Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rare Morocco explosives seizure - for fishing

RABAT (Reuters) - Moroccan police have questioned three men after seizing explosives and detonators, apparently for use in fishing, state news agency MAP reported on Wednesday. Police had "recently" seized 200 sticks of dynamite and 115 detonators in a car and arrested its 67-year-old driver in the Mediterranean port city of Nador, MAP quoted a police source as saying. A middleman and supplier were also questioned.

They raided his house and found 485 detonators.

"The explosives were being used in traditional fishing and for digging wells," the police source said.

Such seizures are rare in Morocco where explosives and firearms are subject to tough laws and close surveillance.

MAP did not say if the men were charged or freed.

Two years ago, bombs by suspected Islamists killed 45 people in the business capital Casablanca.
How can dynamite fishing be "traditional"?

·
Programmer/Animator
262 Posts
It was kindof traditional. It was earlier known as "Blasting" if i'm correct. It was still in effect until very recently in a few slow civilising countries. It kills the whole lot of fish and aquatic life within a range of 50-200 yards or more, depending on the no of dynamites. It is traditional since it started around a decade after the invention of blackpowder and dynamites.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Otrivin said:
It was kindof traditional. It was earlier known as "Blasting" if i'm correct. It was still in effect until very recently in a few slow civilising countries. It kills the whole lot of fish and aquatic life within a range of 50-200 yards or more, depending on the no of dynamites. It is traditional since it started around a decade after the invention of blackpowder and dynamites.

Here in the usa in the south there are somepeople who fish with their hands in streams. Now thats old school.

·
Programmer/Animator
262 Posts
way too old. but old methods do work, guys, isnt that how bears fish, but they have both hand and head in although.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Otrivin is right; this form of fishing is still practiced in a few countries.

It’s a very barbaric practice, though, and it completely destroys ecosystems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
...or the author meant "instead of traditional..." instead of "in traditional...". But of course it could also be traditional fishing, although I can`t remember where I first heard of this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts