Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to this emulation thing and I am trying to burn a CD of a game and got a bunch of files labeled *.rar *.r00 *.r01 etc. Do I need to only extract the *.rar file then burn or do I actually extract all of them?

·
Registered
513 Posts
>I am trying to burn a CD of a game and got a bunch of files
>labeled *.rar *.r00 *.r01
The .rar and .rXX files compose one particular archive that has been segmented. Download WinRAR (if you haven't already) select the first archive in the series (the one that ends with the .rar extention) and hit Extract. If it prompts you, select "All files in the series."*

*-Note that the above is only my recollection, I haven't used WinRAR in quite some time.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Maybe thats because they're both file compression utilities that work in nearly the exact same way. Winrar can compress a bit more though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>does that mean I can compress other types of files?
An RAR archive can contain most any file you can throw at it, generally anything you could compress in a zip can be put into a rar. Of course keep in mind that any file that's inherently lossy (mp3s, jpgs, mpgs, etc) won't shrink much, regardless of the compression used.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Cluthu said it all.
BTW I think that winrar can extract .ace(yet another type of compression) files also. cluthu?

C

·
0 Posts
WinRAR can extract many filetypes, but .ace is iffy, since they change their compression algorithms way too much.. I would think WinRAR would handle 1.x .ace archives, but surely not later 2.x, maybe early 2.x, though...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by CDBuRnOuT
WinRAR can extract many filetypes, but .ace is iffy, since they change their compression algorithms way too much.. I would think WinRAR would handle 1.x .ace archives, but surely not later 2.x, maybe early 2.x, though...
True. The only sure way to extract a .ace archive is to use WinACE. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts