Next Generation Emulation banner
9,581 - 9,600 of 9,617 Posts
Guilty Gear PC/Steam 6.5/10

I like the game, but I'm a Guilty Gear junkie and play single player.

The game is ok for die hard fans, but not online gamers.

The one hit insta kill that the computer can whip out at any time ruins the single player. While it may have been funny on Raiders of the Lost Ark or Spiderman, it isn't when playing a fighting game where one hit ends the game. I'm glad it was removed after the first game. It reeks cheap. Even Mortal Kombat isn't that lame with fatalities.

The newer Guilty Games are better and worth buying...Skip this one unless you're a die hard Guilty Gear fan and want the whole series.

NOTE: I only paid $3.99 for the game. So playing it a few times was worth it for me.

Mortal Kombat 11 Kombat Pack DLC 8.5 / 10 PC / Steam

I enjoy playing all 6 kharacters and played all the arcade stories plus 2 of the infinite match towers.

For $9.99 it was less than $2 a kharacter.

Doom Eternal, 8.5/10. On Ultra Violence difficulty which is hard as sh!!

I heard good things about the game. I still have to finish a Doom game so Eternal Doom would just be on my Eternal backlog. My PC probably couldn't play it.

I heard good things about the game. I still have to finish a Doom game so Eternal Doom would just be on my Eternal backlog. My PC probably couldn't play it.
The crazy part is I still haven't played Doom (2016). I'm so a$$ backwards, lol. Same situation happened to me when I beat Metro Last Light only to play Metro 2033 afterwards. I've been alternating between (2) PCs to play Doom Eternal, one w/ a GTX1070 and the other w/ a 1080TI and neither skips a beat while running on the Vulkan backend. If I'm not mistaken the dev team made Doom Eternal less resource intensive than Doom (2016). I heard a/b it from one of Digital Foundry's videos so you might wanna give the game a try if you're able to run Doom (2016) on your current rig.

Yeah, I can play Doom on my rig. I still have a gigantic backlog and would rather wait. Last month I finally decided to buy the Witcher 3 GotY on GOG and God only knows when I'll get to that or many other similar games in my backlog. At least in the last Steam/GOG summer sale I'm actually playing stuff I purchased.

Tormentor X Punisher PC/Steam 2/10

A mediocre twin stick shooter that uses exclusively a keyboard/mouse option, screams profanity every time you start a new game. I can't find any redeeming aspect to this game.

At least I only paid $1 for the game. I played it for under a half hour and now have uninstalled the game. Good riddance to garbage.

Halo 5: Guardians 7/10

I don't think it was a bad game... it looks good and the titular Guardians look pretty impressive. Gameplay is classic Halo. The story is rather short this time and isn't quite a follow-up to Halo 4 like you'd expect (although the Prometheans are there). It tends to omit a lot of the established story in Halo 4 to go for its own thing instead, which is kind of weird. The environments look very pretty and it was fun to fight alongside Arbiter on the Elite's home planet. The Warden Eternal though (fighting the same enemy over and over again), they could've skipped all that.
It makes me wonder about Halo Infinite's "spiritual reboot". I hope that game will tie up the loose ends created here. Oh, and more than half of the game you don't play as Master Chief, but I didn't mind it too much. Spartans be Spartans, I liked Halo Reach too.

The Last of Us 2 5/10

I enjoyed the gameplay and the banter, but I hated the story as the whole thing was fucking pointless.
I'm playing it now as well. It's hitting me like Red Dead 2 did... I can tell it's well made and has amazing production value... but I'm kinda slogging through okay combat to get to the actual story of characters mostly making bad decisions at this point.

I'm not that far, but my initial reaction.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition

I don't have to rate the game as is my 3rd game of the generation and after around 50 hours of pure action(extra hard mode) I finally managed to get all achievements without having to worry that a Jet is going to fly off my house ;)

The positive:
Now I can use Reshade to make the game looks incredible and runs at 60fps... do I need to say more?

The negative:
The game crashes randomly and is a little annoying at times.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition

I don't have to rate the game as is my 3rd game of the generation and after around 50 hours of pure action(extra hard mode) I finally managed to get all achievements without having to worry that a Jet is going to fly off my house ;)

The positive:
Now I can use Reshade to make the game looks incredible and runs at 60fps... do I need to say more?

The negative:
The game crashes randomly and is a little annoying at times.

View attachment 201675

View attachment 201676
lol u finished the game and the 1.01 patch came out yesterday to fix most of those crashing issues

Gunbird Steam/PC 7.5/10 (not recommended)

It's a great game for people who don't mind limited options, limited credits, a game that lasts a bit too long. You have to <Alt> Enter to get full screen. It is best appreciated by gamers who want a hard shooter with limited credits.

I play games for enjoyment, not to prove myself. I'm an older gamer and this game just frustrates me.

lol u finished the game and the 1.01 patch came out yesterday to fix most of those crashing issues
I not just finished the game but also found the secret armor, did all necessary quests and DLC as well as all achievements. The crashes were random but one every 1-2 hours so I used the chance to make a break from my daily ~8 hours playing the game (@Khelben have all the receipts and memes hahahaha)

There was an update yesterday(around 12 MB) but the game still crashed once for me.

Ghost of Tsushima: 8.5/10

The game is pretty much Horizon: Zero Dawn, except you play as a Batman Samurai in Japan.
Unfortunately, the world and the story aren't quite as interesting to explore and discover as Horizon, which is where it loses points from me.

Exploration is a big part of an open world game, it's important to make exploration fun and rewarding. For the most part, Tsushima does that very well. It gives a nice variety of goals, some of which are different from what we're used to. One way it does this is by simply focusing the graphics on the environment, the scenes, making the world stunning to see when you explore.
Other ways are by creating activities which focus on that same environment. While other games might be more action-heavy, Tsushima does a good job of breaking that pace and alternating between combat and very calm and serene scenes. You can pause for a moment to write a haiku, which is done by looking at a scene around you. You can scale up mountains to pray to shrines, which reminds me of the climbing and jumping of Horizon or Uncharted, which also shows you the scale of the world as you do so. You can go around small hidden paths, secret little nooks, by following foxes to find small hidden shrines.

All of this helps make exploration interesting and rewarding - for a while. The big difference between Tsushima and Horizon for me is the lore.
Exploring Horizon was always fun because it takes place in an unique world, exploring meant learning more about the world, which was always exciting no matter what. Since Tsushima takes place in Japan, there IS a lot of fascinating things to discover or see, but that excitement will lose some of its shine as you start to get used to it. The story was interesting, but not as interesting as Horizon for me.

The combat was fun due to just how many options and gadgets the game gives to you (Ă -la Batman), but this can also makes the combat too easy. The game did receive a quick patch adding a new difficulty, but I didn't try it, I went with the hardest originally available before patches.

Overall, it was a solid open-world game, a nice copy with a few cool tweaks of Horizon. It got me hooked enough to see through it to the end, while some games can lose me before I finish them.
The upcoming multiplayer seems interesting and I like that it's based on something more supernatural and imaginative, but I haven't tested it, and I don't see it as the main component of the game, so it wont be counted in the review.

Wasteland 3 : 9/10

This game is amazing, its currently my GOTY of 2020.

This game is as Fallout as you can get, if you are fan of the classic Fallout games, heck even if you like Bathesda's games, give this one a shot!

Once you got pass the isometric crpg nature, there is a lot to like here. Whiles the graphic style is nothing to write home about, I think it works well for the game and i love them, that aside I think most of their budget were put in the audio, the soundtracks are amazing, all of the dialogs are brilliantly voice acted and it stay consistent through out the game, you will hear some of the best voice work even on some minor characters.

The story is pretty generic at first but because of how well it is written, it has been able to keep me engaged because of the huge sense of freedom when you're taking part in the stories. Gameplay? well its an isometric crpg with xcom style battle, if you've played Wasteland 2 this feels right at home, for some reason I couldn't get myself to finish that game though. There is a lot to do here, interesting places to visit, lots of stuff to loot, about the looting, thanks god they gave us unlimited inventory space, can't remember the last time I played a game like this and not having to worry about inventory management.

The side quests are good, they reminded me of Witcher 3's side quests where each one of them adds up to the lore, maybe I'm over exaggerated but it is pretty close, and the game won't stop throwing them at you.

In conclusion, it is basically an isometric Fallout game, with the witty witting on par with the classic fallout games, but without Vaultec.

Wasteland 3: for the price I got through Kickstarter, 8.5 or maybe even 9/10.
If I had to pay full price, probably 8.

It had some great improvements over Wasteland 2, but there are a few things bothering me. Most of them are related to the story or the dialogue, rather than the gameplay.
One issue is their unyielding dedication to having no "right" answer for any problem presented to the player. They give you choices, and then each choice will have a sucky side-effect.
This isn't a bad thing in itself, where it bothers me is how there are situations where you find yourself with a very obvious solution that would please everyone, and the game still ignores it.
I know they want to go for that "gray area", but when you try to force it, it loses its impact, it stops being a gray area, and simply becomes monotone, a bit unoriginal.
I find it works better when a game has a gray message by either giving you hard choices to find that good ending (having the sucky side effect comes first, making you play it, making you DO it, and then giving you a good effect) or by allowing you to play either good or evil (which WL3 does) and having you get the ending you desire through those paths (which WL3 doesn't really do, due to undermining everything you do).

I find the concept of a gray area to be more effective when it happens while the player is playing and acting, instead of when it happens once you're done and rolling the credits.
I might be able to explain what I mean more by giving a concrete example from the game (spoilers):
A common thread is the idea of refugees needing a place to stay. The more you agree to give them refuge, the more people get mad due to the lack of space.
My first issue with this was seeing at my big empty base, with broken down structures around it, which I couldn't use to lodge them.
My second issue was when I emptied an entire town by killing a faction. My third issue was when I emptied a luxurious lodge.
Once then game ended, it said that the town I emptied stopped giving out oil due to me killing people there. Then why can't I send the refugees there, and having them supply us with oil? The place is perfect, it's the most obvious solution to our problem. The ending also pointed out that the luxurious lodge was now empty and silent, nobody using it. Once again, why leave it empty?

Something I would have appreciated more:
1) make the people I killed to empty those areas far more likable, making it harder for me to kill them in the first place. Have the game give me a clear difficult choice: do you want to kill them and solve a problem at home (sacrificing other people to save your own), or let them live and continue living with a problem at home (saving those people, but sacrificing the needs of your own).
2) give me an option to send those refugees into an expedition to live in those areas, but while warning me that doing so would be very dangerous, and would lead to the death of many of them. (Making people at home happier vs lose lives due to selfishness)
3) Let me use my resources to build my own base, or improve it. Let me choose to spend my money on resources, making my personal team weaker as a result, but turn that sacrifice into a way to help my people at large.

My second (minor) issue is with the overall atmosphere of the game/world. They followed the funny/zany aspect of Fallout/Wasteland, but I think they leaned a bit too much into it.
When the world is more realistic, mature, dark, having those funny moments help add more depth to the game. It adds funny moments of levity, and it even adds a small dose of mystery. When everything is more "real", having those otherwordly elements (ufos? celebrity cults?) feel mysterious. When the whole world is ridiculous (in a good, funny, clownish way), those moments don't really add depth, since they become the baseline. They become the standard. They're not otherwordly, they are the world.
WL3 has those moments everywhere: the world, the dialogue, the description of your items, even your followers could be a golden toaster that spits out fire.
I don't want to be a kill-joy: those things are fun. I just think they would have been even more fun had the game scaled down on some of the less interesting zany elements.
Had they kept the description of items, skills, perks and the likes straightforward and serious, finding out a golden fighting toaster would have been more surprising and remarkable. Meanwhile, removing those elements wouldn't have been a huge loss, as they didn't really add much to the game. They were average, and they reduced the impact of the more interesting funny discoveries.

The last complaint might simply be the price. I personally got the game for the low price of 20$. I got the Early Bird special (25$) and a Superbacker discount (save 5$).
Back when they developed it, they estimated the retail price to be 50$. The final, actual price is now 60$.
From my point of view, the game is worth far more than the 20$ I paid, but less than the 60$ they're charging. The game shouldn't cost as much as every AAA game. That's nearly 100 CAD over here, and that's a huge ask for a mid-sized game like this. I personally see 40 to 50$ being more reasonable: the game has good value and plenty of work went into it, but it's not a huge game either.

The Game Pass allows everyone to play the game right away, but I know games like this tend to be replayed again and again over the next decade. I would recommend using the game pass for now, and buying the game on sale in the future.

That's the problem with story tellers playing "god" and making the ending based on their own prejudices and less based on reality.

I feel The Last of Us 2 reeks of that kind of storytelling and is why some people either want nothing to do with the game/story or dislike the story.

That's the problem with story tellers playing "god" and making the ending based on their own prejudices and less based on reality.

I feel The Last of Us 2 reeks of that kind of storytelling and is why some people either want nothing to do with the game/story or dislike the story.
That's not really the issue I see with WL3. It's not about politics or opinions. I'd say the endings are based on reality: if you kill everybody in charge of oil, of course oil supplies become an issue.
TLoU2 is also a very scripted narrative game, you're not meant to make your own character and choices. It's a novel where you read about specific characters, while WL3 is a choose your own adventure book. That's where I have some issues.

WL3 is about freedom, choices and consequences. It's a huge aspect of the game, but I'm not entirely sold on the choices given. The choices are meant to empower us, to make us feel like our decisions are meaningful. But when the game fails to give us a wide range of options, when we're purposefully limited, it doesn't feel like we're given that many choices after all. It doesn't feel as meaningful, because we're picking from a limited selection, and we know we didn't get to make the decision we truly wanted to make.
I don't think the game did a terrible job either, which is why I still recommend it and personally enjoyed it, I just think it's something they can improve if they keep making more.

I understand, it's just they make the scenario to push an agenda, like a no win, and can do it no matter how absurd it may make the story. It also makes choices less meaningful or in worse cases irrelevant. It isn't always as extreme as The Last of Us 2, but it's not that good at any level...

Still some people don't mind such writing styles and it's up to gamer's to decide how it impacts their enjoyment of games using it.

9,581 - 9,600 of 9,617 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.