3,676 Posts
At least one who didn't like it like me. "Far from Home" is however far better.
I watched Far From Home less than a week ago and I couldn't disagree more. Homecoming was superior for me, and Far From Home just came off as weak and juvenile, like a Disney movie from the early 2000s.

·
4,086 Posts
Terminator: Dark Fate ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6450804 )

My rate: 13/20

Plot: 2.5/4
You thought they would change the formula ? You thought it would be a bit different ? Well, not really. You still have a Terminator which is there to terminate the "savior" of the future. But this time, this savior is female. The underlying message is surfing on the current era of feminism: "The future is female". Well, at least, they tried as hard as they could to not stuff it blatantly in our face the whole movie, and they nearly succeeded, which is commendable. However, there is nothing original or enough memorable in the plot which really starts to be a snake biting its tail. It's great time they follow the direction "Salvation" went, if a sequel is planned.

Characters: 2.5/4
Sarah Connor is back !
Sarah Connor is back ! Well, at least, Linda Hamilton is. You can forget the aura her neurotic character had in the previous installments. She looks rather...normal, and if you think about it, that's a real pity. Grace ( Mckenzie Davis ) is fine but her backstory is told so badly you won't feel any empathy for her. The new "savior", Dani Ramos, seems a bit forced in the story and you'll neither hate her or neither like her. It's like they wanted an all female team who would appeal to...feminists viewers. And the Killer Terminator ? I never felt he could cause any real threat like the T-1000, while far better than John "I spew too much bullshit" T-3000. The Rev9 was sure designed better, but never really uses its ability to split really cleverly. A bit of a waste.

Ambiance : 2.5/4
Well, the terminator ambiance slap your face...only for the first 20 minutes of the movie
. Really, I felt it a moment and I was like "Yeah, this one will nail it". However, after that, it looks more like a road movie with science-fiction inside. And a tedious one unfortunately. It lacks...refinement like in the previous opuses. You know, this kind of subtle sci-fi ambiance that dives you into thinking about the evolution of A.Is, while awakening fear and thrilling feelings about the future in the same flow...However, a good point: Dark Fate is largely better than the "teddy bear" Genisys, especially concerning the humor ( The part when you discover what a T-800 does when it has no more goal is rather funny ).

Visuals/Visual Effects: 3/4
Don't rely on the trailers for this one. They largely polished the VFX shots for the released movie
. However, unless Terminator 2, there is nothing visually memorable with Dark Fate. They tried to stuff "big badaboom" sequences at the end, but it's not really entertaining and seems to be mainly there to justify the VFX budget. One dark point is that it's sometimes justly too dark and another one is you can feel Tim Miller doesn't have the mastery of James Cameron for filming. To summarize: No scene of Dark Fate succeed to reach the level of the last pursuit one in helicopter of the second opus....

Soundtracks/Sound effects: 2.5/4
What is the problem with the good old Fiedel theme they SO refuse to completely use it in the sequels ?
It's too dark ? It's too rehearsed ? What ? Dammit, it's a CLASSIC. USE IT ! Like for Genisys, they NEVER offer you the pleasure to ear it completely. And for the rest of the compositions ? Let me check...JUNKIE XL ?????? AGAIN ? What ? Is it because his paycheck is rather affordable ? Yeah, you bet it, Dark Fate has no memorable tracks either.

TL;DR: Is Dark Fate Better than Genisys ? YES. Is Dark Fate as good as Terminator 2 ? NO. It's more than average, sure, but still lacks the tremendous impact the previous movies of the franchise had. Don't go in the theater with great expectations and you may enjoy it.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,822 Posts
God damnit the terminator series is complete and utter shit if the year production date doesn't start with 19.

The same fucking story over and over told worse and worse. It's like reheating a gas station burrito, leaving it on the bench over night and reheating it again the next day.

·
retired
8,103 Posts
Joker 8/10

It's a great watch but putting this into the DC universe feels a bit far fetched, the film will work with of without involving the wayne's family, which is like the only thing connect this story to DC besides,

This Joker only kills people who have wronged him.

·
4,086 Posts
Joker 8/10

It's a great watch but putting this into the DC universe feels a bit far fetched, the film will work with of without involving the wayne's family, which is like the only thing connect this story to DC besides,

This Joker only kills people who have wronged him.
My main issue with the movie is that it's NOT in the DCEU. A wasted masterpiece.

7101 - 7120 of 7129 Posts