Next Generation Emulation banner

7081 - 7100 of 7130 Posts

·
Thiccachu (Chubbychu AKA Pikachu-bby/Pikachu-BBW)
3,677 Posts
Aquaman: 7/10

"Show-off. I could've just peed on it."

Aquaman was easily, without doubt, the movie I anticipated the most in 2018. A little bit before 2018 as well. Also the best movie in the DCEU, in my humble opinion, but far from excellent. I can't say I was disappointed, and I can't say I was blown away.

I was impressed.

I was as well pleased to see Aquaman sticking somewhat to the formula that Wonder Woman and Justice League incorporated. Away from the droll, dark alleys of early DCEU; into a bit of humour and fun and saturated colours.

Speaking of colour, Aquaman was very visually pleasing. The cinematography was excellent, and possibly the best technical part of the film. A lot of amazing shots and frames could be pulled from Aquaman, and I mean a lot. Wallpaper worthy.
Such cinematographic excellence in a movie that takes place mostly underwater is partly attributable to the excellent visual effects. Very good CGI, and it was hard to catch CGI doubles, but you could if you looked hard enough.

Let's talk about the performances though. Jason Momoa comes in with the Aquaman charm he showed us in Justice League, so no surprise there. My hat is off to Patrick Wilson however, who so appropriately portrayed Orm - exactly as I might have expected a live-action Orm to be, based on the animated counterpart in Throne of Atlantis. The performances were spectacular, but Wilson took the crown for me. And of course, Julie Andrews was somehow just amazing, despite her role. Willem Dafoe is good in everything.
Black Manta was amazing too. One of the most formidable villains DC has seen. At least, without being a god.

The action sequences were spectacular. Absolutely spectacular. One of the better parts of the movie. There was a lot of use of dynamic camera, mostly turntable, and very little rumble camera which is always welcome. Despite such dynamic framing, the action was smooth and engrossing, and the choreography was clean. Particularly that first fight scene. Excellent.

The story was rather straightforward, linear, I might even say unexceptional. A less generic plot might have warranted a higher rating, but this was rather basic. It was an origin-story in some form, but that still doesn't excuse it.
The humour was hit-and-miss. DC still lacks the potency that Marvel movies have when it comes to jokes. I can't say I was blown away by any of them, unfortunately. I'll consider this growth though.

The score was alright. There was a part with synth when the characters were underwater, and that might have been nice if they maintained the use of that. Some parts of the score sounded out-of-place. Like something out of a children's movie. Particularly in the desert scenes. The soundtrack was nice too, except that one choice. Yes. That one.

All in all, Aquaman was fun. Great fun, the best movie in the DCEU, but merely a good superhero movie. I recommend it, it's definitely not a waste of time. Watch it, if just for the action sequences and the absolute beauty of that Trench scene.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,087 Posts
Title: The Predator ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829266 )

Rate: 11/20

Let's start by the plot. It's weak. You have two macguffin: One for the humans, revealed at the end, and one for the predators. The one for the Predators is SO STUPID you'll ask yourself if the plot writers weren't under heavy drugs. For the humans, it's less moronic, but believe me, if you liked the first two movies of the franchise, you will facepalm hard, as it is SO out of the Predators way to think and behave.

The characters ? Wait. I'm searching at least one who is likeable....There are NONE. NONE OF THE CHARACTERS ARE LIKEABLE. NONE. Really. The main one, played by Boyd Holbrook, try as hard as he can to be badass; his autistic son ( who shouldn't have had a secondary role ) will make you want to slap his face every second he appears in the movie ( and his acting skills are bad BTW ). And let's finish with the worse one: Olivia Munn. Her character is totally NONSENSICAL, surely introduced to please SJWs who want to see empowered women in movies ( That's not how you portray one, dammit ). In less than twenty minutes, she goes from simple scientist to fearless soldier, with NO TRAINING. WTF ? At least Leona Cantrell, the woman cop of the second opus, was likable and Maria Alonso was believable in her role.

The Predators ? What ? You really think they are saving anything here ? You wish. They are now stupid killers running freely in the streets and their cloaking ability is rendered accessory in the movie, if not completely useless.

You do remember the first two movies ? Where there was suspense because of the cat/mouse game played with the Predator ? Where there was subtle horror and fear not because of the blood and special effects, but because they let you imagine how the Predator kills his victims and how horrendous their death would have been ? ( The scene where Billy faced the Predator in the first one for example ? ). All this great ambiance is now GONE. No suspense, no mystery, nothing. The humor of the movie is also very misplaced and cries "Parody" more than anything else. Believe me, you will be disappointed.

The main theme of the saga is at least back ( for the beginning ), but it doesn't fit the movie at all and the rest of the soundtrack is either bad or annoyingly generic. I can't believe Henry Jackman is behind the score ( Remember the fantastic soundtrack of "X-Men First Class" ? Yes, that's the same guy ). And to finish, the visual effects ( especially the bloody ones ) are sometimes so exaggerated you'll wonder if you are not actually watching a damn parody.

TL;DR: The Predator is a failed reboot that is a true disgrace to the entire saga. Even "Alien VS Predator" is better than this mess of a movie. I could rate it worse, but in all fairness, there are far worse movies than that. But it is clear it is a bad Predator movie. I wonder how Disney will handle the potential sequels ( * sigh * ).

·
4,087 Posts
Title: Black Panther ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683 )

Plot: 2.5/4
Let's start by the plot. It's a Marvel movie, what did you expect ? Nothing outstanding here. The good guy has to vanquish the evil one as usually. On this part, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was better. Indeed, apart the fact the "game field" is african, nothing big is introduced. The other weakness is the way they depict the african culture and way of thinking through technology ( "Yeah, africans are still barbarian people even with technology" ), and despite being true on some aspects, it can be pretty controversial when you sit and think about it.

Characters: 3/4
I would have rated it less, but Shuri saves the day here. Every scene she's in, she's a true wonder, and you won't be able to not smile, as her character is very likeable. Simply the mascot of the movie ! Chadewick Boseman is convincing in his role and the main antagonist, played by Michael B.Jordan, too. Kudos to Andy Serkis, shining as the secondary antagonist. He should have had a bigger role ! The others characters are easily quickly forgotten or boring ( like the queen mother or Zuri, the Shaman ) because they simply lack charisma and aura.

Ambiance : 3/4
Well, is there really any suspense ? You wish. You already know where it's going to finish. The movie is however fun and interesting through the relations of the characters ( The dynamics between the different tribes for example ). In addition to that, the usual Marvel jokes are still good. To finish, "Black Panther" is pretty generous concerning the main hero universe and powers ( in comparison of Doctor Strange which was annoyingly blurry on this point ).

Visuals/Visual Effects: 3.5/4
The movie is a gem to watch
: the rich and well chosen colors, the large beautiful camera plans...The trip to the fictional country which is the Wakanda is simply a feast for the eyes. Concerning the rest, it's a Marvel movie, so difficult to be disappointed about the actions scenes. The big issue is the VISIBLE overused GCI ( so no full blown 4 on 4 for this point ). You can LITERALLY feel it in some scenes, especially the last one. Yeah, reminds me of the good days of the Mummy 2 GCI.

Soundtracks/Sound effects: 3/4
I think the Marvel Universe lacks one thing: Great Soundtracks
. The only ones that changed that were GOTG and its sequel. Unfortunately, "Black Panther" won't be the third outsider. I can't even really remember the main movie's theme. It's great time Marvel get composers like Hans Zimmer or Steve Jablonsky. They largely have the means. The rating goes mainly for the Kendrick Lamar/SZA ending song, "All the stars".

Final Rate: 15/20: Black Panther is a good Marvel movie, but the plot and too many characters are too generic to consider it's top notch. They also used too much CGI at some places. Also, the movie has a very controversial way to depict african culture, a way I don't agree with, being black myself.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Hey Red I saw it as Africans with tech but still grounded with nature. From the powers coming from the tree fruit to the jokes that they are not cannibals.
They made a balance of keeping traditions and honoring their ancestors while still using new technology.

Would like to hear more about your point of view.

·
4,087 Posts
Hey Red I saw it as Africans with tech but still grounded with nature. From the powers coming from the tree fruit to the jokes that they are not cannibals.
They made a balance of keeping traditions and honoring their ancestors while still using new technology.

Would like to hear more about your point of view.
OK. In this case:

My POV is "Black Panther" is mainly sending the message: "Even with technology, african culture stays barbaric, idiotic and struggles to help its own people.". Be advised it is going to be long. I will emphasize four points in the movie that made me want to punch the director and screenwriters in the throat ( if there are spoilers, I will hide them ):

1. In the first minutes of the movie,
    T'chaka, the father of T'challa, kills his brother, then abandon his nephew Erik, now orphan, with NO EXPLANATIONS, knowing Erik has royal blood. What kind of twisted uncle is that ? And, dammit, you are equipped with a suit able to deflect bullets and you have a drug in your veins giving you superior strength and speed over enemies, and you are still not able to SPARE cleverly lives ? Especially the one of YOUR brother ? T'chaka could have easily disarmed and restrained N'jobu while saving Zuri, especially with all the technology at his disposal. He also could have taken his nephew back to the Wakanda. But no, he has chosen the most barbaric way to fix a matter, a very important FAMILY matter BTW.
    To finish, this is also lazy poor writing for justifying Killmonger later actions.

2. Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to the most stupid way to choose a king: a fight to the death. Or how to let a bloodthirsty dictator take the throne, and the kingdom enter eras of possible instability and war. WTF ? What the hell all the technology developed by Shuri and her predecessors serve for ? Wasn't there a more clever way to insure access to one of the most critical position of Wakanda while naturally sparring important personalities lives ? This is utterly stupid. The purpose of technology is also to help you getting rid of stupid traditions, these traditions being african or not. How come Wakandans couldn't see that, their nation being more than two hundred years technologically advanced than the rest of the world ?

3. In a scene of the movie,
    Ulysses Klaue ( Andy Serkis ), talking with Erik, exposes how barbaric were the wakandans with him, showing the scars due to his torture sessions. I can understand he is a Vibranium robber and a bastard. I also understand he killed wakandans during his theft sessions. But I cannot understand the Wakanda laws. An advanced technology civilisation has NO CENTRALIZED justice system preventing torture and murder BEFORE a judgment. I guess there is no police too. I don't say the actual justice system is fair or good but why does the wakanda culture looks SO primitive in this domain despite the years of supposed advancement given by the vibranium ?

4. At the end of the movie,
    T'challa comes back to the US, telling he wants to buy the building where his uncle was killed so he can help kids overthere. WTF ? Really ? Could you start please with the countries just next to the Wakanda ? Or you cannot ? I don't know why the heck you would go abroad for helping, knowing there is already a lot of work to do just under your nose, on your fu***** own continent. What ? African kids aren't cool enough ?
    Or did all the technology and money he has at his disposal froze his brain ? Astonishingly stupid and lazy writing at its finest.
And there are other points I also despise ( I won't talk about the stupid political POVs of Killmonger and his father that made me roll eyes ) but I'm not here to rewrite the movie. For me, "Black Panther" is akwardly themed and won't really help the black communities seeing their culture as recognized and specifically how to improve it upon its blatant flaws. In addition of making money, that should have been one of the goals of the director and his staff and they failed, for me at least. About this point, "Get Out" of Jordan Peele did a far better job and deserve far more credits and recognition, in addition to the simple fact it is a very good thriller/horror movie.

·
retired
8,103 Posts
A Star is Born 2018, 9/10

So this is a random film I picked up watching today and it blew me away!

I had no knowledge about this film, only watched it because it's in my "highly rated films" list, I don't remember this film showing in my local theaters. I know Bradley Cooper is in this but I didn't know he directed it, heck I have no idea it stars Lady Gaga and I didn't recognize her until she sings her songs(that freaking song that is on radio all days and I didn't know it's from a movie)! WTF? And she's amazing, so is Cooper, their chemistry and acting in this is so genuine at times I forgot I was watching a flick.

Also, not knowing this film being the forth remake of a classic story, the ending really caught me off guard, I feel devastated after watching this.

It's good, watch it.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,825 Posts
Black Panther (4k HDR)

I've been going cold on Marvel's efforts over the past few years and this is another entry that has reinforced my position. I feel they've become visually overly stimulating with not enough emphasis on pacing or telling a coherent story or using the characters to their proper potential. The origin story is as cookie cutter as it can be.

This felt a bit like that but for the most part it's an enjoyable, if forgettable film. I kind of dig the concept about the theory of Wakanda, a technological paradise with a thriving community, but it's somewhat xenophobic nature of not wanting to help outsiders (especially their own people) makes them come off as a bit hypocritical. The struggle to find the best way to handle their long term mentality should make this a very entertaining film.

Some of it is very good, it does an ok job of having the cast, both hero and villain have such staunchly contrasting ideals conceived from their position in life, but the movie jumps around a bit too much with erratic editing, some questionable pacing and some wooden acting.

Chadwick Boseman was alright here, but to be honest I think the director struggled to get the best from him. He was a great addition in Avengers, however here his performance ranges from awkward to ok at best. He's by far and large likeable, just a bit dry on the charisma front.

Michael B Jordan was great in his cockyness but again, I think the director struggled to get the concept of the character nailed down enough. As a tragic villain, he's again a bit dry and one dimensional with personality swings not being convincing enough. However he is entertaining.

Danai Gurira however was a show stealer, she had the charisma, the fierce look and did an excellent job supporting the main cast and is definitely one of the highlights of the film.

The biggest issue is the aforementioned editing, too often the director will cut too quickly after a joke or quip and not let the humour hang out for bit to leave a strong impact. For such a long film, it felt rushed and a bit uncomfortable.

-----

In the end it's a fun film to watch with much to like, however it has many issues that prevent it from differing it from it's Marvel brothers and sisters, leaving it a bit aenemic in delivering it's concept and too familiar to be enjoyable. Another example of focus group testing and marketing interfering with artistic expression. With a much smaller budget, and less (bad) CG heavy action scenes this could have been something else. Marvel still struggles to deliver.

·
3,677 Posts
Blade Runner 2049: 9/10

"Sometimes to love someone, you got to be a stranger."

My lord, my lord. If I can't say that I was taken back. I never expected this sequel to be this good. Oh so freaking good. Coming off watching Incendies, I must praise Villeneuve for knowing his craft.

The runtime was long. It had a lot to tell, but it was long. That's my only gripe. Now on to the good stuff.

I absolutely LOVE the original Blade Runner. One of the best movies I've ever watched. I thought that this sequel was somewhat unnecessary when the first trailer dropped, but having just finished it 5 minutes ago, I must eat my words.

First of all, Ryan Gosling was amazing. The depth to his performance was critical to making this movie carry the way it did. Every single performance was amazing, and I was very surprised by Dave Bautista. I can't lie. I never thought he could do it that well.

The score was erratic, and loud; industrial. It's exactly what it was meant to be, and the essence of the world was captured in it.
The cinematography. Masterful, that's all I can say. Purely masterful. And then the colours.
The story. Intelligent and nuanced. It wasn't predictable, it wasn't simple. It was just perfect.

I prefer the original. But this is so close. So very close.
The world that was crafted in this movie leaves so much more to be discovered. I just want to know, what else is there in this future?

A definite recommendation. Watch the original, and then watch this. This, along with its predecessor, will hold up to the test of time solidly, as some of the absolute best, if not the absolute best, Sci-Fi movies ever.

·
4,087 Posts
^
The Blade Runner sequel lacked the dreamlike moments of the first opus. Also, the first movie let you imagine what could be a lot of elements/motivations without telling/showing you them. Example: What are the real motivations of Gaff ? Could he be a Replicant ?

The sequel also lacked iconic scenes/moments like the Deckard-Batty showdown.

In fact, even if I like Denis Villeneuve's work, The sequel disappointed me. I really think they shouldn't have done it.

·
3,677 Posts
^
The Blade Runner sequel lacked the dreamlike moments of the first opus. Also, the first movie let you imagine what could be a lot of elements/motivations without telling/showing you them. Example: What are the real motivations of Gaff ? Could he be a Replicant ?

The sequel also lacked iconic scenes/moments like the Deckard-Batty showdown.

In fact, even if I like Denis Villeneuve's work, The sequel disappointed me. I really think they shouldn't have done it.
I can agree that when put beside the first one, it fails to capture a lot of the essence that made the first so iconic. This one removes all the mystery and pretty much feeds you the answers. There's very little wondering whether someone is a replicant or not.
Yes, the ending to Blade Runner is still one of my absolute favourites. And the Tears in Rain monologue's final lines is my absolute favourite movie quote.

I do think that this movie didn't do badly, especially trying to live up to the first. It was gorgeous, and the performances were very good. The world seemed a lot more tame than in the original though, and like you've mentioned, it didn't really carry the essence of the first.

·
4,087 Posts
Title: Alita Battle Angel ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086 )

Plot: 3/4
Well, let's say it right now: Do not look for anything complex about the movie's plot. That's not where it shines. In fact, especially if you are a fan of the manga, you'll feel the scenario is "multi level", every one of them with shadowy areas which makes you wonder a lot of interesting questions. it's a entry to a more richer universe, which Alita's is just a part of. And Cameron made a very nice work condensing the first levels in a two hours movie. To summarize, the plot is simple, but if you think it's just the tip of a more gigantic iceberg, you are right.

Characters: 3.5/4
At first, I really thought Roza Salazar would have difficulties portraying a so charismatic character like Alita. I couldn't be more wrong. She is just wonderful. From her enormous compassion till her cold determination, Salazar got everything right. Christopher Waltz and Jennifer Connelly also portrayed their respective character nicely, especially Connelly, as you can constantly feel her ambivalent position towards her actions. However, Grewishka becomes unidimensional here, so less interesting than Makaku, his manga counterpart. To finish, I really liked the way they treated Hugo, less fragile and more grounded than his paper version.

Ambiance : 2.5/4
In the manga, you could easily understood why people would want to leave Iron City to go to Zalem
: the life conditions are really hard and the streets are full of crazy criminals that could kill you at the light of the day. In the movie, this is just told, NOT SHOWN. You do not feel the struggle of the situation Iron City inhabitants suffer every day. However, kudos to Rodriguez and Cameron for the nice management of the love story, one of the rare that does not destroy the atmosphere and really sucks you in. The "cyborg" sci-fi development is nice, but not deeper enough, but it's understandable.

Visuals/Visual Effects: 4/4
The movie visuals are simply BEAU-TI-FUL-LY STUNNING
. As for "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes", you will have REAL difficulties differentiate CGI elements from their real counterparts. The fights are nicely choreographed and some scenes are SO well done you will surprise yourself putting back your jaw at its former place ( The battle scene on the moon and the scene showing the Zalem assault are two of them ). Let's say it now: Alita Battle Angel is a serious contender for best visuals at the 2020 Oscars. I doubt that even Avengers:Endgame could top this.

Soundtracks/Sound effects: 3/4
Excuse me, Cameron, Rodriguez, but...Why JunkieXL ? is there a single movie where Tom Holkenborg ( his real name ) did a recognizable theme ? So what made you think, guys, he could do one for Alita Battle Angel ? Dammit, the movie really deserved a badass soundtrack ! and JunkieXL is not the one that should have been chosen for it ! Anyway, with Black Panther, this is the second movie that has a nice ending lyrical song, IMO. Thanks to Dua Lipa, the OST finishes on a good note.

Final Rate: 16/20: Alita Battle Angel has a less strong atmosphere than in the manga, but the fantastic performance of the main casting, its great stunning visuals and the fact the story is grounded on a very rich universe can convince you it's a must to watch, you being a fan or not. Too bad we will surely never see a sequel to it, as it's bombing at the box office.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Alita Battle Angel 9/10
I liked this movie, way more than I thought I would. The one thing everyone was worried about was the best thing in this movie - Alita herself. Rosa Saladar did a fantastic job. The incredible CGI, motion capture coupled with the fact that Alita is playing a full cyborg i.e "almost human" - it all just worked. Overall the VFX are stunning the plot itself is easy to follow, it was interesting seeing how they went about adapting various storylines from the manga while setting up future sequels (which unfortunately might not happen). I was surprised by many of changes made to the other characters in adapting the source material to live action, though to my surprise some of changes were actually pulls from the animated OVA which I have never seen before eg the characters Grewiska (Jackie Earl Hayley) and Chiren (Jennifer Connely) are original creations from the animation not the manga. That didn't diminish my enjoyment of the movie.
Here's hoping Avatar 2 makes enough money that will convince the studio to highlight a second Alita movie.

·
3,677 Posts
Bohemian Rhapsody: 7/10

"What on earth is it about? Scaramouche? Galileo? Beelzebub? And that Ismallah business?"

It took me long enough to finally watch this, a large part of that due to the extremely mixed reactions I had seen bouncing around following the theatrical release of this movie. Of course, a supposed Oscar worthy performance, an Oscar for editing, and two for sound work moved this up my list.

First things first, Rami Malek was quite exceptional in his role. He, to the best of my knowledge, encapsulated the personal of the legend Freddie Mercury, and I was impressed. A very good showing. All around of course, were exceptional acts, and I had no hold-up regarding the performative aspect.

Let's move to the editing, because this is where my main complaint lies. Why was the need to show the reactions of any of the band members so powerful that over in the cutting room they felt the need to cut away from frames after less than a second on screen? It was invasive. It caught my eye as the story began to roll out, I would have some minutes of respite, and suddenly I would notice it again. Almost always to show the faces of the band members. How it won that Oscar, I'm not sure. To be fair, there were some clever pieces of editing, particularly as they begin to embark on worldwide tours, and there is this clever mintage of superimposed shots. I'll give them that much. Still not enough for that statuette in my opinion.

Obviously based on true events, the story was brought to screen in a pleasing enough manner. I can't complain. The climax was quite that, and I absolutely loved it. It was lovely watching the process of some of the greatest hits, and even if some of them might not be entirely true (a constant consequence of biopics), they were fun and entertaining in all. Cinematography was above average, and I liked a good few of the shots, but I felt that there was an overreliance on some techniques, like focusing on the Aviators, or faces in profile. But that might just be me.

Bohemian Rhapsody provides a succinct look at the long and storied history of one of the greatest bands ever, and even though it might not be the best compiled biopic I've watched, it's substantially entertaining. I'd recommend.

The Favourite: 8/10

" They shit in the streets around here. Political commentary they call it."

The first half of this movie was brilliant. Dark comedy, or black comedy, they call it. I'm a fan of films that employ that, but there was something to the comedy in this that fails to be defined by just that. Perhaps I can call it wit, or cynicism, but whatever it was, it was brilliant. I found myself laughing quite frequently at the snark of some of the characters.
I'm not a fan of period pieces, and the smokescreen over my eyes cleared out oh so slightly. The second half of this movie slowed down for me. The humour was less evident, and though it didn't have any failings, I had gotten used to its presence and it's relative scarcity was a disappointment.

The leads all gave performances befitting their roles as ladies of noble birth. Olivia Colman was an absolute standout, and I'd say that the best performances are the ones that convince you that there's no acting. This was one of them. From what I've gleaned so far, the Oscar found its way to the right hands.
Production design, costume design, hairstyling, makeup. All brilliantly executed, and I'd say it's a shame that it didn't pick up recognition, asides nominations, for any of them.

Lanthimos brought a beautiful plot to screen. I observed some interesting things regarding the camera work which I felt to be quite exceptional. The use of fish-eye lenses was interesting, yet effective. Characters who were the subject of the shot were almost always perfectly centered, even as the rest of the shot lay asymmetrical. Some quick and short pans were used to focus and center on one character after another had finished speaking, and the effect was quite pleasing.

The first half of the movie had a brilliant score attached. When it did show up, you were attacked with classical instruments played in the most chaotic manner. Strings and organs performed in total anarchy, and they just perfectly bolstered whatever scene they decided to grace our ears. The second half opted for more refined classical compositions, and it worked well, after all, fortunes had changed at that point, hadn't they?

The Favourite was a fun dramatic comedy, and I don't regret giving it a viewing. If you're not a fan of period pieces, or dark comedy, then this might not be your cup of tea. Otherwise, grab some cake and enjoy this. I recommend.

Roma: 9/10

“When I was older I used to be a sailor, but I drowned in a storm.”

ACADEMY AWARD FOR BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY.

I have never seen a more cinematographically pleasing film in my life. Alfonso Cuarón worked pure and genuine magic behind the lens, and I was absolute blown away. Forget about the uniformity that the monochrome scheme bestowed upon the scenes, that was nice. But what I'm talking about are the slow panning shots, the wide landscape frames, the feeling that thought and energy went into the composition of every single frame of this movie.
I loved how during subtle rolling shots, characters in the foreground were used to tell us more, to bring life to the story beyond pointed lines in dialogue, or obvious visual cues. It was absolutely beautiful. I have never seen more perfectly composed shots in one film. This itself is a masterclass in cinematography, and the Oscar could have not been better deserved.

A review is more than just the cinematography, but despite the outstanding storytelling and the outstanding performances, the direction and cinematography just stand out as perfect. It's not hard to see why Roma is a masterpiece. The story wasn't here to hold anyone's hand. It wasn't here to teach any morals. It was here to tell a story, and it did that with such finesse that I am still taken back. Cuarón has given us a future classic, with the black and white toning to fit in perfectly.

And on the lighter side, does Cuarón have a thing for people emerging from the ocean as everything wraps up?

It starts off slow, but if you're a fan of beautifully presented dramatic masterpieces, then Roma is 100% recommended. Even if you're not, I still recommend it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984 version)

It's a fairly faithful adaption to the book (which I just recently read). My rating having read the book is 9/10. I imagine if I had not read the book it would have been like 5/10 as a lot of things would be hard to understand without the book. For a movie seven years older than myself, it has aged pretty well.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,274 Posts
I am baffled how stupid the writing in season 8 of The Game of Thrones has become. This must be the biggest letdown in recent tv history. Characters acting out of characters, pointless scenes, plot armours everywhere, and everything seems so rushed... Season 7 wasn't too good either, but season 8 is just a disaster. Good direction and special effects, but GoT was something more than a brainless pulp for masses, like MCU movies for example. It's what it has become now though, fuck logic and continuity, look how shiny it's now!

Now the same guys are out to write the new Star Wars trilogy.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
Rampage

I liked the movie. Its hard to review an over the top cliched movie that borders on Disneylike ridiculousness.

I enjoyed the movie. I tried not to make sense of the movie, but just enjoy it.

7081 - 7100 of 7130 Posts