Next Generation Emulation banner

9521 - 9540 of 9608 Posts

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Bloodborne 9.5/10

Let me put this out of the way... Killer Instinct is THE ABSOLUTE KING! so now that we made that clear here is my new Top 5 games of the generation:

1. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
2. Bloodborne
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Zelda Breath of the Wild
5. Red Dead Redemption 2

I own Bloodborne since many years and tried the game on release but I did not spent enough time in the game and never even reached the first boss fight. Recently I thought in revisiting titles that I did not pay attention in the past and Bloodborne was one of them.

Bloodborne is a gem of this generation sadly limited by the worst thing in gaming we have today from the past and that is exclusivity. The limited hardware makes the game suffer from performance issues(even on my Pro) and game design is fantastic but is impossible at this point in time to enjoy the game in its full glory giving me another reason to hate the exclusives business even more.

As already mention the game design is glorious and From Software awesome mechanics evolved from the main series making Bloodborne and later on Sekiro the best Souls games IMO. However, there are few things to nitpick and those are the fairly dumb enemies and the vastly majority of bosses(check out the gameplay thread for my videos) are big bosses that are fairly easy to beat. In general enemies are ok but the game itself isn't as difficult as it shines at the start or as bosses show themselves. The game still manage to keep you busy and wanting more and that is why I will go for the DLC next and see what it has to offer.

At the end Bloodborne is probably not a game for everyone but without a doubt a gem of this generation with stunning level design and fantastic artistic style that now joins my top 5 list of greatest games of the generation.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Bloodborne DLC 10/10

Is the first time I rated a DLC but this one is by far the best DLC I have ever played in a game and one of the most enjoyable. It seems like From Software fixed all the things that I had to nitpick about bosses of the regular game and put together a serie of bosses and enemies that are very challenging but at the same time freaking awesome.

A must buy for anyone wanting to play Bloodborne.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Beat Hazard 2 PC/Steam 8.5/10.

I'm 'into' music based games like Beat Hazard 2 and I really enjoyed the predecessor Beat Hazard.

I enjoy the Shadow Missions much better than the previous game, the competition is fun. I wish there were friends lists to compete against instead of globally only, but most of my friends aren't interested in the game.

I've played survival, boss mode and like both of them.

I miss the starfish boss found in the first game and there are basically snake and spaceship bosses.

It has a good amount of challenge and mixing up power ups while trying to max out the score per play is difficult.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Team Sonic Racing PC/Steam 6.5/10

I only like the game as I played through the first two games and wanted something different.

The online apparently sucks, the levels aren't better, there's no transforming vehicles, the game has Denuvo DRM, nothing has been improved or upgraded. The game even apparently has been abandoned. It also is overpriced.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Resident Evil 5

Revisiting this after a good time with RE2 Remake. It's such a clunky game, far less charmless than 4 and at times overtly frustrating and annoying with quick time events. However, in spite of it's tank nature it's still alright to play, the nature of the inventory feels like a step down from 4, having to baby your brain dead partner AI is unbelievably annoying, and micro managing weapons and equipment sucks. The shooty bits are ok, nothing really special but it's serviceable. Overall I feel the game is a bit dumb, but it's passable as a game today.

Resident Evil 6

This game is pure shit.

It does it's best to overcome the clunky nature of 4 and 5, where those games basically built enemy AI to those stiff controls, with slower lumbering enemies, breaks in their attack patterns, giving you time to craft a strategy, this game throws all that out the window by making every. single. step a chore. You will be knocked down, hit with plenty of one hit ko attacks, enemies that spawn out of nowhere (sometimes literally on top of you), shooting through cover and objects, an overtly intrusive navigation help system, corridor after corridor (no doubt streaming in new assets) of meaningless exploration and a lighting system so abhorrent as to hide the grim and busted nature of the world map.

Oh but the combat is mildly better...emphasis on mildly. You get 3 slots to give yourself abilities and it sucks. You can do special melee attacks at the cost of stamina, however it misses a lot due to shit scripting, you can slide tackle, all at more stamina cost. It's faster gameplay, you can move while aiming but what is the fucking point when the campaign design is concentrated garbage and the only mode to enjoy (Mercenary Mode) is a slog of annoyance more than anything else.

Game stinks. Royally, encompasses everything poor about game design from the 360/PS3 genre, has multiple annoying campaigns telling the same broke story from different angles and plays horribly with its busted scripting and mechanics. It's a mess, an embarrassment and I feel stupid for giving it another chance.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Dark Souls 3
8/10

As the 3rd in the souls series the game offers quite some changes that made me want to play the game and it feels good. The story is OK at best and gameplay-wise is the better souls game of the serie even with its flaws. I can't personally say is the better one when it comes to story or few other things as I haven't played the previous ones yet and not sure if I will ever try them.

After playing this game and praising Sekiro as my #1 game of the generation followed by Bloodborne you may probably wonder why Dark Souls 3 don't get any place at my top 5 games of the generation and there is a reason for that. I have realized what actually attract me to those other two games and that is From Software great weight and mechanics injected into a great gameplay. What am talking about is that wonderful sense of weight when wearing different weapons and hitting hard against a oponent and getting both sound and visual feedback in a very special way followed by an awesome presentation. Sadly enough not even From Software itself has perfected what am looking for but Sekiro and Bloodborne are the proof that they are the masters of what I love about video games of that kind.

The game offers many cool bosses even though few are kinda meh. However, the gameplay(even if not perfect) is fantastic and have some cool enemies and puzzles waiting for you all over the place. This may be not a game for everyone but definitely a game worth a try for everyone that love challenges and something more than usual scripted games have to offer this days and far from the generic gameplay of popular games that doesn't even make it in my top 5 games of the generation list.

My issue with sound and visual feedback goes back to a very bitter experience in the past with one of my beloved franchise and that is Double Dragon. As a huge fan of the serie I used to play every single version that came out but one specially ruined my love for the game changed the way I look at games forever and that was Double Dragon 3 for the Sega Genesis. That game lacked visual and audio feedback to a extend that I had a hard time touching another version until many years later in the SNES which obviously do not suffer from the same issue. Because of that I create a hate towards any game that lacks visual and audio feedback and totally hate some japanese games with huge swords where characters move their swords like paper and then the visual feedback is so bad that it look like hitting thin air.

Here is a video of Double Dragon 3 on the Sega Genesis:

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Dark Souls 3 DLC #2: Ringed City
9/10

What a fantastic DLC even if slightly short. Dark Souls 3 and Souls games in general are known to be hard AF but in reality once you get the idea it gets pretty easy to get through the levels and beat the bosses. However, Ringed City starts pretty brutal with enemies that wants to eat you alive and from start to end the aggressiveness of the game is insanely high.

Bosses where fantastic too and only 1 boss was pretty easy to beat but still managed to give me some fun. Gael the final boss is what makes this DLC even better and just as much as I praised the optional boss Nameless King Gael was nothing but awesomeness from start to end. The entire presentation and boss fight is very aggressive and it was a joy to sweat and feel the adrenaline while fighting him.

Next is going to be the DLC #1 so Sister Friede is waiting to get slashed by the Nameless Souls Slayer..... ME!

nameless king.jpg

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Renzo Racer PC/Steam.

Yes Virginia there are kart racers worse than Team Sonic Racing and even at $0.50 Groupees they aren't worth playing.

It only wasted 12 minutes of my life to learn that lesson.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Dark Souls 3 DLC #1: Ashes of Ariandel
8/10

Another fantastic DLC with many surprises and a relatively good final boss. My only complain about the DLC is how short it was as only have 2 bosses to offer and that's it. Apart from that enemies are more aggressive than the regular story but not as aggressive as on the second DLC.

One of the surprises I got was to find out that the last boss is a NPC at first and then the fun starts once you trigger certain things which was nice to watch. Another thing worth mentioning is that I beat the second DLC first since I was transported to it after beating the last boss of the regular story after finding a lamp near the one before the last boss. Probably because I took the harder way I was able to acquire some nasty weapons that made the first DLC easy as I pretty much slashed my way through with two heavy and impressive swords.

1. Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords

A sword that slashes enemies even with a shield but to optain that you will have to beat a relatively hard enemy right before the second boss of the second DLC.

2. Gael's Greatsword

That sword pretty much eats Sister Friede for breakfast but requires you to beat Gael one of the hardest bosses in order to get it.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Nioh
7.5/10

This game was in my radar for quite long time but never managed to give a proper try. Thanks to my bro @Khelben I was willed to give the game a second chance and while not perfect I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Nioh in my opinion is a good game with great potential but it suffer from many things that prevent the game to be so much better. First of all it tries to be a "Souls" game while providing the Team Ninja gameplay which is great but the execution was poorly made. In one hand you have moves that consume a lot of stamina and in the other you have poor mechanics to execute them well which makes you run out of stamina quite a lot of times and end up staying like an idiot waiting for the enemy to stab you (what a horrible mechanics idea).

In my opinion the biggest flaw of the game is the high focus on stamina and the wrong balance in mechanics. For instance after figuring that flaw I focused into improving my stamina(heart) as a result with the powerful weapons the game turn into a hack 'n' slash game rather than what it should be and with it completely destroying what the game was probably meant to be. Apart from that we have the next flaw of the game and that is variety. As already mentioned the stamina play a big role in the game but as if that was all enemies from start to end of the game have 'puddles' that affect your stamina in a big way and while it was ok at the start its used over and over again to the point that gets too repetitive.

Another issue is the fact that you collect tons of items thrown by the enemies and at the beginning helps you to level up by selling those and getting the Amritas but soon enough you will end up with tons of junk that you can't trade in because the amount of Amritas required to level up is so high that you will never make it. The other issue I see is that you get tons of money and if you watch my videos you can see a huge amount of it but the question is... where the hell do you spend that money? where do you buy items? things like that were horribly made.

Here is a video I made to show you how it turns into a hack 'n' slash:

Still the game have some great potential and hope they fix a lot of those problems with the upcoming version. What I personally liked most are the great cut scenes that fit perfectly with the game as well as the great ending that sadly not many games offer this days. Overall a game I would recommend to play while keeping in mind the points I just mention here.

A game isn't automatically great just because is hard but requires far more than that....

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I've been thinking of buying it but I'm concerned I might not be a good enough gamer to play it. I still haven't played Dark Souls and nearly purchased the sequel on PC.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the first Sin
7.5/10

Originally I was thinking to give the game a 6 or perhaps a 5 because when you play other games of the serie the game feels extremely clunky. However, by the end the game gets better and all of sudden enemies and bosses move more natural and gets aggressive just as Souls games are. The game starts very slow and provides a slightly boring experience that not many may like.

The main issue is that enemies are kinda dumb and bosses too slow to even bother building any strategy to beat them not to mention clunky movements and animations. For instance you can keep moving around them and not even have to roll to evade their moves because they are dumb enough to miss you. At the middle of the game I reached a point when I was about to stop playing the game because it felt like a different game out of the souls serie but as mentioned all of sudden everything changed and up till the end things kept getting better and better.

The game mechanics as any souls game is well made and the puzzles are well placed at times making you scratch your head a little. The dungeons are a little confusing at times but overall well made with very few glitches to be found. It took me a while to reach the final boss just to find out how easy it is to beat.

Overall not the best of the serie but with some patience is a nice game. Am thinking right now to do the dlcs and will rate that as well later on.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Part of me really wishes Dark Souls 2 wasn't a sequel to Dark Souls, but an original story that didn't try to tie to the first game.

From delivered enough of a difference between Demon's and Dark that it felt like different entities with different traits, DSII I thought was a poor sequel, but could have been a fantastic game if left to it's own idea.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, all these games are so similar in some way, but each hold their own identity and flair. DS II and to a degree III (a best of in my mind) are good games, but to me not as sequels.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Dammit, I keep trying to avoid buying Dark Souls 2 and you guys keep saying nice things about it.

At least if I do get it, I won't get the flack I'd get from buying say a Senran Kagura game. ;)

I'd just get the, are you going to play it or not, comment.

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
The Outer Worlds: 7/10

Yes, I will be comparing this to the Fallout games made by Bathesda, with a game resembles those games so much it's hard not to.

The game starts out pretty good, the writing is exceptional, but when I'm near the end of the game, I can't help but feeling a bit disappointed. 20+ hours into the game I started feeling something is missing, in fact, a lot is missing. There is no boss fights, no epic moments. No random encounters, exploration is just that, running around the map, shooting the same mobs, loots the same random loots, very little things to do when you are in the open map out of a town.

The shooting mechanic is good, much better than what Bathesda had to offer, lots of weapons to choose from but I am pretty much stuck with the same guns through out the game, either because they felt the same, or maybe because I can only have 4 weapons in my wheel.

The writing is where the game shines, I like clicking through the dialogs, hearing out everything the NPCs have to say because they are just that interesting. All the quests in this game are very well written, they are all fun to do and don't feel like hassles.

The scenery graphics looks amazing but the characters model and animations are a bit janky, it almost felt like they came straight out of a Bathesda's Fallout game (with some improvements of course).

It is a great game, limited by its budget, pretty sure most of that is spent on the writing and voice acting, it really shows.

I finished the game, and:
There is some cool moment in the end if you're in good terms with the factions(but all too familiar if you played New Vegas), also the only time resembles a proper boss fight.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Part of me really wishes Dark Souls 2 wasn't a sequel to Dark Souls, but an original story that didn't try to tie to the first game.

From delivered enough of a difference between Demon's and Dark that it felt like different entities with different traits, DSII I thought was a poor sequel, but could have been a fantastic game if left to it's own idea.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, all these games are so similar in some way, but each hold their own identity and flair. DS II and to a degree III (a best of in my mind) are good games, but to me not as sequels.
They are very similar but they all focus in very different strategies. Bloodborne is more like the main serie but without the shield in the mechanics which IMO is the best way to go even for the main series. Sekiro is very different as it focus more in counter and overall precision perfection which is why is for me the hardest and best game of them all. However, the best thing about them all is the shared core mechanics and gameplay which you can notice no matter which game you play.

9521 - 9540 of 9608 Posts